PDA

View Full Version : Tafe course

DoNotTurnBack
25th Jun 2009, 03:42
Hi fellow prunes!!

This will be my first post, this Is soo exciting!!!
Have been a fan of this fourm for a while and always checking for new
post everday, so now it's my turn to post something.

I wannt advise from people who know about the cert 4 tafe Course.

Basically is it worth while doing??

Cheers
DNTB

Xcel
25th Jun 2009, 04:25
in a word.. no. been there done that... cancelled my diploma course and stopped at cert iv as it really was taking double the time...

at tafe you sit the exams but they arent recognised by casa and vice versa. So you have to resit them again anyway taking a day off tafe to do so.

the only advantage is if your a full time student then it can be free at tafe... and if your really really bad at study you get a whole year to do what should take you a month...

Most schools can offer it in conjunction with your flight training... so if your doing the flight training then a cert iv is basically a cpl, diploma is cpl with either instructor or instrument rating and generally add on the atpl subjects at some places...

just look for vetab approved training and shop around i guess...

goodluck. :ok:

D-J
25th Jun 2009, 05:27
Did the cert IV through TAFE SA a few years back & can highly recomend them. ended up with a far greater knowledge base than self study or what a flight school taught. Yes it takes longer but it's worth it, don't know about TAFE NSW but in SA the course was great

DoNotTurnBack
25th Jun 2009, 05:29
Xcel

Mate thanx for com, that's exactly what I'm really wanting to hear what people have to say about it that have gone and done it that way. And your abs right the flight school I'm at do both ppl and cpl course.

Sorry for being vague but do you think the knowledge level is the same in either case???

Xcel
25th Jun 2009, 19:38
It gave me a good heads-up but ultimately had to re-study for casa anyway...

seeing as your in sydney are you talking about ultimo?

If you want to just get it over and done with go to a vetab school.. your casa exams count as your tests basically and issue of cpl will coincide with cert iv. If you want lectures on relevant and in depth training perhaps look at uni... there was only one teacher at tafe i really enjoyed and he ended up working at the local flying club of a weekend anyway, so i could fly with him and pick his brain all day one on one.

after leaving part way through for the atpl part of the diploma course... it was once i started self study those same subjects and then moved onto the uni course i realised the difference... you do get what you pay for... 6 weeks with len sails is 1000 times better than the year it takes to cover the same content at tafe. it is aimed at the lowest common denominator and tafe gets some lowlifes... out of my course there was only 1 other of 50 that went on to fly. Where as the flight school people wanted to be there and the difference in professionalism is huge...

anyway jsut my opinion as you can see d-j also has another as would many others...

D-J
25th Jun 2009, 22:27
seems as tafe nsw is run quite differently....

back in sa we had 3 very experienced lecturers (ex RFDS & CASA) who really knew their stuff & we only sat the casa exams, the students were a good bunch to ;)

shame about the nsw mob... (tafe SA was considered the ducks guts & better than uni sa course at the time)

DoNotTurnBack
26th Jun 2009, 01:57
Xcel

matey are you talking about Peter???
I have heard about the lowlies before and I must say I don't
wanna be stuck in that enviro, but you mentioned Len sails?

Who's that? Does he do ground theory work

Anyways guys thanx heaps on your feedback I'll be heading to
tafe on Thursday to speak with the head and check the place out.

dylansmith088
14th Feb 2012, 08:50
Cert 4 course is available check out:
AMA (http://www.ama.edu.au/) PMP (http://www.amacademyonline.com/) TAFE (http://www.coursesonline.com.au/)