PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe this ???.

HANOI
25th Jun 2009, 01:13
From todays "National" newspaper in PNG.

Airlines PNG appoints new CEO
AIRLINES PNG has named Gary Toomey as its new chief executive.
Mr Toomey’s previous position was as president and chief executive of the Air New Zealand group, with annual turnover of NZ$8 billion (K 13.8 billion), 26,000 employees and over 200 aircraft.
Since leaving Air New Zealand, Mr Toomey has managed his own consultancy business which serviced regional and domestic airlines in developing countries in the Asia region and consulting with one of the largest hospitality groups in the world.
Prior to joining Air New Zealand, Mr Toomey served as deputy CEO chief financial officer and executive director at Qantas Airways Ltd.
In this role Mr Toomey had overall responsibility for the operations, subsidiaries and finance of the Qantas Group.
Mr Toomey also spent three years as a non-executive director of the ANZ Banking Group.

Talk about Land of the Unexpected !!!.

tipsy2
25th Jun 2009, 02:34
Can you believe this

Absolutely!

Peter Brady
25th Jun 2009, 02:47
Who's running the book on how long he will last. Not something you can naturally associated with Gary 'the good life' Toomey, who luvved having the limos and the penthouse suites at the 6 star hotels around the world.
PNG being the great leveller it is will soon show him how things are done at the coalface.

Buster Hyman
25th Jun 2009, 02:52
:ugh:

One word....

SELL!!!!

Mach E Avelli
25th Jun 2009, 12:05
T'was a short time there when APNG coulda given Pixie a run for its money. Opportunity lost.

Sue Ridgepipe
25th Jun 2009, 13:22
mm that's funny...no mention of Ansett anywhere?
Perhaps they forgot about that?

Trex wantok
7th Jul 2009, 21:24
Is it just me or does anybody else reckons that this fella is way too qualified for this job?. What the hell is he doing with a second level operator like APNG? I agree with you Mach, I think APNG lost its chance to give Pixie a run for their money. I guess time will tell:suspect:

Plastic fantastic
7th Jul 2009, 22:00
Don't know about the qualifications but, what about the track record?
Can't say too much for that!
Maybe APNG is too good an airline to be trusted to a lame duck manager

Aim Point
7th Jul 2009, 22:49
Looks like he's sliding back down the greasy pole!:E

Che cows with guns
9th Jul 2009, 09:59
He does seem over qualified. Perhaps he is on the greasy poll down, maybe he has learnt from past experiences and will resurrect a career, who knows.
Running an Airline in PNG will certainly be a challenge.
I think he was running his own consultancy business recently. Guess there is not much demand for people who grab your watch and tell you the time, these days.
One thing for sure The Wild group of companies and Simon Wild won't be giving him too much latitude. It, despite being a public company is still very much under their control.
Good times ahead I feel for A/PNG. PX better be wary. A/PNG is quite successfully tapping into the PNG peoples psyche, all it needs is someone to drive the ship forward, is Toomey the man? Time will tell.
CHE
Cow with gun

Waghi Warrior
17th Nov 2009, 04:55
What do the ex Ansett chaps who frequent the Dero Club think about this ?
When are they going to hire Bob Hawke ?

kellykelpie
18th Nov 2009, 03:52
In defence of Mr Toomey, I think Ansett's future was already fated when he took over.

Waghi Warrior
18th Nov 2009, 04:56
I totally agree KK.

Stubby
18th Nov 2009, 05:42
I agree as well too, ...next topic.:bored: