PDA

View Full Version : Jobs

mike172
24th Jun 2009, 16:13
I went for an interview with Norvic a week ago and got the rejection letter today:sad:. Anyway, I want to move on and find a new job fast.
I currently work in a shop and I HATE it. Hate doesn't even come close to be honest. I've got a PPL and have always wanted to be a pilot but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I don't have a uni degree but I want a job in the aviation industry.
I live in Cambridge and was thinking about asking the guys at Marshalls in the light aircraft area if I could lend a hand. Even cleaning up and doing the crap jobs I really don't mind. If anyone has got a contact for someone at Marshalls that would be great.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks!

NutLoose
25th Jun 2009, 01:54
Damn I was hoping you would get in, check your pm's

mike172
25th Jun 2009, 08:43
Yeah, I had high hopes too. The interview seemed to go well, very informal and relaxed but I guess they found someone better.

Getting a job right now is a nightmare, I just hope something else like this pops up soon!

Thanks for your help NL. :ok:

jpoth06
27th Jun 2009, 13:00
It will be tough getting a job as an un-licenced engineer at the moment, they require experience more than anything.

It may be worth looking out for apprenticeships with various airlines, or you could try emailing/ringing different companies to see if they need a helping hand.

mike172
27th Jun 2009, 13:08
I've been looking at apprenticeships for airlines as well as Rolls Royce and Airbus, however applications have closed for this year for everythings I've looked at so far. I was going to write to companies in the industry as you recommend and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

mike172
27th Jun 2009, 16:42
Also, has anyone got names and adresses I should sending letters to for Marshalls, Duxford etc...

Any help would be much appreciated.

jpoth06
27th Jun 2009, 17:56
Some pretty good lists here (http://www.raes.org.uk/cmspage.asp?cmsitemid=Careers_Job-hunting_CompanyListings). :ok:

mike172
27th Jun 2009, 19:25
jpoth06, that's great, cheers!

mrmagooo
27th Jun 2009, 20:21
You "want to be a pilot but that isnt going to happen anytime soon"

If you want to be a pilot then stick to it. I have a friend who has the qualifications to be a pilot and can't get a job. He constantly says he should have stuck to engineering like its something easy, second rate. Well I will tell you now that if you dont want to do it and don't have the drive to do it you stand zero chance of passing all 16 exams to become a licensed engineer. I have friends who are engineers and half way through when the non-stop revising gets in the way of everything you hit a low point and more than just a few stop doing the exams.

Just because you want a job in aviation dont think being an engineer is a back up to not getting a job as a pilot. Its bloody hard work when all you get is everyman and his dog calling you to ask why the aircraft wasnt fixed 1 hr ago. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

mike172
27th Jun 2009, 21:12
I never said it wasn't hard work. There is nothing wrong with keeping an open mind and having other options. Would I honestly rather be a pilot or an engineer? Pilot. But working with aircraft is still something that I have an interest in. Just as if I was offered a job as a fire fighter I would take it right now as it's something that I'm interested in.

NutLoose
30th Jun 2009, 10:27
Mike,

All the approved companies in the UK can be located here with contact details

Approved Organisations | Operations & Airworthiness | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1204&pagetype=90&pageid=8381)

hope that helps.

Start with 145 for commercial operators then part M for the lighter side of the industry

BCAR will cover the likes of Classic Aircraft types such as Air Atlantic