PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a free UK VPN

Open Lies
24th Jun 2009, 12:45
Im looking for a easy to setup up UK VPN which will let me use BBC iPlayer, 4OD etc whilst overseas.

Are there any free, reliable and easy to setup up VPNs that you could recommend please?

Bushfiva
24th Jun 2009, 13:28
You need to search on "proxy", not "VPN". I've not used any UK-based services for iPlayer, so I won't name any. The problem with iPlayer and others of its ilk is that it eats proxy bandwidth, so you may find it hard to find a free proxy. If you choose to pay, reckon on a tenner a month.

Shunter
24th Jun 2009, 17:04
Disagree.

VPN is the way to do it. All the common proxies; ISA (which sucks donkey balls) and Squid (which is otherwise superb); give away tell-tale signs which can be filtered. VPNs not so.

Either way, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Any free proxies (usually misconfigured and having very short shelf-lives) will be battered by internet scumbags trying to cover their tracks and hence unable to support the bandwidth requirements of things like iPlayer.

Just put your hand in your pocket and be done with it. You get what you pay for.