PDA

View Full Version : LGW Spotting

TurningFinals
23rd Jun 2009, 21:08
Hi there.

I'm going to be flying through LGW in a fornights time and have a long time to wait between connections.

I am landing at the South Terminal and leaving from the North Terminal, so either terminal will do.

I'm not just looking for RWY views, but over the apron too.

I'm a dispatcher at INV and we don't get much up here, so i was hoping to see something a bit bigger down south.

I hold a full airside pass for INV, but doubt that will get me far at LGW, especially as INV isn't BAA.

Avman
24th Jun 2009, 10:02
The BAA don't want you looking at aeroplanes. It's an airport for Heaven's sake! They want you to shop, shop and shop. If you can find a window with a view keep it quiet, don't let the BAA hear about it!

Joking apart, it's been too long since I've travelled through LGW, so I can't speak from recent experience. I'm sure that by pottering about you'll find a few good vantage points. I would say though that the North terminal may only give you very limited views.

TurningFinals
24th Jun 2009, 22:58
Tim91

NT departure lounge? I'm guessing North Terminal. On the way out im flying from the North so i'll check in asap and head airside if this is the case.

Thanks to both for replying.

The biggest we get at INV is a 757, and that's only once a year! So being a bit of a spotter (im slowly coming to terms with that fact) i would hope to see something a bit bigger.

Skipness One Echo
25th Jun 2009, 07:35
There was also a rather good panoramic view in the South Terminal departure lounge but you won't be able to access that on your itinerary. Failing that you can nip out to the 26L undershoot which is very impressive if they are landing that way and is only a 2 minute wander from the South Terminal.

Access out from the Virgin Atlantic check in hall, East side, down the stairs between the toilets and the bureau de change.