PDA

View Full Version : Debunking the lo cost myth

Locked door
23rd Jun 2009, 14:23
Looks like BA are having a stab at it.

Value Calculator - Ryanair | Easyjet | British Airways (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/value-calculator/public/en_gb?openxzoneid=2&openxcampaign=value-calculator&openxbanner=value-calculator&openxtype=click)

Discuss!

racedo
23rd Jun 2009, 14:34
It ignores completely behaviour change as a result of charges or the possibilty of charges.....i.e. assummes a non rational behaviour of humans.

Carnage Matey!
23rd Jun 2009, 14:36
Would you kindly elaborate on that, 'cos I don't understand it!

ECAM_Actions
23rd Jun 2009, 14:45
I haven't independently verified the prices, but as happens elsewhere, the cheap start very cheap, get a reputation for cheap, but slowly increase prices, so unless you check every time, they end up more expensive without you really noticing.

They carry on for a while until eventually it becomes clear they're the most expensive, then the cycle starts again.

I think they call this business?

ECAM Actions.

AR1
23rd Jun 2009, 14:47
Complete no brainer. It always pays to compare airlines for short haul. Long haul then my best deals have generally come via AMEX travel - provided I'm willing to go Northwest/USAirways or similar (across the pond).
I used to go straight to BA, but the last time I took the family to DFW it was £40 each extra on BA instead of AA. Sure I can get squiffy for free on BA, but £160 buys a lot of drinks.

racedo
23rd Jun 2009, 15:02
Would you kindly elaborate on that, 'cos I don't understand it!

BA's premise is that all customers would follow along the price listings that they laid out so accordingly they can claim to be cheaper.

It ignores the fact that customers act in a rational manner and don't check in luggage, limit size of bags, check in at home, print boarding passes at home, obtain an electron card and don't eat and drink on the plane etc.

luvly jubbly
23rd Jun 2009, 15:09
How does it ignore this when there's a choice for options that have no extra charge? :ugh:

I think my company should look at this when booking seats, as they tend to imagine that FR are cheaper on certain routes.

ie I travel with at least a 20kg case, whenever I position.
I recently went from PIK to DUB with the majority of our crew having over 15kg luggage, resulting in the Company credit card taking a hammering. Would probably have been cheaper to fly with Aer Lingus in the first place......

FrankLeeSpeakin
23rd Jun 2009, 15:18
"Pay with Visa Electron debit card (accepted soon on ba.com)"

Always read the small print - or in this case the bit in brackets.
In other words right now folks we do NOT accept the electron debit card.

As soon as I see my first asterisk/small print/bracketed phrase, I stop reading.

altogethernow
23rd Jun 2009, 15:20
I think BA have made quite a good stab at the comparison chart - but they've missed the latest trick by Ryanair - online check in is no longer free except when they make it so by special promotion :}

babymike737
23rd Jun 2009, 15:20
so checking in at the airport, needing to take a bag, and having a cup of coffee is irrational? If it Cost nothing to do the above what irrational person would pay? Also to arrive at an airport within close proximity to the said destination is rational!:ok: No wonder Ryanair plug Hertz!

FrankLeeSpeakin
23rd Jun 2009, 15:26
You cannot take a flight without checking in or paying taxes so is this not legally considered part of the basic cost of the flight???

My flabber is ghasted yet again.

Davidsoffice
23rd Jun 2009, 15:43
"Also to arrive at an airport within close proximity to the said destination is rational!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif No wonder Ryanair plug Hertz!"

What percentage of an aircraft's passengers actually want to go to the quoted destination? People travelling on business may hire a car anyway and may be visiting several places on the one trip so what does it matter that the airport is 5 miles or 25 miles away from the quoted destination?

G-AWZK
23rd Jun 2009, 16:04
what does it matter that the airport is 5 miles or 25 miles away from the quoted destination?

When it is 60 or 70 miles from the quoted destination it can be quite significant. :ugh:

dueber
23rd Jun 2009, 16:06
I'm glad I don't have to pay for other peoples 23kg of luggage when I only have hand luggage.
For me Ryanair is still the cheapest option, because I only pay the things I need. I only have to get from A to B with a small amount of luggage.

I can imagine one would fly with BA if he/she has to carry for example the 23kg. But why should the other passengers pay for this ???

Thank you Ryanair !

(The only thing I really hate is the creditcard fare......)

FrankLeeSpeakin
23rd Jun 2009, 17:10
Whats this nonsense about "quoted destination".
You fly to an AIRPORT - not a city or town.
Lots of dumb punters moaned that they "found themselves a hundred miles from Frankfurt" on Ryanair..like there is only one Frankfurt and like they DID NOT READ THE AIRPORT LABEL. How dumb do they come?
Fly cheap and do not read the damned booking form? - get what you deserve :-).

no sponsor
23rd Jun 2009, 19:22
Nice bit of work from BA - they just need to put that in a national newspaper prior to the summer season.

The number of Ryanair self check-in kiosks at STN are now numerous. The check-in desk for bags looks horrendous with huge queues. Apart from the same-day/24hr business trips, most people I know take bags which need to be checked-in. The thought of taking the family on holiday with Ryanair and coping with those check-in queues is too much for me. Getting kicked in the nuts for 250 pounds plus for bags would ruin the vacation.

FrankLeeSpeakin
23rd Jun 2009, 20:31
FRANKFURT Hahn?
I stand corrected - that is indeed how Ryanair label it on their booking site and that is a tad deceptive of them.
On arrivals/departures info I see it described as HAHN only so it is not confused with FRA.
Bloody hell what a weasly world lo-cost airlines is!

daikilo
23rd Jun 2009, 21:02
I have just checked fares on a return flight I am planning in July where BA and an LCC offer comparable service. The LCC is significantly cheaper than BA. That said, on one of my recent trips I chose the LCC out + BA return to obtain the lowest cost.

racedo
23rd Jun 2009, 22:29
FRANKFURT Hahn?
I stand corrected - that is indeed how Ryanair label it on their booking site and that is a tad deceptive of them.

Given that it was Fraport when they the owners of Frankfurt and Hahn to designate the Airport as Hahn then need to ask why they did it.

Southend is designated as London Southend then perhaps you need to raise it with them.

Right Touch
23rd Jun 2009, 23:09
Fine if you live within the M25.

BA would appear to assume that most of the UK population does so hence its complete withdrawal from the regions.

What BA seem to forget is that many will choose a loco to fly to their destination as they can do it hassle free from their own local regional airport.

Any extra savings BA claim soon evaporate into thin air when associated transport costs are factored in.

wowzz
24th Jun 2009, 11:02
It seems a bit pointless for BA to advertise thier costs versus LoCo operators, when they have just cancelled my flight from Alicante to LGW in January, which I only booked a week ago. This route I would have thought to be a key sector into Spain [still an important holiday and ex-pat destination] but it would appear that BA cannot make it pay.

MUFC_fan
24th Jun 2009, 12:43
It seems a bit pointless for BA to advertise thier costs versus LoCo operators, when they have just cancelled my flight from Alicante to LGW in January, which I only booked a week ago. This route I would have thought to be a key sector into Spain [still an important holiday and ex-pat destination] but it would appear that BA cannot make it pay.

I know! The cheek of them attacking the airlines that have forever used them as a public example just after they cancel your flight!:eek: How rude...

I think it is good BA are "givin' 'em some back":ok:

Just shows that from once being very cheap, U2 and FR are now being compared to full service airlines! Raising prices or what?!

My advice: Calculate EVERYTHING - from public transport/car to airport at either end, plus flight price etc. etc.

racedo
24th Jun 2009, 12:53
My advice: Calculate EVERYTHING - from public transport/car to airport at either end, plus flight price etc. etc.

BA definitely on a loser if they do that as How many industrial disputes since 2000 have forced passengers to cancel flights, How many bags delayed, lost and this before T5, fuel surcharges etc.

Doing a comparison is one thing BUT better make sure your own prices are really comparable.

Crusher1
25th Jun 2009, 07:34
We manufacture parts for the mine and quarry industry (bear with me it's relavent, honest!). At first we could sell parts at less than half the price of the big manufacturers by sourcing differently, marketing on the internet and generally having a lower cost base.

Eventually the big boys catch up a bit and try to compete on price, which to a certain extent they now do. However, had my company and other similar ones not been around then my guess is that prices would still be very high, and were we all to dissapear I can guarantee that the big boys would immediatly increase their prices back to old levels.

I well remember having to pay quite ridiculous fares to travel around Europe, and without FR, EZY etc my guess is that nothing would have changed.

BA will only have prices that are competetive as long as low cost carriers are forcing them to compete, take them away and scheduled air travel will once again be beyond the reach of many.

Rinty
25th Jun 2009, 09:43
Probably the exception to the rule but if you fly FR to Belfast City you land 1 1/2 miles from the city centre. If you fly to Belfast international you land 25 miles and about 3/4 hours journey away

ItsAjob
25th Jun 2009, 10:28
The whole business has lost grip of reality.
Do folk really think they can fly across Europe for a matter of pence?
Come on wake up, no business can sustain that sort of rubbish.
How much did your last taxi home from town cost you?????

Binder
25th Jun 2009, 18:15
BA Heathrow to Nice for Family of four this Summer; Cheapest flights all in £772.

Easyjet same dates regional airport £412.

Sometimes BA are cheaper.

Most of the time it's a no brainer. Easyjet is cheaper!

Convince me otherwise.

Binder

Seat62K
25th Jun 2009, 19:46
Okay, I thought, let's try the BA price comparison on two routes I fly which offer "low cost" competition to BA: Gatwick to Madrid and Gatwick to Alicante (easyJet and Ryanair).

So, what do I find? Yep, you guessed, BA is pulling off both routes!