PDA

View Full Version : HM Forces Compensation Scheme

cheesedoff
22nd Jun 2009, 19:29
Just found out from my younger Brother that he has received a reply from the Armed Forces Compensation Board, reference his claim. He received a gunshot wound to his back when a complete buffoon on his tank crew had a negligent discharge in Kosovo and shot him whilst he was a tank driver. A few years later he smashed his ankle up playing football in a gym with a leaking roof.

Have a guess how much compensation he was awarded? Needless to say he refused it...

£2400

Rambling Sid
22nd Jun 2009, 21:45
A few years later he smashed his ankle up playing football in a gym with a leaking roof.

I take it from your statement that the original gun shot wound didn't end his career in the Army? I take it also that the leaking roof caused his ankle injury, in which case why didn't he report the water on the floor of the gym as a potential hazard?

cheesedoff
23rd Jun 2009, 06:41
The big hole in his back did not stop him going on Op's, however, subsequent 'fistycuffs' with the bloke who shot him may have held back promotion.

The gym and leaking roof were reported and their RSM. He 'ordered'? them to play football.

Just smacks of madness when somebody claims for RSI and receives nigh on half a mil.

spheroid
23rd Jun 2009, 07:10
I find it astonishing that this guy had the neck to claim for an ankle injury whilst playing footie in the gym.... Please tell your brother to zip up and get back to work.

cheesedoff
23rd Jun 2009, 08:23
20 odd guys were ordered to play footie in a gym with a leaking roof and he went over on his ankle. In doing so the medics buggered up the operation. He now has one leg nearly 1 1/2" shorter than the other due to a catalogue of errors.

Spheriod, I will happily put him in touch with you as I am sure the discussion would be good.

cheesedoff
23rd Jun 2009, 08:28
Forgot to add:

They were between patrols in NI at the time. No PT kit. Just a few lads in uniform.

c130jbloke
23rd Jun 2009, 08:38
If he's looking for sympathy, tell him to use the cash and buy a dog.

Grabbers
23rd Jun 2009, 08:58
Or he could buy a man-suit and then feel free to cope. He may even get a discount on account of needing less skin on one leg. Or, he could buy a pirate outfit. Aaarrrrggghhh.

pigsinspace
23rd Jun 2009, 09:00
I used to avoid Gyms in my 29 years for purely that reason...

They are dangerous!!!!!.......I did once twist an ankle on a fitness test.

Can I have a dog please?

But I never got shot in a tank....not much call to be in a tank as an L1011GE (ex)..

maybe fuel tank? But I could not get in the access panel one I turned 21

BEagle
23rd Jun 2009, 09:31
Has he tried contacting one of those "Accident at work not your fault" legal weasels?

Ordered to commit jockstrappery (particularly Kevball) on a floor known to be wet - and thus a known identified hazard - followed by incompetent medical treatment.

Yes, he should certainly take the MoD to the cleaners. This is precisely the sort of entirely avoidable accident which H&S@W was supposed to have put an end to.

cheesedoff
23rd Jun 2009, 18:36
RS, call it a bite, call it whatever. I have no idea what planet (if at all you are from a planet) you are on. I spent a few minuntes looking for the bit I wrote asking for sympathy, suffice to say I could not find it. Furthermore, I'm chuffed to understand that you find that the 'order' was reasonable.

I think you need to go and see your boyfriend fella. Let him give you some of his sympathy.

VigilantPilot
23rd Jun 2009, 18:51
What's this got to do with military aviation? :confused:

shawtarce
23rd Jun 2009, 19:08
Looking at the table of tarrifs, he probably got the cash for the ankle injury, not the gun shot injury, although if he was fit enough to fight the guy that shot him, the injury at that time was hardly life threatening.

There's only a limited pot of cash available, perhaps it would best best to use it for those soldiers, sailers and airmen that really deserve it.

If you want to read the tarrif table, the links below:

Ministry of Defence | Error | Page not found (Error 404) (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/PersonnelPublications/Pensions/AFCS/AfcsTariffOfInjuries.htm)

spheroid
23rd Jun 2009, 19:20
In the Armed forces we don't do "reasonable" orders. We do legal orders or illegal orders. There is no doubt that ordering the men under your command to go and play football is perfectly legal.

CirrusF
23rd Jun 2009, 20:17
Have a guess how much compensation he was awarded? Needless to say he refused it...

£2400

That seems fairly generous for a twisted ankle. If he doesn't want it why not write to MOD and ask that they pay it to more deserving causes?

Rambling Sid
23rd Jun 2009, 21:48
I spent a few minuntes looking for the bit I wrote asking for sympathy, suffice to say I could not find it

I spent a few minutes looking for the bit of what you actually hoped to gain from this thread, suffice to say I could not find it.:confused:

I spoke to my boyfriend and he said he would bitch slap you, if you wrote to me like that again.

BEagle
24th Jun 2009, 07:12
There is no doubt that ordering the men under your command to go and play football is perfectly legal.

Perhaps. But if you are told of a hazard which could well cause injury, then choose to ignore it and repeat your order, you should expect to be held liable if an injury is subsequently occasioned. As reportedly happened in this case.

We all groan about 'elf 'n safety, but it was set up to prevent such stupidty as ordering people to play football on an unsafe surface.

Next thing you'll be teling me that, if the RSM orders you to play football in a minefield, you wouldn't question the order....:hmm:

Runaway Gun
24th Jun 2009, 07:31
I wish some of those jumped up precious professional football twits were ordered to go play in a minefield.... might actually earn their pay...

Rambling Sid
24th Jun 2009, 09:33
We all groan about 'elf 'n safety, but it was set up to prevent such stupidty as ordering people to play football on an unsafe surface.

Well I guess next time they come across an uneven wet piece of ground in Afghanistan where the Taliban are hiding, they should question the order to fight them. You never know they might hurt their ankle. "Sorry Sir elf an safety an all that".:hmm:
The original poster never said whether the payment was for the gunshot wound or the ankle injury. However it appears it was the medical negligence that seems to have caused the long term problems so maybe he should sue the MOD for that.

c130jbloke
24th Jun 2009, 10:14
Or maybe the original post was a load of hoop and should never have been made ? :ok:

EOSM37
24th Jun 2009, 16:23
Just found out from my younger Brother that he has received a reply from the Armed Forces Compensation Board, reference his claim. He received a paper cut wound to his finger when a complete buffoon in his office had a rogue piece of paper in Kosovo and shoved it at him whilst he was an adminer. A few years later he broke his thumb nail drinking in a mess with a leaking roof.

£2400 million billion.

He is off to see his solicitor as that just isn't enough for the horrific injuries he suffered.

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
24th Jun 2009, 17:16
The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme...provides compensation for all injuries, ill-health and deaths that are mainly due (attributable) to service, the main cause of which occurred on or after the introduction of the scheme on 6 April 2005. (end of quote)

Negligence need not be proven by anyone. It is based on a tariff scheme and if your brothers ankle injury is as serious as you say, he should be looking at more than £2,400. If he has claimed for his gunshot wound then if it is written up well, he could be looking at more. If they are claimed together, the lower tariff of the two will be reduced by a set percentage.

The AFCS award does not affect any civil action (which would be due to the magic 'negligence' word, and bring in all sorts of extra factors. Future earnings for one.)

Ambulance chasing lawyers don't normally take on the MoD, but your local solicitors should have a Personal Injury Dept. They might even do no win - no fee, and their fee will be claimed against the MoD, not your award.

I'm fairly sure you've got to do this within 3 years of the accident.

My assessments this year?

Under personal development etc -

SPHLC is currently studying the Health & Safety at Work Act, and the Working at Height Regulations

TANTALLON
24th Jun 2009, 17:43
".......There is no doubt that ordering the men under your command to go and play football is perfectly legal........"

What a pity the RSM forgot to order them not to get injured otherwise they might have judgement passed on them by unsympathetic lardar$es like Spheroid who of course would have told the RSM what he could do with his "reasonable order" ....(oops - legal order).
It has clearly slipped the mind of some of the posters here that adventure and sport are amongst the reasons young people join up. Are you saying that we should just scrap squadron/regiment and representative sport?
Our people can risk their lives in Afghanistan on an hourly basis but heaven help them if they twist an ankle in the gym.

BEagle
24th Jun 2009, 18:37
I don't know whether it's just that some posters on this thread are as thick as pig$hit and just don't understand, or whether they're simply unwilling to accept that being ordered to play football is fine, but not if the 'pitch' has already been reported as being dangerously hazardous.

And that playing football should be considered as low a risk-free event as possible - nothing remotely the same as soldiering in a hostile environment.

I don't know why there has been such unpleasantness on this thread - £2400 for a life damaged by an entirely avoidable sports injury is certainly worth contesting.

taxydual
24th Jun 2009, 20:49
Especially when it's compare with a MoD typist injury.

A rule for one, but not for another?

Hmm

Flt Lt Mac
24th Jun 2009, 21:49
some posters on this thread are as thick as pig$hit I think your remark reference people being thick as pig**** is rather unpleasant in the same way some of their remarks are. But of course you are the almighty beagle and whatever you say goes.

I don't know why there has been such unpleasantness on this thread

boomboy
24th Jun 2009, 22:20
I think that both injuries, because they are not related to the same incident can be claimed at 100% of the relevant AFCS tariff. I know the British Legion are very interested in the whole AFCS process, therefore it may be worth giving them a call. Good luck.

BEagle
25th Jun 2009, 07:07
I think your remark reference people being thick as pig**** is rather unpleasant in the same way some of their remarks are

My apologies.....

...to any pigs who may have felt insulted by my comments.

spheroid
25th Jun 2009, 18:58
I don't know whether it's just that some posters on this thread are as thick as pig$hit and just don't understand, or whether they're simply unwilling to accept that being ordered to play football is fine, but not if the 'pitch' has already been reported as being dangerously hazardous.

And that playing football should be considered as low a risk-free event as possible - nothing remotely the same as soldiering in a hostile environment.

I don't know why there has been such unpleasantness on this thread - £2400 for a life damaged by an entirely avoidable sports injury is certainly worth contesting.

Beagle you are miles away on cuckoo land....... This chap is a parasite on humanity and should be frog marched to the edge of the earth and thrown off........ £2400 is more than enough for this free loader and We do not want this sort of person in our Armed Forces. He should take his money (my money) and walk away......... or if he wants to stay, he should zip up his man suit and get on with it.

BEagle
25th Jun 2009, 19:31
I rest my case......

Al R
26th Jun 2009, 07:33
Honestly.. what a load of spiteful, insular, myopic and small minded drivel this thread has churned out. The RAF would appear to be staffed by Super Soaraway Sun readers.

cheesedoff
26th Jun 2009, 19:11
Gents. What can I say? I have the utmost sympathy to the family, friends and colleagues of the individuals on here that have shown themselves to nothing more that a bunch of morons. Your weekends must be full of fun. Your attitudes astonish me, suffice to say that I am really glad I have 4 weeks left in the RAF. l Hope what happened to by Brother does not happen to you.

Enjoy your war boys

cheesedoff
26th Jun 2009, 19:13
Speroid, He's been out of the mob 18 months now.

SRENNAPS
26th Jun 2009, 21:28
Cheesedof,
I can understand your frustrations with some of the replies that you have received on this thread.

Unfortunately the way you presented the situation in your earlier posts did not help.

For example you mentioned a gunshot wound to your brothers back, but he still had the ability to play football.

He plays football because he is ordered to and then slips on some water that has come from a leaking roof in the Gym.

Then you say “subsequent fisticuffs with the bloke who shot him may have held back promotion”.

If that was not bad enough, you then state that that the medics “buggered up the operation”.

Now to post that kind of stuff on PPrune Military Aircrew is like a red rag to a bull for some people. They will destroy you!!!!

It has been mentioned here by yourself and other members that this site is full of people who get their information from the Sun newspaper and spend their entire weekends on pprune moaning about something or other. They particularly specialize in verbally attacking/abusing people with disgusting comments and generally preach that black is white and vice versa when it suits them. I am sorry to say that seems to be so true. Let me give you an example: Slag off any ex-serving member that dares to post on this site on one thread and then on another, slag off the government/MOD for not looking after ex-servicemen. I could give many more such examples of the hypocrisy preached here, but I am sure it would bore you.

Many years ago, PPrune was a place where you could have discussions/arguments similar to what you had in the Officers/Sgts Mess on a Friday night. Those days have long gone. Now it is full of people who don’t go to mess’s for a drink but like to stay behind the safety of a computer monitor, with an un-recognisable name, causing as much ill feeling as possible. How brave they are.

I don’t know whether the story about your brother is true or false (I would like to believe that it is true with the naivety of some of your posts) but a bit of advice: don’t look for an answer or sympathy here on this web site. You are better off popping down to your local for the discussion.

I wish you all the best leaving the RAF and I hope your brother gets what he is due. (If it is a true story).

And by the way....how come this thread has not been deleted......for not having anything to do with aviation........??

Rambling Sid
26th Jun 2009, 22:15
It has been mentioned here by yourself and other members that this site is full of people who get their information from the Sun newspaper and spend their entire weekends on PPRuNe moaning about something or other. They particularly specialize in verbally attacking/abusing people with disgusting comments and generally preach that black is white and vice versa when it suits them. I am sorry to say that seems to be so true. Let me give you an example: Slag off any ex-serving member that dares to post on this site on one thread and then on another, slag off the government/MOD for not looking after ex-servicemen. I could give many more such examples of the hypocrisy preached here, but I am sure it would bore you.

OMG srenpers you have described beagle to the letter. Have you been reading his profile?

un-recognisable name

What's your name then if it's not unrecognisable.

And by the way....how come this thread has not been deleted......for not having anything to do with aviation........??

The same could be said about a certain barbecue thread.

30AB
27th Jun 2009, 05:16
Ah, those magical fitness test pass chits just came through the post then?

taxydual
27th Jun 2009, 05:58
SRENNAPS.

Well said.

spheroid
27th Jun 2009, 09:27
Good post Srennaps.... Hear Hear

SRENNAPS
27th Jun 2009, 15:37
spheroid and taxyduel.......thanks.

I was going to comment on the lack of comments following my post....but following the huge loss by the brave Lions, I can’t be bothered.

Just about to fire up my gas BBQ, drink a beer and look at the cobwebs gathering on my beautiful Weber that I keep to the side just in case I run out of patio gas.:)

PPRuNe Pop
27th Jun 2009, 20:24
A little chat in a suitable soundproof room would have been good in the first instance - but the opportunity was lost.

This thread is going nowhere fast and is just a habitat for smart arse comments and that's about all.

Closed!