PDA

View Full Version : Best way to become a pilot?

Cube
22nd Jun 2009, 00:00
Hi guys :)

First proper post, but I just wanted some peoples opinions on my current plans!!

Basically, as everyone else, I have wanted to become a pilot since childhood (since the first time I got to visit the cockpit at age 6ish?).

Anyway, I know it is extremely competitive and hard to achieve, but a really determined person can get there.

Anyway, fast forward a few years, I am at university studying economics and econometrics, I am considering becoming an actuary (I guess similar to an accountant, but more mathematical :D) after uni, and after a few years doing the OAA Waypoint program (After this summer I will hopefully have finished my PPL!)

Anyway, I was just wondering if having a worldwide qualification (being a qualified actuary), and then seeking self-funded pilot training afterwards would be a good idea, because, although my parents own a house and are well off, I would never ever ask them to put their house up as a deposit on a loan, even if I was guaranteed a job, seriously, who would ask their parents to guarantee a £70k+ loan? Does not seem fair, considering it would take a university graduate a couple of years to make up the funding. I mean I want to become a pilot more than anything, but I would not put my parents future as a gamble on it, ever..

Thanks guys for any advise.
P.S I will be going to OBA over the summer to do my PPL, then slowly building hours over the next couple of years..