PDA

View Full Version : RAF Training Command World War 2

Martin179
21st Jun 2009, 21:48
Hello all,

I'm at Cosford at the moment, on a holding flight waiting to start my ICT Techy course (CIS OPS). Well there's jack sh** for us to do so they make us do presentations.

We have to do like a 6 min powerpoint on the RAF Training Command during World War 2. Thing is we've looked in the library and on the internet and cannot find much, we know that Training command was split into Flying Training Command and Technical Training command and we have a lot of info on Flying training command but cant seem to find much on Technical training command.

If anyone can help it would be great, we have to have it done by Thursday (25th June) so if anyone knows anything about Training command in general during world war 2 or more specifically Technical Training command it would be much appreciated http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thank you in advance.

Warmtoast
21st Jun 2009, 23:08
It's worthwhile looking in the Flight Magazine Digital Archive here:

Aviation History - Browse the History of Flight from 1909 (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/default.aspx)

and doing a search for Technical Training Command for the years you want.
When I tried it it came back with a large number of hits of magazine pages (in PDF format), which need to be examined individually. Rather time consuming, but better than nothing.

FWIW in September 1946 the following stations were part of Technical Training Command

STATION
Debden near Saffron Walden
Halton near Aylesbury
Kirkham near Preston
Locking near Weston-super-Mare
Melksham
Madley near Hereford
St. Athan near Cardiff
Weeton near Preston

Searching on the individual stations above may give further clues as to their histories.

Wensleydale
22nd Jun 2009, 08:39
There are a few facts and figures in "The Right of the Line" by John Terraine - particularly about the expansion plans needed to bring the RAF up to strength at the start of WW2. The book is on the recommended reading list for Air Power topics - perhaps our Lords & Masters should read it to find out how to recover the RAF today?