PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder March

C130 Techie
21st Jun 2009, 19:29
Myself and 2 colleagues took part in the 11th Pathfinder March yesterday.

The March is an annual event staged on the Saturday closest to 21st June (longest day) to commemorate the heroic efforts of the Pathfinder Force. Starting and finishing at RAF Wyton it it takes in the former pathfinder bases at Graveley, Oakington and Warboys in Cambridgeshire. The event starts at 4 am and walkers have 20 hours to complete the distance. Some people also choose to run the distance. This is a serious test of stamina and endurance with most of the distance covered being off road.

The Pathfinder March - Home (http://www.pathfindermarch.co.uk/)

This was our first attempt at this event and with each of us walking the full distance we completed the event in 14 hrs 25mins with very sore feet and legs but a great deal of satisfaction and some money raised for Macmillan Cancer Care.

In all just over 200 people started this well organised and well run event. It surprises me though that it's profile of the event isn't much higher. Many of my service colleagues have never heard of it. It serves as a good reminder of the heroism and the sacrifces made by so many.

I would like to pass on my thanks to the organisers, the volunteers at the checkpoints, the medics, ESS catering staff and the Air Training Corps all of whom clearly put in considerable effort to make the day a success.

The icing on the cake was being treated to a fly over by the BBMF at about the 35 mile point. It added that bit of much needed stimulation at a time when spirits were flagging.

tucumseh
21st Jun 2009, 21:12
Great effort C130. A good cause.

aw ditor
22nd Jun 2009, 08:27
"Profile" of this Walk' is not great locally in Pathfinder Country', as well as nationally. The odd one or two small paras. in local "rags". The organisers need to get better local TV and Radio coverage on both BBC, ITV, and Independent Radio. Congrats. to all who took part both walkers and supporters!

CirrusF
22nd Jun 2009, 09:07
Well done, and thanks for posting that here. I will make a note of the dates for next year as I would like to do that. At least it is nice and flat in Cambs!!

C130 Techie
22nd Jun 2009, 10:38
CirrusF

From the experience on Saturday, 'flat' is a relative term. There were certainly several 'noticable inclines' on the route which seemed to get bigger as we got more tired.

airborne_artist
22nd Jun 2009, 11:22
Just be grateful that the Pathfinder squadrons were not based in Cumberland :ok:

CirrusF
22nd Jun 2009, 12:29
Just be grateful that the Pathfinder squadrons were not based in Cumberland http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Obviously good thinking from top brass as you would not want to parachute into most of Cumberland! Though we did once jump into Carlisle Airport which was most handy as I was able to sneak back to my parents' house for a night in bed instead of in a bivvy.

aw ditor
23rd Jun 2009, 09:43
We do have hills (or lumps) in East Angular but in the event of a call-out we are blessed with the skills of the "East Anglian Mountain Rescue Team" based at the Mad Cat' Pub. at Pidley on the B1089.