PDA

View Full Version : Not the normal FAA>JAA conversion questions!

howard500
21st Jun 2009, 18:54
Hello gents,

I have been doing quite a fair bit of research for some time know and I think I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to covert a FAA CPL or ATP into a JAA ATPL (frozen or not). I am a 260 hr ME CPL IR FAA rated pilot. I hold dual Spanish & American nationalities (have lived all my life and call Spain my home) but chose to come to the US for my training because of more affordable pricing and more initial profesional routes. I am currently working on my CFI (instructor) ratings and I am planning to work in the US for a year or so to build those 1500 magical hours.

That said, I plan to go back to Europe whenever conditions (conversion/job hunting) permit it. I have pretty much decided to work with Bristol ground school to get the conversion done. The Spanish DGAC (the UK's CAA equivalent) is a bureaucratic, out of date, inept and deeply inefficient organism so I have no intention of dealing with them. Everybody has recommended to steer well clear of them, and I very much agree. So the way I plan to do things is to do my conversion and earn my JAA ATPL through the British CAA. I plan to start the Bristol distance learning program in the coming months as I see no reason to delay this (no harm in getting a frozen ATPL right?).

All this said, I have a number of questions that I just can find a clear unser to and any insight would be much appreciated.

- If you have the right to live and work in the EU, you can go to the UK to get your conversion done without having to meet any special residency requirements right?

- Once the conversion is done, the CAA issued JAA ATPL (frozen or not) is valid and recognised for employment throughout the European Union member countries right?

- Once you sit the first ATP written exam, how much time do you have to complete the remaining 13 as well as completing the flight portion of the conversion?

- If you take and pass the written exams in the UK for example, does the flight portion of the conversion have to be done in the UK or can you fly elsewhere within the EU (cheaper flight hours)?

- Once issued your JAA ATPL (frozen or not) when does it expire? Is it a time frame, or is it a question of flying certain amount of hours in a given period? If you let it expire what is the re-issuance process?

- If you initially convert an FAA CPL to end up with a frozen JAA ATPL, once you reach the flight experience requirements to unfreeze you licence, does it happen automatically or does something need to be done bureaucratically speaking?

- When it comes to obtaining a medical, what is the difference between the initial examination and the consequent ones? Must they always be done in Europe? If you get you conversion done in the UK, but then fly in another country can you renew your medical in any EU country or do you have to keep going back to the UK to renew it?

- In the United States, the FAA publishes the FAR/AIM book that contains all regulations and aeronautical information relevant to all levels of aviators. Is their a JAA equivalent?

- Possibly answering the above, what exactly is the CAA LASORS document and how does differ from the JAA JAR (section 1)?

- I understand type ratings are not transferable between FAA and JAA (either direction), they must be done under the respective bureaucratic body?

I can not say how much I appreciate any and all answers and advice you may provide.

Thank you all in advance!

Alonso

redbar1
22nd Jun 2009, 00:24
Hi Howard500,

Initially this to all Wannabees:
What on earth is a "frozen JAA ATPL"?? If you mean the ordinary CPL/ME/IR licence/ratings with the theoretical exams for the JAA ATPL, that is fine. But it is NOT a "frozen ATPL"! And it is not a "conversion", you are given a credit towards the training requirements for JAR-FCL-licences, to be precise. Please ref. JAR-FCL and ICAO Annex 1.

Now to your initial questions, Howard500:

- If you have the right to live and work in the EU, you can go to the UK to get your conversion done without having to meet any special residency requirements right?

For this, you will have to ask the UK Immigrations Authorities

- Once the conversion is done, the CAA issued JAA ATPL (frozen or not) is valid and recognised for employment throughout the European Union member countries right?

Any proper JAA licence is valid throughout the JAA member states, NOT being the same as the EU member states

- Once you sit the first ATP written exam, how much time do you have to complete the remaining 13 as well as completing the flight portion of the conversion?

All the theoreticals have to be completed within 18 months. They remain valid for 36 months for the issue of CPL/IR

- If you take and pass the written exams in the UK for example, does the flight portion of the conversion have to be done in the UK or can you fly elsewhere within the EU (cheaper flight hours)?

General rule is, you do it all under the supervision of ONE state.

- Once issued your JAA ATPL (frozen or not) when does it expire? Is it a time frame, or is it a question of flying certain amount of hours in a given period? If you let it expire what is the re-issuance process?

.. and..
- If you initially convert an FAA CPL to end up with a frozen JAA ATPL,...

Nothing such exists. The validity of a JAA licence etc you can easily find if you look up JAR-FCL 1, section 1, Subpart A. I strongly recommend you find an FTO near to you and consult them on the finer details on the process you are contemplating!

...end up with a frozen JAA ATPL, once you reach the flight experience requirements to unfreeze you licence, does it happen automatically or does something need to be done bureaucratically speaking?

Worse than bureaucratically, ;) you will do the complete skill test for the ATP licence.

I wish you all the best in your quest, and many happy landings!:ok:
Cheers,
Redbar1

howard500
22nd Jun 2009, 04:09
Hi Redbar1,

Thanks very much! Lots of great answers in your response and much appreciated. Thanks also for the clarification about the so called frozen ATPL, I have grown used to the term as I have read it in so many places, but you are quite right that we should call things by their name and there is no such thing.

So cheers for that!