PDA

View Full Version : Library database

Lon More
21st Jun 2009, 10:57
I have a large collection of magazines going back 40 years. As I wish to downsize I've started to scan the articles i wanted onto my PC. However I can't seem to find a decent program that will enable me to index and cross index the articles.

Any suggestions?

eko4me
21st Jun 2009, 11:03
Try "EndNote". I use it at home and work and you get a 30 free trial.

Plus you can link to the pdf files of your scanned articles directly from within the catalogue.

Cheers, E4M

Lon More
21st Jun 2009, 22:27
Thanks Their URL seems broken.

eko4me
22nd Jun 2009, 05:50
Try:

EndNote Trial Version (http://www.endnote.com/endemo.asp)

E4M

cdtaylor_nats
22nd Jun 2009, 09:30
Try either comic collector or book collector at Collection Database Software for Windows and Mac OS X: catalog your inventory of CDs, DVDs, books, games, etc.. (http://www.collectorz.com)

Bushfiva
22nd Jun 2009, 11:13
I think I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but I user a product called Paperport for scanning random bits of paper. It's got OCR built in, but not accessible to the user: when you scan something, it does OCR in the background to create a searchable index of your documents. So, if I search for "rubber duck", it brings up all the documents containing that term. When I click on the document, I see the original version as scanned, not an OCR'd version. It's one of the few applications that has moved computers with me.

I've got a very fast sheet-fed double-sided scanner, which makes a huge difference, too: receipts, magazines, photos and pretty much everything else get dumped through it.

Lon More
2nd Jul 2009, 18:21
Thanks everybody

Try:

EndNote Trial Version

E4M

Not working either. I've contacted them and requested it on CD although it doesn't engender much confidence when the web site doesn't work.

CD Taylor, I looked at that but it just seems to catalogue the titles, not the articles

Bushfiva, that looks interesting . if it will work with the Dewey Decimal system it looks the way to go