PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Garmin GPS

daviojk
20th Jun 2009, 06:31
I am in the process of converting my FAA ppl to a CASA one. Having learnt in a G1000 equipped plane, I am very comfortable with their systems. I am keen to get one of their handheld systems to use when I am finally let loose in Oz airspace.

Does have anyone experience of using their 495 or the newer 695 models here in Australia? Are the map databases accurate for australian airspace ie controlled airspace boundaries, private airfields, terrain etc, or are they skewed towards north american & european systems/regulations/operations. Does anyone have experience of updating an overseas purchased unit with the Australian database?

Any insights appreciated. And any recommendations for selling outlet is appreciated as well.

Thanks

ForkTailedDrKiller
20th Jun 2009, 09:23
Does have anyone experience of using their 495 or the newer 695 models here in Australia?

296 and 496, yes. 696 not worth the money IMHO!

Are the map databases accurate for australian airspace ie controlled airspace boundaries, private airfields, terrain etc,

yes, with the Pacific database loaded

Does anyone have experience of updating an overseas purchased unit with the Australian database?

Yes, not hard to do.

Dr :8

VH-XXX
21st Jun 2009, 23:27
I got the chance to have a fiddle with a new 695 on the weekend. A very nice piece of machinery. Haven't checked RRP but it did cost around $4k. Nice unit, massive screen, pretty much just a 296/495 etc but with what looks like 3x the screen area. You can have the panel page up top for example and the map on the remainder and other combinations. Only problem I can see is that it's really pushing the friendship for a handheld which it is still claiming to be. If you're dash mounting one too you're talking what looks to be twice the height of a GNS430 or similar and $4k is a lot for a non-tso'ed device.

Highly recommended for piece of mind if you have that kind of spare cash, but there is merit in running 2 x 396/496 for redundancy running 2 x screens which will give similar results and keeps all your eggs out of the one basket.

blueloo
21st Jun 2009, 23:50
Can you load 2 databases at a time? ie If you were travelling Syd-Lax - can you have US and Pacific database?

(or do you have to switch databases at a mid-point?)

ForkTailedDrKiller
21st Jun 2009, 23:55
Can you load 2 databases at a time?

G296/396/495/496 - yes! Presumably G695/696 also.

I got the chance to have a fiddle with a new 695 on the weekend. A very nice piece of machinery. Haven't checked RRP but it did cost around $4k. Nice unit, massive screen, pretty much just a 296/495 etc but with what looks like 3x the screen area.

Given that you cannot use it as an electronic flightbag in our part of the world, as far as I am aware, - a horrendous waste of money IMHO!

VH-XXX
22nd Jun 2009, 03:34
If you are worried about your eyesight and if you are having trouble viewing your GPS then buy one, but if you are having THAT much trouble, you shouldn't be flying.

If you can't use a 296/396/495 because you can't see it, you should be converting to RA-Aus.

bentleg
22nd Jun 2009, 06:24
Excellent as an aid to Visual navigation.

You need a TSO'd GPS to do RNAV approaches under IFR. I don't think the 296 and other hand helds mentioned are TSO'd.

rjtjrt
23rd Jun 2009, 04:12
I have read that the pilot interface with the 695/696 is modelled on and similar to that of G1000 but best to double check as I may be wrong.
John

SM227
23rd Jun 2009, 08:18
Are there any hand held GPS's that are certified for GPS approaches? What about just for en-route and GPS arrivals?

Im looking at getting a hand held to assist mainly with VFR flights but I also want to use it for IFR flights too if I can, that saves me stuffing around trying to work out everyone elses different panel mounted ones! :ugh:

Any recommendations???

ForkTailedDrKiller
23rd Jun 2009, 08:23
Are there any hand held GPS's that are certified for GPS approaches? What about just for en-route and GPS arrivals?

No. That's not to say that they cannot provide useful info.

Im looking at getting a hand held to assist mainly with VFR flights but I also want to use it for IFR flights too if I can, that saves me stuffing around trying to work out everyone elses different panel mounted ones!

Very handy to have on board! Can provide a lot of non-critical information.

Any recommendations???

Garmin 495!

VH-XXX
25th Jun 2009, 23:20
Try this on the 495...... or 430 or 530 or anything for that kind of price!

http://newsletter.exclusiveconcepts.net/SkyGeek/garmin696-b.jpg

SM227
26th Jun 2009, 03:32
That skygeeek website has ther 495 at $1,595.00 plus 50 or so bucks delivered, while all the aussie sites ive checked out are charging around $3000! Am I missing something? Im also struggiling to see a major difference between the 495 and 296 except for price. :confused:

Im almost sold on one of those two, any idears on what place has the best prices?

VH-XXX
26th Jun 2009, 04:21
Try out Sporty's and www.gca.aero (http://www.gca.aero) too.

Gulf coast get me stuff within 4 days to Melbourne.

The 695 picture is deceiving in my previous post. The panel part at the top is equivalent to the complete screen size of the 296/396.

I'll post the differences for you here or you can do it yourself here:

Garmin: In the Air Product Comparison (http://www8.garmin.com/aviation/compare.jsp) - note there is no 495 in here.

296 has a 12 channel receiver.
The 495 has a 12 channel with 5 Hz update rate on maps and "Panel" instruments.

495 basemap includes: Preloaded with detailed City Navigator NT street maps and POI database

495 is slightly heavier, 14.2 ounces versus 13.6.

495 SafeTaxi Airport Diagrams preloaded, whatever they are.

495 Smart Airspace(tm), but not on the 296. Whatever that is.

495 - if you have a Garmin SL30 or 40 it changes frequencies for you or some crap.

Verbal Audio warnings for terrain. 296 only beeps at you when you are going to plough into a mountain.

Price, more than twice as much :-)

ForkTailedDrKiller
26th Jun 2009, 05:28
Try this on the 495...... or 430 or 530 or anything for that kind of price!

You can do that, and more, on a 495 and a tablet computer that you can use as an eFlightbag - and have money left over to shout the bar at your destination!