PDA

View Full Version : W7 Photoshop and Appearance Settings

Loose rivets
20th Jun 2009, 06:00
A while back Bushfiva suggested changing Appearance Settings, mentioning 16 bit something or another. As is so often the case, when I get there, there is no mention of anything like that.

Wanting to sneak a look at a photo of a certain young girl now and then, I find she's gone all pixely on Win 7. :{ I must get this right. ;)

Doom and gloom. My trusty Photoshop 7, which runs well on Vista, will not even load on W7. I Run the setup.exe as the only means of kickstarting it, but nowt happens. Is there another way to make this go?

I've tried Emulation of XP Sp2 / 3 Vista, Vista Sp 1, etc, none of them do a thing. It doesn't even tell me it's not compatible.

It asks for permission etc, but just does not do anything after that question box.

green granite
20th Jun 2009, 07:26
Try downloading and installing Irfanview IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide (http://www.irfanview.com/) It's fairly basic but a good picture viewer.

As for why Photoshop wont install I've no idea. You could ask the question here: Windows 7 Software - Windows 7 Forums (http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-software/)

hellsbrink
20th Jun 2009, 08:27
Loose Rivets

There must be a problem with your Photoshop disk because I have Photoshop 7 running here on my Win7 and I had absolutely no issues with the install, it went in cleanly with no compatibility issues whatsoever

Loose rivets
20th Jun 2009, 08:33
That's good news. the original disk is with my stuff in the UK. This is a carry copy which I've just installed on my laptop - vista. No problems.

The only thing I can think of is that 7 is better at picking out copies. One will try again in the morning. I think this might be a dealer copy - like my W-Perfect. I have a feeling though that they wouldn't upgrade it when the company closed, so I'm not sure.

hellsbrink
20th Jun 2009, 14:54
Mine is a copy, no issues.

I don't know what to say, in all honesty. The only suggestion I have is that it's maybe something to do with the drivers for your CD/DVD drive or the way Win7 interacts with said drive. Of course, there could be something like a ruddy great fingerprint on the disk which stops the data being read at the crucial moment.

Of course, you could somehow get another copy of photoshop (not illegal as you are using a legit serial number) and try to install that. Another option is to copy all onto a USB stick and install from there. I'm still saying it's the disk, though as it was a perfect install here.

Loose rivets
23rd Jun 2009, 05:51
It's funny, but when I was putting WPerfect on Vista, it worked on one laptop and not the other. Same builds etc..

Something deep in the bowels, that's what it is.:uhoh:

I'll have another bash when I get home. Oh, and look at the browser thanks.:ok: