PDA

View Full Version : Tampa or Orlando

wowzz
19th Jun 2009, 12:58
Mrs Wowzz and I are planning a trip to Florida next winter. The question is, do we fly to Tampa or Orlando ? [I know only BA fly direct to Tampa]
We are not worried about proximity to the theme parks - we just want to get through immigration as quickly aspossible.
Anyone got any suggestions?

brockenspectre
19th Jun 2009, 14:00
I have visited American friends in Florida for the past umpteen years - have tried both Orlando and Tampa (even though friends live SE of Tampa, fares were often cheaper to Orlando) and have the following observations ... I am sure others with greater knowledge will chip in!!

1. Tampa - advantages, direct BA flights, Immigration/Customs are pleasant, amply staffed and queues are usually just from the BA flight (they seem to time arrivals quite sensibly, so not all non-US flights arrive at the international terminal at the same time!! I have only flown with BA for the past 10 years.

2. Orlando MCO - a busier airport than TPA but again the Virgin flight seemed to arrive into a unique slot, so I can't recall any particular delays either with Imm or Customs. As it services scheduled flights there seemed a professional atmosphere.

3. Orland Sanford - horribly busy with many charter flights arriving, it seemed, all at the same time. Massive queues with frustrated pax and staff just not a pleasant experience. I only did this once and resolved never again.

Now I have parkinson's and am a v slow walker (refusing wheelchair assistance for the mo!) TPA is definitely my choice!!

Hope this helps and I look forward to reading other peoples more recent experiences of Orlando :ok:

North Stand Tier3
24th Jun 2009, 08:19
Have been Florida a few times & have friends who are expats there. When I said next time I may route through TPA they looked at me like I was mad. I'd say avoid Sanford, have heard little in the way of compliments about flying through there, be it facilities,location,access. MCO is a short hop into Orlando, just remember to bring plenty of quarters for the Toll Roads. Immigration whether arriving on a domestic connection or direct from UK wasn't a problem - on one occasion they even allowed wifey to re-do her waiver form again while they 'processed' me & junior. You'll probably find more value & choice with a direct UK-MCO flight rather than to TPA but if you route through a US hub then it really is swings & roundabouts. TPA is about an hour's drive from Orlando (Downtown even more) & that's with flowing traffic which may also be a point worth considering. Friends advise getting out of TPA after 4 is a 'mare

Suppose Immigration quality dpends on the day..everyone has bad days. Could be worse you could be flying into New York

Right, I'll get me coat........

cjhants
24th Jun 2009, 10:54
went through tampa for the first time in feb, and all very quick and easy, although we had to get a bus to the Alamo depot. once there, no queue and on our way to the I-275 very quickly.

agree with comments on sanford, tried it once, never again.

went through MCO in half an hour a month ago, quickest ever, but then an hours wait to get the car from Budget! so the speed through immigration is not the only factor in getting underway quickly.

have a great trip

Tamazi
23rd Dec 2009, 16:31
Family live and work in Tampa. I am there now. BA offer an excellent service, specially if you can afford an upgrade. I have used it many times but in the early days did try Orlando. It is a no brainer and would not do so again unless all Tampa flights were booked out. Tampa airport by American standards rates very well. I can be indoors in 15 minutes from baggage collection.

Big Bad D
13th Jan 2010, 12:13
Another vote for Tampa. By far the quickest, easiest and friendliest process of any US city that I have visited. In past experiences it has never taken more than 30 minutes from disembarking the aircraft to getting out of the airport. There aren't many other international flights, particularly not arriving at the same time as the BA flight.

fincastle84
13th Jan 2010, 12:21
Tampa is brilliant. Friendly & incredibly quick. On BA ex LGW we are normally driving away within 30 minutes of landing. Also the highway system around TPA has been radically updated so exit & access are both painless.

Another big plus is the fact that your flight won't be full of screaming misbehaved children!

wowzz
14th Jan 2010, 08:50
We decided on the Tampa route after the initial feedback, and are flying out on Feb 1st [weather permitting]. The latest replies make me almost look forward to the US immigration process !!
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.