PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express

Dan Gerous
18th Jun 2009, 13:58
Can anybody help, I'm going mental with this. I logged into my account and have 197 messages to download. I am on dial up, and some prick at my local camera club has sent a powerpoint presentation at 4.4Mb. It has taken 55 minutes for this to download. That is message 127. Message 129, some other prick has decided that because we don't all have powerpoint, he has converted it to some other format, that takes the best part of 30 minutes to download. Message 131, I can only assume someone else has replied to it by using the reply button and it is all going to download again, but my computer has cut the connection. If I try to log on again the box for me to enter my password comes up, but when I enter it, it won't accept it. If and when I do get back in it will start to download all the emails from No1, and it will just time out again. Can I log in and circumvent any messages that are in there? Any tips on the password problem, it must be good as I can log in automatically. Is it possible to get into my outlook express account from a seperate computer, and how do I do it?

onetrack
18th Jun 2009, 14:37
Dan - Download a copy of MailWasher and install it on your computer.
You can get a free version with a few banner ads - or you can get a paid version (MailWasher Pro - US$39.95) with no ads, and tech backup.

Once installed on your computer, it takes control and priority over Outlook Express. You set it to open on startup, but minimised to your toolbar. It downloads all your mail to the MailWasher preview window, so you can view it.
You can see, on the MailWasher preview window, what is being sent to you - the size - the status - the address origin - the subject - date & time sent - and best of all - you can BLACKLIST senders - and you can BOUNCE mail back to spammers and scammers - so it appears your email addy is invalid.

You can mark mail senders status, as "good", "friend", "spam" or "blacklist". You can selectively delete emails that you don't want to download (even if they are from friends) - and you then click on "process mail" - whereby it then downloads selected or friendly emails to Outlook Express. MailWasher takes control of OE and opens it when you click on "process mail".

The system is foolproof - easy to use - acts as a filter to EVERY single piece of mail you receive - and allows you to preview and select, what is coming in - instead of having OE download every piece of crap flying around in cyberspace, and then leaving you to try and sort out the mess, and deal with viruses and huge files you needed, like a hole in the head.

I've used MailWasher for over 5 years, and it's a Godsend. I have NEVER downloaded a single item of spam or a mail-sent virus in that 5 years.
I have to begrudgingly admit, this brilliant little easy-to-use program was designed by a Kiwi. I don't understand how he left sheep alone for long enough to devise this program - but the mans a bloody genius, and I take my hat off to him.
I probably should send him a card with some good-looking sheep on it, in appreciation.

No, I'm not related to him - nor do I have 500,000 shares in MailWasher - I merely speak as a thankful, long-term user of the program. You can download it right here ...... Mailwasher Free Spam Filter Software: The Reliable Free Spam Blocker | MailWasher - Mailwasher Free (http://www.mailwasher.net)

BRL
18th Jun 2009, 15:19
I'll second Mailwasher. It is brilliant :)

daved123
18th Jun 2009, 19:19
No experience of mailWasher, etc but have you tried going to your ISP homepage and looking at the contents of your mail-box. May not be universal but I can go to Orange.fr welcome page and look in my mailbox and preview the mails contained and delete them as appropriate without opening OE and having to download them.
This has been helpful in the past with deleting mails that have caused downloading->dropping out->downloading problems in OE.
HTH
Dave.d

Edit
I found this problem when I was on dial-up, if I remember correctly, when opening OE it attempts to download all mails into your Inbox so you can then open which one you wish.
If any download fails it tries again to download with the result you are finding, going to your ISP homepage and reviewing the mails means you can review/delete whichever you wish before downloading when you open OE.

Bushfiva
18th Jun 2009, 23:37
Disable preview, then change the download settings from "download all" to "download headers". You'll get all the subject information but the mail body and attachments will stay on the mail server until you explicitly request them. You can then read/delete/ignore/mark as read anything you want.

As Daved123 says, if your ISP also offers webmail, that's another alternative.

It's a long time since I used Outlook Express so I can't give you exact button pushes.

Avtrician
19th Jun 2009, 02:00
If you have a webmail option for your account, log in to your mail with that. You then can see the contents of your inbox without opening anything. Select the emails that you dont want, and delete them. This will remove all junk from the server with out downloading them. Now you will be able to slowly receive all the mail that is left.. Mailwasher is another option, but you have to download it first.:ok:

BOAC
19th Jun 2009, 08:31
I don't think OE has that option, BF, and I thoroughly endorse Mailwasher, having used it now for many years - and paid up!). For a normal Pop3 service I think it is download all or nothing in OE. IMAP is different and you have the 'header' option.

Dan Gerous
25th Jun 2009, 21:25
Sorry for the late reply chaps. Tried the Mail Wash, but just got confused, but it lead me in the right direction. As I'm on Orange and you can see your mail via the ISP route, I did that and it is sorted.

Thanks for the help.:ok:
Danny