PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with flight helmets

LHSboy
18th Jun 2009, 12:19
Has anyone recently travelled interstate/overseas with their helmets? If so, can you carry on as cabin luggage or do you have to check it in. Appreciate your thoughts on the matter.:ok:

integrity
18th Jun 2009, 12:26
I always take mine as carry on. Never never check it with your bags! I have only been questioned once, but a quick show of the ASIC and a business card and all was good. Enjoy.

Capt SFB
18th Jun 2009, 12:29
G'day LHSboy,

Yep, my helmet has travelled far and wide, with me hanging onto it all the time. Hand carry is what I do, it fits in most overhead bins in its case (Gallet). I've had to open it a couple of times at security as I carry my GPS, torch, etc inside it, but no dramas there either:ok:.

Cheers,
Capt SFB

LHSboy
18th Jun 2009, 12:40
Thanks for the replies so far. I wasn't too sure what the rules & regs are these days regarding if helmets are considered a prohibited item/ weapon!!!(Good for headbutting). I'm sure the other passengers would be somewhat startled if you put it on for take-off on a commercial flight. Cheers

Heliringer
18th Jun 2009, 12:40
Hand luggage, never had any problems with security.

skidbiter2
18th Jun 2009, 13:55
I have just done the carry on thing today with my helmet, sitting waiting on a connecting flight as I speak/type, just don't do as I did this early am, and forget to take out any tools you may have stashed in your helmet bag as I did may weeks ago, and forgot about them..... until security decided to add them to their tool box.
Not happy, but my fault :*

But the helmet is no problem to take on ....... so far!

birrddog
18th Jun 2009, 16:18
I've had to open it a couple of times at security as I carry my GPS, torch, etc inside it, but no dramas there either:ok:.

When passing through your friendly TSA checkpoint in the US, I would inform them that you have a "Flash light" and not a torch.

As I discovered, "torches" have a different meaning to them.

Granny
18th Jun 2009, 20:14
I had mine taken off me by Jetstar check in lady in Brisbane.It had to be checked in as baggage. She said it could be used as a weapon! , I then asked her about the bottle of duty free scotch another passenger was carrying-couldn't that be a weapon too?, No she said that was fine!
My fault for flying Jetstar.

John Eacott
18th Jun 2009, 22:01
Granny,

You must have smiled at her: enough to put anyone off ;)

I always take my helmet as carry-on baggage, and have never had a problem. I took my motorbike helmet to UK and back last month as carry-on, again it was not an issue: but the last thing that I'd trust to the baggage handlers would be $A3k's worth of Alpha :hmm:

I heard a story many years ago about a local pilot who was challenged by the hostie when boarding to go to the Gold Coast (from Melbourne) carrying his helmet. When he responded by offering to put the bone dome on for the trip, she saw the light and backed off. Or so I was told :p

Verbier Vodka
19th Jun 2009, 03:31
Damn shame Granny. Was the checkin woman a jingelly? I can't believe that seeing as you are at the top of the heap, you have to fly LCC. Just remind me....you did leave the "Kumar" regime awhile ago, didn't you???

Jim Dean
19th Jun 2009, 09:13
I've still got a couple of transit helmet boxes that the Brit military used to use. Specifically designed for helmets with a heavily padded foam interior, carrying handle, strengthened external corners, it's perfect. I just add a length of cord tied around to secure the lid in case the lockable catches were to pop open. One less thing to carry on, which with the rediculous security things going on can only be a good thing. Yes, luggage goes missing, but no airline has managed to lose anything of mine....yet. Oh bugger why did I say that!!!! Where's that piece of wood?

maeroda
19th Jun 2009, 11:00
Hello.
I carry my gentex all over the places and allways as hand baggage.
Sometimes security people ask me to open the helmet bag and nothing else matters.

Ciao

maeroda

Granny
19th Jun 2009, 21:15
Verbier Vodka
I did leave the "Kumar" region quite sometime ago! however she wasn't one of those anyhow, although she acted like one. It did get a reaction when I told her she worked for a Dogsh*t airline.
:)