PDA

View Full Version : R44 transition course

HUSKYdriver69
18th Jun 2009, 11:21
Hello,

I am looking for place in Europe that I can do R44 conversion.
I have FAA PPL and I trained on R22.

thanks!

H.

Whirlygig
18th Jun 2009, 11:50
Would this still be FAA training? i.e. differences training since there is no type rating?

Or do you mean JAA conversion from FAA PPL?

Cheers

Whirls

HUSKYdriver69
18th Jun 2009, 12:46
i need it to be FAA training.

birrddog
18th Jun 2009, 23:25
You need to find an FAA Instructor and a N Reg machine, or a FAA & JAA Instructor in a JAA reg. machine, do 5 hours dual (as you already have your R22 experience if you got your ppl in it), performing the requisite procedures in SFAR 73 to Part 61 of the Federal Aviation Regulations.

The abnormal and emergency procedures that need to be covered are

(i) Enhanced training in autorotation procedures,
(ii) Engine rotor RPM control without the use of the governor,
(iii) Low rotor RPM recognition and recovery, and
(iv) Effects of low G maneuvers and proper recovery procedures

Of course, this will only allow you to fly N-Reg R44's unless you have another license with appropriate type ratings /endorsements.

An interesting tidbit, is that SFAR 73 expires June 30, 2009. I am not aware of it having been renewed. If it does not get renewed then all you need to do is wait until July, get someone to sign you out and Bob's your uncle, though for your own safety and that of those with or around you I would suggest getting checked on the above procedures regardless.

The above is covered on pages 33-35 in my 2009 FAR/AIM.

When in doubt contact the FAA, they are pretty helpful (have been to me anyway) - They might even have representation at the London Embassy.

Runway101
19th Jun 2009, 06:36
An interesting tidbit, is that SFAR 73 expires June 30, 2009.

Trust me when I tell you there were other people waiting for the same thing to happen at previous "expiry dates", including the people at RHC. Didn't happen of course, and it probably ain't gonna happen any time soon.

In case you can't find anybody for the endorsements in Europe, you could head to the factory safety course and get the SFAR73 training in Torrance. There are a couple of flight schools on the field. Might even be cheaper than doing it in Europe, flights to LA and hotels are not that expensive compared to European standards.

There is a N registered R44 Raven 2 where I fly from in East Switzerland, but I don't know any FAA instructors around here. I was always under the impression they couldn't give instructions (officially) in Europe unless they also have JAA instructor ticket.

VeeAny
19th Jun 2009, 07:51
Gents

Slightly off topic but I think you'll find SFAR 73 was made non expiring back in May.

The SFAR database is broken at the moment (Friday 19 June 09 at 0800 GMT)

This might help http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-12532.pdf

Gary

birrddog
19th Jun 2009, 16:01
Thanks VeeAny.

I did a google search before I posted for "SFAR 73 Expiration" and the few results on the FAA website did not bring that up.

IMNSHO I think it makes sense to keep it in place.