PDA

View Full Version : One for Sasless, chook to the rescue

topendtorque
18th Jun 2009, 10:19
The Australian, 15th June 2009 (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25636826-5006790,00.html)

Craig O'Callaghan's Simpson Desert rescue

June 15, 2009

Article from: Northern Territory News

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6672541,00.jpg

A MAN motorbiking through a Northern Territory desert who crashed in the middle of nowhere has miraculously been rescued - by a passing Chinook helicopter.

Craig O'Callaghan, 46, suffered spinal injuries and was able to move only his fingers after coming off his motorcycle during a trek across the Simpson Desert, the Northern Territory News reports.

He had been travelling with a group of friends along the French Line - a rough track that skirts along the southern border of the Territory.

Mr O'Callaghan, of Yarrawonga in Victoria, came off at Poeppels Corner - where the dry and dusty borders of the Territory, Queensland and South Australia meet.

The group activated an EPIRB.

The desperate signal was picked up about 1500km away, in Canberra, by Australian Search and Rescue.

They first alerted South Australian police.

But their closest station is on the far side of the desert at Oodnadatta, several hundred kilometres away, so they were unable to assist due to the remote location.

Birdsville Police Station in far southwest Queensland was their next port of call and officer-in-charge Senior Constable Neale McShane sprang into action.

By an incredible stroke of luck, an army Chinook was in town refuelling on the way from Normanton to Longreach.

Sen-Constable McShane spoke to their commander who then got the green light from his superiors to rescue the injured biker.

"I knew we needed a helicopter. It would have taken 12 to 14 hours to drive there, and when you're talking spinal injuries that's a very long drive," he said.

"I don't know what the bloke thought when this huge Chinook flew in."

Chinook
18th Jun 2009, 10:31
What are the odds?

Well done C Regiment!!

bladebanger
18th Jun 2009, 11:22
They were refueling at Birdsville, on there way from Normanton to Longreach?

If the army is flying these routes god help us all.

Banger

Heliringer
18th Jun 2009, 11:40
They will be finding red dirt in that Chinook for the next year, I would love to have seen the landing and the red dirt that was kicked up.

Great story and well done the Chinook crew.

SASless
18th Jun 2009, 12:08
Is this not what helicopter folk are all about?

Being able and willing to help others in time of peril.....makes helicopter flying a bit different than flying airplanes.

I bet they will be calling the victim "Red" from now on after that "Dust Off"!:E

chuks
18th Jun 2009, 13:59
I too have done the odd air ambulance flight with an airplane but a helicopter does have that beat for getting right to the scene of the accident, yes.

SASless
18th Jun 2009, 14:24
Chuks,

It would appear the reports of your demise were premature!