PDA

View Full Version : Too Late or Too Much for Too Little in Return? or Should I Go For It?

sapper6fd
17th Jun 2009, 21:42
Good Afternoon all!

So here’s the scoop. I’m a 28 year old guy who has background in Military Engineering (ex Canadian Army). I’m currently working as a consultant (not related to the Military or Aviation) earning just over $60,000 a year. I just received my Canadian Ultralight Pilot permit which is something I’ve wanted to do since I was still in diapers and am now thinking to taking the plunge into the worth of a Commercial license. Before I make such a large financial investment I want to get a few answers to my questions from you guys – Pilots. (I’d ask Flight Schools but I believe their answers are biased in order to entice me to give them my hard earned cash!!!).

Before I go into the questions, I want to say I am NOT in any way going into this for the money. I’m in it for the love of flying. I do however want to resume my current life style within 5 – 10 years of finishing off a CPL. I’m willing to make big sacrifices (like giving up my $60 + K a year job to make $21,000 a year to start in a new industry). My other half is
completely supportive, to the point where she has even suggested I pour all of my current earnings into getting my CPL, and we live off of her high school teacher’s wages (we currently own our own home and have no debt so this wouldn’t be so bad).

First off, am I too old to get into the industry and be able to make a decent living within 5 – 10 years of obtaining a CPL? Is it realistic to think I can earn a living of $60,000 per year within 5 – 10 years? Am I bound for an industry which is declining, unsustainable and facing a flood of skilled pilots competing for 10 – 20 jobs each year? As far as I’m concerned (and I’m sure many of you will agree), this is an essential service that will always have a need for pilots.

Secondly, is this a good time to get into the industry? The economy is going to rebound, and once again airlines are going to be recovering, expanding and becoming profitable. Before I drop $XX,XXX into a CPL, I want to know I can get a return on that investment and resume my current life style within time. I have my fall back, but at what cost?
Your input on this is greatly appreciated.

sapper6fd

Adios
18th Jun 2009, 21:11
You are plenty young. Go for it.

As for the remaining questions, they've been answered ad nauseam, so have a browse and read what's already here.