PDA

View Full Version : CFII instructing in B737 sim

Jay_solo
17th Jun 2009, 19:41
Could a freelance CFII who holds a CPL/ME/IR (no ATP)and a B737 type rating teach instrument training (and only instruments) in a B737 simulator?

MarkerInbound
18th Jun 2009, 00:26
Well if you're free lancing you're not on a 142 program. All 61 says is that if it's not under 142, only 20 hours counts. But good luck walking into a sim.

Since you're posting in the NA forum and show a London location you may have to go through our TSA. The training center I work for spent days trying to get an F/E into a sim for recurrent. The TSA wouldn't give their OK because his F/E cert didn't have a type on it like the pilots in the group. For those that don't know, the FAA doesn't give types to F/Es, only class ratings. Turbojet is good for a DC-8, DC-10, A-300, B-747, B-727 or L-1011. You now know more than that TSA person.

To instruct in a sim you don't need any ratings (you're not flying a plane), you just need meet the qualifications for a CFI and you need to be on the Training Center's paper work. Again, not set up for free lance.

Jay_solo
18th Jun 2009, 05:15
Cool, thanks for the insight :ok:

So I assume you need to be connected with the training center under a part-time basis (atleast). The reason I asked is becuase some sim centers, (well one in the UK for sure), offer a sim for Dry rental for individual pilots who may their own instructor they can use.

MarkerInbound
18th Jun 2009, 17:51
If you were connected to the training center it would be a no brainer. There are ways to dry lease a sim, I worked for a smaller cargo company and we dry leased sims from a couple airlines. Just saying as an individual off the street you've got an up hill battle. Got no idea what goes on in the UK.