PDA

View Full Version : Portraits of German pilots's at RAF Cranwell?

motherbird
17th Jun 2009, 15:06
Can anyone tell me if there are still two portraits of German airmen hanging in the gallery at RAF Cranwell.They were presented by Goring (in the1930's I assume)

Who were they and why they were hanging there in August 1944?

Cheers Motherbird

Groundloop
18th Jun 2009, 09:11
why they were hanging there in August 1944?

Something to throw things at?:ok:

Yellow Sun
18th Jun 2009, 10:25
Can anyone tell me if there are still two portraits of German airmen hanging in the gallery at RAF Cranwell.They were presented by Goring (in the1930's I assume)

Who were they and why they were hanging there in August 1944?

Cheers Motherbird

In the 1970s these, amongst other historical artifacts, were on my property book. The provenance you quote is correct but I cannot for the life of me remember who they were! In those day they hung in the college library and that might be the best place to start your enquiries.

As to why they were there in 1944, it is probably because no one knew what to do with them. IIRC they had been presented to the college which was an unusual mix of public and private funding. To give an example, the paintings in the dining room were all donated to the college; mostly by the Old Cranwellians Asociation; and their upkeep was the responsibility of College Hall Mess. So, when they required cleaning the money had to be found from mess funds or donations, the public purse did not bear the cost.

The college had on its walls paintings by David Shepherd, Peter Scott along with Niemann's painting of the Boston Stump. Over the years many significant artists have hung there including Gainsborough and Canaletto, these on loan from their owners' estates. This information was gleaned from the files I held that went back to the 1930s. On a different level there were even some original Bairnsfather drawings and a selection of paintings by official War Artists.

There was a story, that I heard many times, that there was a large storeroom at Cranwell containing a wonderful selection of paintings and other items. It was completely untrue, there was only a dusty boxroom in the west wing containing a few insignificant or unspeakably ugly things that no one wanted. Everything of note or quality was already on the walls.

YS

BEagle
18th Jun 2009, 11:07
...there was only a dusty boxroom in the west wing containing a few insignificant or unspeakably ugly things that no one wanted.

No, that was the WRAF quarters. You were looking in the wrong place!

Hamish 123
18th Jun 2009, 13:02
Portraits of German pilot's what?

Rainboe
18th Jun 2009, 13:10
Them dreaded apostrophe's'ses! Nobody knows how to use them. Particularly market stallholders with their 'Apple's'!

Can we all have a private barnstorming session to sort these things out for the rest of our lives, and stop putting pedants like moi into deep depression? All it takes is an hour or so!
Let's's do it! NOW!
BBC - Skillswise Words - Improving your punctuation and writing using apostrophes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/words/grammar/punctuation/apostrophes/)

Look how nicely (and couteously) a furriner (Dannyalliga) wrote in English here, (http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/378191-ryanair-thoughts.html) and compare with the horrors some of us native Brits come out with. Whatever happened to the 'riting' bit of the 3Rs, because good grammar gets your point read AND taken seriously?

I think I shall go out and gas myself this afternoon.

Hamish 123
18th Jun 2009, 13:28
er . . . Rainboe, you may want to check your spelling in your penultimate paragraph . . . .

Rainboe
18th Jun 2009, 13:57
Very clever- an inadvertent 'slip of the keyboard' when you type looking at the keyboard rather than the screen, hardly counts up there in lights, does it? Not when you compare it to the appalling offerings of people who have (allegedly) been through education provided by me, and paid for by me! Pilots's.....that is no keyboard slip. Has the whole point passed you by?

Hamish 123
18th Jun 2009, 14:21
Look, I started this pedants' thread drift by picking up on the rogue apostrophe, so don't start getting all shirty with me! The fact that you made a spelling mistake detracts somewhat from your argument!

Only trying to be helpful. Some people!

(And another thing - you may want to go back and correct "Let's's do it" at the end of para 2. I'll get me coat . . . )

PPRuNe Pop
18th Jun 2009, 14:32
Then of course, there is/was 'rithmatic.' Never could understood who the hell decided on calling them the arrrrs! :ugh:

wulf190a
18th Jun 2009, 20:56
What EXACTLY do you mean by pedantic?

wulf

reynoldsno1
18th Jun 2009, 22:14
I think that should be ' What, exactly, do you mean by pedantic? '

wulf190a
19th Jun 2009, 16:43
"Nuff said"

teeteringhead
19th Jun 2009, 17:41
private barnstorming session
...brainstorming might be even better rainboe.....:ok:

I say I say I say .... Who was the leader of the Pedants' Revolt?

Which Tyler! Boom boom

D120A
19th Jun 2009, 22:45
Oh, That Tyler.

Val d'Isere
6th Sep 2009, 14:51
Talking of pendants, weren't there some hanging in the gallery at RAF Cranwell?