View Full Version : Cabin crew with nut allergy.

nancy1982
17th Jun 2009, 09:49
Hi everyone,

I know that Etihad and Emirates are not recruiting at the moment but I hope to one day work for one of them.

I am wanting to know about cabin crew who have a nut allergy. I am allergic to nuts, its not really bad as I haven't ever had to use an epipen and I have never gone into shock. I have also not had a reaction for many years.

Does anybody know if I would pass a medical with Etihad or Emirates?

Thanks for your help.

milehiclub
29th Jun 2009, 13:40
If you have a nut allergy, however mild, you still run the risk of having an attack on board. The most important thing is to be truthful to the doctor so that he or she can certify that you are indeed fit for duty. It is no joking matter, as you know.

Even if you can refrain from nuts while on duty, it is difficult to ensure that the airborne particles do not carry any specks of nut powder. This is assuming that your allergy to nuts include those that is not directly ingested.

In my airline, we have 2 classification A and B for the mild and severe cases. Though for cabin crew members, we've not had any yet.

Whatever it is, listen to the good doctor.

SavinMe
29th Jun 2009, 19:56
Not sure what the policy is for EK and EY about nut allergy. However like what milehiclub said above, airlines take nut allergies pretty seriously. As I know from my airline, if a passenger declared having nut allergy beforehand, that one particular flight he's on will cater ALL food served nut free for ALL passengers and ALL crews.

milehiclub
30th Jun 2009, 02:56
that's right. For serious cases, an announcement would be made on ground after passenger have boarded, to remind them not to open and consume any packet nuts. Can you imagine if all catered food are nut-free but just one out of the hundreds of passengers were to open a pack of nuts?

pinkus
2nd Jul 2009, 21:05
How serious is your allergy? Is it if you smell it or do you have to eat nuts

If its the latter I really can't see it being a problem as long as you are careful.

I used to work for EY and I don't recall them even asking about it in medical.

elisa4
4th Jul 2009, 16:21
yes, depends on the seriousness of the allergy.

remember that in the Gulf and surroundings peanut oil is often used in cooking...