PDA

View Full Version : swimmer's ear.how does it affect ?

mc1805
17th Jun 2009, 04:45
hello everyone.

I was swimming with my friends and after an hour session, we got out of the pool.I then realised that, while swimming water went into my ears.now, i want to know what effect does it have when we are flying? some hearing problems? or some things else? Are there any regulations, that a pilot should not fly within xx hours after swimming(like for scuba diving.)

thanks in advance..
cheers

gingernut
17th Jun 2009, 07:14
MC- swimming in a pool for an hour, is not swimmers ear.

Swimmers ear is a condition that can be caused by swimming in a pool for an hour, but not necessarily so.

It's a condition which affects the skin lining the outer ear, (otitis externa) so shouldn't be a problem from a pressure equalisation point of view.

Not to be confused with surfers ear, or otitis media.

Scuba diving is a completely seperate issue.

paddingtonbear319
18th Jun 2009, 14:02
wear ear plugs, I do a lot of swimming and this stopped my swimmers ear and a variety of ear infections I kindly received

x

gingernut
18th Jun 2009, 19:35
Good advice, but remember there's a whole load of difference (and implications for pilots) between an outer ear infection (otitis externa) and a middle ear infection (otitis media).

Otitis externa is essentialy a disease of the skin (that lines the ear canal).

There are probably a few golden rules one can follow to avoid the situation.

a) if prone to the condition, avoid irritants-plug the ears prior to showering, swimming etc.

b) round up everything in the house that can exascerbate the scratch/itch cycle (hair grips, car keys, cotton buds) and incinerate them.

c) if your ear itches, discharges, smells or tastes bad to your partner (!) go and see a quack-relief is usually effective and immediate. If it isn't , second line treatments always work well.

d) never ever stick anything in your ear that's smaller than your elbow:}

Safe flyin', goin' surfin' soon, ginge:)