PDA

View Full Version : ME IR expired - renewal more thorough skills test ?

redout
16th Jun 2009, 16:45
Hello,

Is there any differences in the flight with the examiner for renewing your ME IR if you were to do it say a month after it expired as opposed to before it expired ? I am aware there is a more thorough exam if its expired over a long period of time but what about a month or so ?

Cheers

helimutt
16th Jun 2009, 16:49
Same exam. Same limits. Why should it be different? Surely you're being tested on your ability to carry out the flight to the required standard expected of your qualifications? I may be wrong tho, but I somehow doubt it.

redout
16th Jun 2009, 16:52
Possibly different one would have thought as one is before it expires and one is not.

MIKECR
16th Jun 2009, 20:51
Essentially no difference. Having done both a 'revalidation' as well as a 'renewal', I found they were both very similar. Its really up to the examiner. Both in fact were conducted along similar lines to the initial skills test. The examiner will expect you to do the usual stuff - departure, airways, precison approach, non precision stuff, go around, asymmetric, hold entry, partial panel, unusual attitude recovery, etc etc. If you havent done any IR flying in a while then you will undoubtedly need some refresher training or you will be a little rusty. Remember as well that you can do alternate years in the sim, as long as you keep the IR current within date. As soon as it expires you have no option but to renew in the aircraft. That can obviously make a big difference cost wise.

redbar1
16th Jun 2009, 21:48
Absolutely the same test/check limits. The difference in test standards reported by some most probably stems from the fact that at a renewal you might be a bit "rustier" through lack of currency than if doing a revalidation and being reasonably current (Generally speaking, based on experience)

Cheers,
Redbar1

Mikehotel152
17th Jun 2009, 08:49
On a slightly different tack, and not wishing to creep the thread too much, does anyone have a quickfire answer to this scenario:-

737NG Type Rating due to commence November.
ME/IR expires mid-December.

What ought to be done about revalidation? I've heard that, provided the type rating is started before the revalidation date, the act of completing the type rating in effect negates the need to revalidate the ME/IR. :confused:

Answers much appreciated, failing which I will start trawling previous threads. :(

MIKECR
17th Jun 2009, 11:19
That one has been asked on several occasions and to be honest there was never really a clear answer. The general consensus was that it had to be current to 'commence' the course for the issue of the persons FIRST type rating. That was certianly my view point as well. Lasors however states - the "applicant" for the first type rating for a MPA shall hold both a valid and current Instrument rating.

To me that reads as though the IR must still be current on the completion of the course and on application for the rating.

Perhaps someone can clarify otherwise??