PDA

View Full Version : BAW955L, Mayday due Lightning?

HeathrowAirport
15th Jun 2009, 23:46
I just noticed on OpenATC BAW955L A319 G-EUPK 7700, this was at around the same time In London there was a storm brewing.

Was this Mayday a result of Lightning strike?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Jun 2009, 07:01
Lightning strikes don't always cause problems enough for a Mayday; in fact, rarely so. 7700 could have been because of a sick passenger, or other reasons.

angels
16th Jun 2009, 07:47
A few years back I was on a plane hit by lightning as we approached LHR. The pilot was well calm about it and explained what had happened and how planes coped with it.

I still needed a change of underwear when we got to the terminal though.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Jun 2009, 09:34
It happens more often than many members of the public are aware. In a holding situation at Heathrow on day in stormy weather a pilot said "we've had a lightning strike". Others piped up "snap"... and "us too".

HeathrowAirport
16th Jun 2009, 11:20
Ah, not suprised if it was bumpy and at that time very busy having to hold were the CB was going in the LAM direction :(

FlyUK
16th Jun 2009, 11:33
Diversion due fuel. Mayday due to possible landing with less than reserve. Excess of 40 mins holding to the south of LHR due line of CB's.

angels
16th Jun 2009, 12:25
Thanks FlyUK.

As a non-pilot, why the Mayday rather than a Pan?

HeathrowAirport
16th Jun 2009, 13:33
Thanks FlyUK,

Angels - Becuase It was likely at a Critical level that was deemed an emergency - meaning he was on fumes.

Otto Throttle
16th Jun 2009, 14:07
It's not necessarily so dramatic. In some airlines (mine included) it is a mandatory company policy to declare a Mayday if at any time it is suspected that a landing may be made with less than final reserve fuel.

Always better to be safe than sorry, even if sorry just happens to be a tea-and-no-biscuits chat with the boss.