PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft marshalling

kmaria
15th Jun 2009, 17:44
Hi,

Is anyone know where can i study for an Aircraft Marshaller? What are the requirements for that position? Is it possible to buy a student book anywhere in that theme?

kmaria

Mad-Ramper-Al
16th Jun 2009, 15:35
Hi,
There isn't really any way of studying it as such. You can practice it using vehicles, but thats about it.
I did a 4 day course myself in Aircraft and Helicopter Marshalling, from Aviation Resources Training in Stansted.
You can look up the CAA website for CAP637, which is the Visual Aids Handbook, this will give you all the current signals and movements for the UK.
You'll find that Marshalling instructions are different outside the U.K..

Hope that helps,
MRA.

groundhand
17th Jun 2009, 06:47
ICAO and IATA standards apply - they are now aligned and have the same signals. There is no difference (or should be no difference) at any commercial airport. I do not know where Mad Ramper got his info from but in my experience he is wrong.

Look at the IATA AHM 9.2 for all the signals.

GH

Jamro
17th Jun 2009, 13:58
CAP637

CAP 637: Visual Aids Handbook | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=136)

Ops Guy
17th Jun 2009, 19:06
Most UK airports will train in house :ok:.

kmaria
20th Jun 2009, 07:59
Thanks for the informations for everyone!! :)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Jun 2009, 07:06
kmaria... I think you'll find that aircraft marshalling is carried out by ground operations personnel, among the myriad of other tasks they have on an airfield. It's something I wanted to do as a kid of about 6 and my dad even managed to get hold of two fluorescent "bats" for me to direct aircraft!! Sadly, I never ever did it for real.

Rusty443
16th Jul 2009, 00:30
BAA seems to develop personnel under airfield operations. You need to study birds, (feathered) how to scare them away, if not then learn to shoot a shot gun and take them out.:cool:

You will need to follow the CAA CAP 462 and Airside Operations Association safety book.:8

Other Modules will possibly cover speeding across airfields, looking important, collecting FOD, including lumps of mud and concrete.

You will be checking taxiway & runway lighting, this will include computer skills as you will be in charge of allocating stands for aircraft and when everyone on the airfield has organised their crews you can change them all around as this is what happens!!:ugh:

The best part is telling people about their job, and issuing yellow cautions for speeding!:=

Marshalling if you want to learn, start at a small airfield with light aircraft, as you will find out the airfix model as it looks on the runway, grows to a big castle when it reaches the stand!!
Good luck.:ok: