PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Aviation Academy (Bahrain)

Mike.Park
15th Jun 2009, 08:58
Talal Al Zain the CEO of Mumtalakat says Gulf Aviation Academy (GAA) will be operational by the end of 2009 and that you'll be able to learn to fly towards your ATPL in Bahrain on an abintio programme without having to leave the country.

Place your bets! :}

Mumtalakat signs BD6m Cadet Pilot Training Program agreement with Tamkeen and Bahrain development Bank

Bahrainis aged from 18-30 years old will now have the opportunity to acquire the highest standard of pilot license thanks to a new agreement announced today to create a Cadet Pilot Training Program between Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company (Mumtalakat), Bahrain Development Bank (BDB) and Tamkeen (Labour Fund).

Under the terms of agreement, pre-selected Bahraini graduates will be able to undertake internationally certified commercial pilot training programs by attending Mumtalakat's soon to be launched pilot and crew training subsidiary, Gulf Aviation Academy. BDB will offer loans to cadets and Tamkeen will pay the interest of the loans. With a total budget of more than BD6m from BDB and Tamkeen, the program aims to train 100 pilots starting July to qualify for their Airline Transport Pilot's License (ATPL).

Talal Al Zain, CEO of Mumtalakat, said:"This is an excellent initiative for Bahrainis and for the nation's economy. By working together, Mumtalakat, BDB and Tamkeen can offer Bahraini graduates the opportunity to train for their commercial pilot's license in Bahrain rather than training abroad. It also offers a great opportunity for our new subsidiary, Gulf Aviation Academy, which will offer pilot and crew training to Bahrainis and airline personnel from across the region. Commercial piloting is a high value job and will generate significant social and economic benefits for Bahrain's economy and help to meet the growing demand for pilots regionally. This is the first step in a long-term government strategy to help develop Bahraini skills and talent for the aviation industry. We're delighted to be playing our part in supporting the nation's 2030 Vision."
Gulf Aviation Academy (GAA) (under formation), will be the first aviation academy to be based in Bahrain and will manage the program, which is scheduled to commence towards the end of 2009. The program will be Ab-initio ('from the beginning') to qualify Bahraini graduates with no previous flying experience and have demonstrated the unique qualities needed to be a commercial pilot and able to handle the intensity of the 16-19 month course.

'This agreement will enhance efforts towards training personnel for the aviation industry,' said Bahrain Development Bank (BDB) CEO Mr. Nedhal Al Aujan. 'It will also support and enhance the Pilot Training Financing Program launched by the BDB late 2007.'

Al Aujan added, 'The new programme offers financial support to Bahraini graduates who wish to join the Gulf Aviation Academy which is currently under development by Mumtalakat. Tamkeen will be responsible of paying the interest of the financing which reflects the integrated role of the three parties towards implementing this program.'

'The BDB is working to achieve closer integration between financing and training to develop the national human resource in line with the Bahrain Economic vision for 2030, by creating a network of supporting companies with the same goal, illustrated today's announcement. The programme will be particularly important in meeting the increasing demand of the commercial aviation sector and the demand for the pilot training financing program launched by the bank in 2007, which has now funded 100 cadets, having disbursed BD3.3m of funding,' he stated.

Abdulelah Al Qassimi, Chief Executive of Tamkeen, commented, 'At Tamkeen our focus is very much on developing the skills of Bahrainis and making them the employees of choice in the private sector. That is why we have till date invested more than BD43m in training them for a huge range of careers from nurses and aeronautical engineers to accountants, IT professionals and call-centre staff. To date more than 19,000 young Bahrainis are being targeted to benefit from Tamkeen's initiatives of which 6000 are in our current programmes.'

Al Qassimi added, 'Therefore we are proud to be part of this agreement with Mumtalakat and BDB, which is presenting this opportunity for Bahrainis to enter the field of aviation. We continually strive to increase awareness of our extensive project work with graduates and training, career progression and employment programmes that we run for young Bahrainis.'

gilderoy lockhart
15th Jun 2009, 16:33
Mike

I would imagine not good news for the Jordanian Flight Schools, who currently train the BDB sponsored cadets!

Mike.Park
15th Jun 2009, 16:52
I found more details. I think the setup has something to do with Oxford Aviation as is clearly visible from the attached application form.

Introduction [word document (http://www.bmhc.bh/abb/Ab-Initio_Introduction-Requirements.doc)]

Application form [pdf (http://www.bmhc.bh/abb/Ab-Application-Form-09.pdf)]

Questions I'd like answered are:

1. Will 100% of the training be conducted in Bahrain?
2. What airport do they plan on using as their training base?
3. What airports will they be using for cross-country flights?
4. What aircraft are they going to be flying?

5. Will changes be made to Bahrain's airspace? You cant overfly Bahrain.

BlueSky1
17th Jun 2009, 08:42
Hey Mike.Park, Just wondering if the Gulf Aviation Academy has any official website or places for recruitment of staff. Been searching on line and I know they are accepting students, but what about Instructors??? Can't find any info on this.

Mike.Park
17th Jun 2009, 09:31
Not that I'm aware of.

Get in touch with Mumtalakat (http://www.bmhc.bh/contact/contact.asp) as they're heavily involved.

ironbutt57
17th Jun 2009, 13:22
Bit premature Bluesky1 but watch this space...:ok:

Mike.Park
17th Jun 2009, 14:08
Well it appears that www.GulfAviationAcademy.com hasn't been registered yet. There are no MOIC records for a company formation under the name of 'Gulf Aviation Academy' either.

Mike.Park
22nd Jun 2009, 14:11
Gulf Aviation Academy see strong demand from future Bahraini pilots

More than one hundred enthusiastic graduates and other individuals interested in pursuing a career in aviation have already visited the Gulf Aviation Academy in Muharraq to apply for the Ab-Initio program (High Flyer).

Source: AME (http://www.ameinfo.com/201370.html)

Che Guevara
22nd Jun 2009, 15:55
More than one hundred enthusiastic graduates

Graduates of what? :rolleyes:

Mike.Park
22nd Jun 2009, 21:30
Graduates of what

Spotty teenagers fresh out of school maybe? :}

Not sure if an investment of 6 million dinars in exchange for training 100 pilots is value for money.

Radar Contact
23rd Jun 2009, 06:42
Update in figures;

102 Applications in 2 days.

10 Students each batch - starting from September.

100 Pilots total for 09/10

GBB
23rd Jun 2009, 07:03
are they all going to end up with GF?
How all this is going to work, who is going to pay for their taining?

Mike.Park
23rd Jun 2009, 14:54
How all this is going to work

No idea. Lots of unanswered questions.

Radar Contact
23rd Jun 2009, 20:38
Hello,

No - They will not all end up with GF. Some will end up with 2B, some with G9 and some without jobs

BDB will be paying them and after you graduate you start paying them back regardless you were chosen or not.

Mike.Park
24th Jun 2009, 10:55
Just got off the phone with GAA.

There will be no flight training in Bahrain. Apparently that's a long-term objective so the first few batches will be whisked off to "Oxford university academy" in the UK. She probably meant OAA.

Anyhow, if anyone has any questions their telephone number is:

+973 17-357777

AMEERKHALIL
24th Jun 2009, 13:29
What is the role of Mumtalkat in this scheme?!... They are the owner of Gulf Air and I think they should grantee a job for the cadets other wise it is a waste of time.

Will they provide a pocket money?

BDB doesn't care whether you employed or not…. no wonder it is a bank.

It seems nothing was planed properly specially for the first scheme with Clark aviation 2007 where no body got a job yet and some others are wasting their money in Jordan.

My advice to you guys to open your eyes clearly before going to adventure that full of chaos.

Che Guevara
24th Jun 2009, 18:39
What the role of Mumtalkat in this scheme?!... They are the owner of Gulf Air and I think they should grantee a job for the cadets other wise it is a waste of time

Interesting thoughts...

In this business (flying) there are no gurantees, you have to prove your abilities. It is the only game in the world where your licence, or job if you like, is on the line every 6 months. Secondly, your own life and those of your passengers are also on the line if you get it wrong, in other words beyond the percieved glamour, there is a serious amount of responsibility and hard work required that remains throughout your career.

So, as a potential pilot the above should be clearly understood. There are no freebies, its pass or fail. Furthermore, if anyone is considering borrowing 60,000 dinars to pay for their training because of a flashy brochure, I suggest they think very carefully about what they are tieing themselves into and their motivations for wanting the job.

Is it a good job, yes it's a great job.
Is it glamourous, no.
Is it easy, no.
Is it hard work, yes.
What happens if you loose medical peranently, you loose your licence and job permanentally, no matter how much you paid for it.

My advice to you guys to open your eyes clearly before going to adventure that full of chaos.
Probably the best thing you said was to 'open your eyes', in other words be careful, the only gurantee is that you will have to pay back the loan regardless of how successful you are.

Good luck to all.

Mike.Park
1st Jul 2009, 09:17
Gulf Aviation Academy's High Flyer Program Taking Off

01 July 2009

More than 300 applications have now been received by the Gulf Aviation Academy ("GAA") (under formation) for its High Flyer Program, it was announced today. The High Flyer Program offers young Bahrainis the opportunity to train to become commercial pilots. The number of applications by male and female Bahrainis had already exceeded expectations prior to the BD6 million program's deadline of 25 June for the first batch of students.

100 applicants will be selected to undertake the screening process which will be held at GAA's premises in Muharraq during the coming two weeks. Selected applicants will be contacted by GAA for information on screening date and time.

The program will train up to 100 cadet pilots to qualify for their Airline Transport Pilot's License ("ATPL") over 16-19 months. Led by Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company ("Mumtalakat") in partnership with Bahrain Development Bank ("BDB") and Tamkeen (Labor Fund), the High Flyer Program will enhance efforts towards training Bahrainis for the aviation industry to meet the increasing demand of the commercial aviation sector and to also create economic benefits for Bahrain as a whole.

-----

I don't agree with the way screening is going to take place.

AMEERKHALIL
1st Jul 2009, 19:37
Are they going to select only 100 from the 300 applicants to do the assessment ?

If that is the case how the program will train up to 100 cadet pilots on last quarter of 2009?

Mike.Park
1st Jul 2009, 21:23
It sounds ill-thought out to be honest. :bored:

Of the 300 applicants, around 100 of them will be invited to go through the selection process.

The selection process costs BD200 and those invited will have to cough up the cash.

a. Where's the financial sense in limiting 100 'wannabes' to go through the selection process when they're paying for it? Why not allow all 300 applicants to prove themselves and go through the selection process. 300 applicants x BD200 = BD60,000

b. They run the risk of neglecting good talent by dwindling down the numbers BEFORE they get the chance to go through the selection process. Why not narrow down the numbers based on the results of the selection process?

WELCO
1st Jul 2009, 23:25
Hey young hounds!

I guess I have something to share here.

Why not allow all 300 applicants to prove themselves and go through the selection process.

1) They don't want cadets who can only perform well in the rigorous aptitude tests and skill assessment. They want those who combine both the aptitude AND the superior academic history. The priority will be given to the 100 applicants who have the highest Highschool GPA, a plus to those who have completed a respected university degree. I think it carries the essence of perfection when selecting cadets of high caliber for this program.

2) The rest of applicants will be kept in a "hold pool" if you like to call it! In case the initial 100 applicants don't qualify to any subsequent stage, the rest will be contacted with respect to the same priority conditions.

3) One rationale behind limiting the number to only 100 cadets is the overbooking issue in Oxford Aviation Academy. So even those 100 cadets who will successfully pass the assessment/aptitude won't be sent to Oxford all at once. They will be divided into small batches to be sent to OAA over several months.

4) This program is likely to continue sending more cadets in the future. Might be open again in few months!

All in all, I think the process is fair enough since they have expected the overwhelming response from young aficionados! Aviation industry is winning...and other people too!!

Good luck to you all.

Mike.Park
2nd Jul 2009, 09:27
1) They don't want cadets who can only perform well in the rigorous aptitude tests and skill assessment.I disagree.

GAA will never know who can truly perform well as they decided they would not give everyone the opportunity to go through selection (even though the applicant would be paying).

That means you might actually have individuals who'll be able to outperform the so called "academics".

It is ultimately the selection process which will determine whether:

a. You've got what it takes to successfully complete your abinitio training
b. You've got what it takes to successfully gain employment as a first officer.

I hope you'll agree with me that you won't be typing up essays to convey arguments validated by evidence at 35,000 feet.

Flight training is vocational in nature. Your high school GPA will not show your potential for leadership, it will not show how well you can recall, it will not show how spatially aware you are, it will not show your hand/eye co-ordination or team working abilities etc.

The rest of applicants will be kept in a "hold pool" if you like to call it! In case the initial 100 applicants don't qualify to any subsequent stageAgain, this supports my argument that they should all be allowed to go through the selection process instead of having to resort to feeding off a hold pool because the "academics" haven't lived upto their expectations.

One rationale behind limiting the number to only 100 cadets is the overbooking issue in Oxford Aviation Academy.I have no issue with them limiting numbers, but as i said in my previous post, the number crunching should be done after they have gone through selection.

Who's running the show at GAA?

WELCO
2nd Jul 2009, 11:51
Mike.Park

Habibi why you have a sense of anger in you words? I've only mentioned the information that I've got from some officials close to the program! I don't defend the program, but my own estimation is fairly positive towards the whole thing.

It's your right to disagree, although I have different analysis.

1) No shame to select cadets based on satisfactory aptitude combined with proven academic path success. The very demanding training process will always appreciate those who can progress faster than others.

2) According to my source, and hopefully he knows exactly what he's talking about, this is just a start, or you may say it's a beta version but with well-defined risk margins. More cadets might have better opportunities with GAA in the foreseen future.

Boys & Girls...Just keep the dream alive!

WELCO
4th Jul 2009, 17:36
Today was the first day of assessment & aptitude tests. Out of 20 applicants allocated for the day, less than 10 were able to make it through the very tough Oxford's selection. Those who passed will be invited to day-2 assessment which is relatively much easier.

I do feel sorry for the ones who couldn't pass day 1. But on the other side of the cruel life, the news bring hope to more cadets in the hold pool to compensate!

Mike.Park
4th Jul 2009, 20:47
Well I hope they are given a full de-brief after they go through selection considering they're paying a BD200 premium!

Sultan85
4th Jul 2009, 20:51
oxford?:rolleyes:

what a joke!:}

WELCO
4th Jul 2009, 23:08
What joke are you talking about?!! I don't see anything funny in there.

hamani
5th Jul 2009, 14:24
I would like to know more information about how the process is being done. Are they calling 20 by 20 students for each day until all 150 or so applicants are done with? How about the payment, are payments made on the day of the assessment? With regards to the timing, when were these applicants informed regarding the test dates? Any information you would know would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Che Guevara
5th Jul 2009, 15:38
oxford? what a joke :=

Nope, no joke there, one of the best in the business. In fact this is by far the smartest decision made so far.

Mike.Park
5th Jul 2009, 16:27
Apparently a representative from Oxford Aviation flew out to Bahrain to help setup the screening & assessment process that would have ordinarily taken place over in Kidlington.

AMEERKHALIL
5th Jul 2009, 16:57
Any body invited for day 2 ?

Sultan85
5th Jul 2009, 17:22
Welco + Che Guevara ,

The joke I m talking about have nothing to do with you, what I was talking about is do they really need them for day1? And how much it cost? It cost you 200BD non refundable :eek:----- (((that’s a joke in my opinion)))

I hope it's clear now for you.:ok:

Mike.Park
5th Jul 2009, 20:19
It cost you 200BD non refundable http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif----- (((that’s a joke in my opinion)))

Apart from the price being somewhat steep, I have no problem with paying providing I get my money's worth ie, I get a debrief and run down of my performances on the test areas and how i did, and was given advice at the end of it on what I could do to improve my results for next time.

I'm hoping that has been happening. If not, then the BD200 isnt justifiable.

WELCO
5th Jul 2009, 22:24
I need to make a correction that looks significant. The exact number of applicants who have successfully passed day 1 is only 5 out of 22!!! I've seen the very excited 5 young men (sunday morning) in the simulator building while they were about to start day 2 assessment. On the other side, more applicants were getting ready for their big day, day 1!

Apparently a representative from Oxford Aviation flew out to Bahrain to help setup the screening & assessment process that would have ordinarily taken place over in Kidlington.

As a matter of fact, a complete Senior assessment team from Oxford came over fully equiped with special PC,s and joysticks and pedals! It is intended to be a copy/paste of the orginal version of the assessment taking place back in Oxford.

ie, I get a debrief and run down of my performances on the test areas and how i did, and was given advice at the end of it on what I could do to improve my results for next time.

I'm hoping that has been happening. If not, then the BD200 isnt justifiable

Nope, not happening a bit. I agree with you.

Are they calling 20 by 20 students for each day until all 150 or so applicants are done with?

Average number of applicants invited per day is 20. They shall continue calling applicants until 100 qualified cadets are spotted.

are payments made on the day of the assessment?

Yes.

when were these applicants informed regarding the test dates?

Just couple of days before day 1. Those who were there for day 2 have been contacted yesterday at night.

baker91
5th Jul 2009, 23:57
hi everyone
i heard a rumor i dnt know whether it is right or wrong but i need some answers because i heard that the 100 GAA cadets will get a gaurantee job with gulfair after they finish is this even possible ... and what will happen then to the cadets in jordan ?????:}

gilderoy lockhart
6th Jul 2009, 03:21
When do they intend to start training in Bahrain and not sending students to Oxford? At the moment what part does the Gulf Aviation Academy have in this?

Mike.Park
6th Jul 2009, 09:18
The exact number of applicants who have successfully passed day 1 is only 5 out of 22!!!

That would work out to be a failure rate of 77.2% which is pretty high for day 1. I know that the theoretical knowledge needed to pass the maths & physics sections of Oxford's tests does not extend beyond GCSE level (16 years of age in the UK)

I also heard that those who are successful will be be offered a BD50,000 (£82,000) loan which will need to be paid back in installments.

Is that figure correct?! :bored:

WELCO
6th Jul 2009, 12:35
That would work out to be a failure rate of 77.2% which is pretty high for day 1. I know that the theoretical knowledge needed to pass the maths & physics sections of Oxford's tests does not extend beyond GCSE level (16 years of age in the UK)

Day 1 is not only maths and physics. These are supposed to be the easiest parts. Oxford's tests are based on "360 assessment" I can say. Correlating the results of the tests they provide "COMPASS TESTS" to every mental and motor skill needed to make an airline pilot. COMPASS tests can accurately assess these skills that someone might simply have or don't have.

The pass rate for day 1 with GAA is yet very poor vs. UK pass rate which is usually 60-65%.

And yes.. around BHD50,000

Mike.Park
6th Jul 2009, 13:37
And yes.. around BHD50,000

Why so much? The catalog list price for oxford's integrated course is 40k Dinars (66k GBP)

Oh, and by the way Oxford's skills aseesement is only £195 (118BD)

40&80
6th Jul 2009, 21:33
Any more news regarding the termination of Gulf Air Captains over the age of 60?
Interesting the national students having to pay back the £85K for training and possibly also their accommodation?
I do not think the GF national student in the 1970s at Oxford had to do this.

Che Guevara
7th Jul 2009, 13:23
Yes, apparently they won't have their contracts renewed as this is new over 60 rule applies throughout Bahrain (for expats only).
Yes things have changed in GF re. the national students having to pay for their training now. I guess GF's pockets are not that deep now with Abu D gone etc.
I met a few 'candidates' recently on my way through the sim building. What I found most interesting was that not one in that particular group knew anything about airplanes....zip. Surely if you are going to be hit with a bill of the amount quoted, you might have some knowlege about what you were getting into or even what it is all about, other than it is a good job....?

Mike.Park
7th Jul 2009, 14:11
What I found most interesting was that not one in that particular group knew anything about airplanes....zipUnfortunately it seems pretty difficult to come across local chaps who enter the world of aviation to follow a dream, or because they're inspired or passionate about flight.

But then again, what is there to inspire young Bahrainis? General Aviation is non-existent, military aviation is non-existant, there are no social clubs or groups, no Air Cadets... remote control planes are illegal.... you get the picture :bored:

40&80
7th Jul 2009, 17:52
These student may not know Zip about aviation but if they do not like the job or the training I think they will simply walk away.
I agree... this is another GF dream again poorly thought through.
The new law that all the expat bankers, industrial managers and investment boys and pilots buggering off at sixty will IMHO not be cost effective as they will bugger off well before 60 to other Gulf states which will welcome them and their skills and their money with open arms.
This law is also not positive news for the Bahrain property market.

mohd340
8th Jul 2009, 04:37
AL so in Qatar maximum age for expart 60 , Bahrain doing the right thing to support local employments .

Mike.Park
8th Jul 2009, 09:17
pilots buggering off at sixty will IMHO not be cost effectiveI hope GF's pockets are deep enough to pay the lump sum indemnity they owe their retiring expat pilots.

AMEERKHALIL
8th Jul 2009, 18:31
Any new news Welco?.... I think today is the last day of screening for the 100 applicants.

WELCO
9th Jul 2009, 11:59
i heard that the 100 GAA cadets will get a gaurantee job with gulfair after they finish is this even possible

No job guarantee. However, Oxford's training standards are high enough to guarantee a cockpit seat with any major airline!

Why so much? The catalog list price for oxford's integrated course is 40k Dinars (66k GBP)

You may have another deeper look at the prices.

66,000 for the Integrated course alone.
11,000-13,000 for accommodation.
5,000 for regulatory and Exam fees.
Total @ approx. GBP85,000

I do not think the GF national student in the 1970s at Oxford had to do this.

Yeah, not even those of 1998 if I'm not mistaken. But that was full cadet sponsorship program.

I met a few 'candidates' recently on my way through the sim building. What I found most interesting was that not one in that particular group knew anything about airplanes....zip. Surely if you are going to be hit with a bill of the amount quoted, you might have some knowlege about what you were getting into or even what it is all about, other than it is a good job....?

Day 2 assessment is considering the aviation industry knowledge of applicants. If they don't know what's in it for them, they are likely to fail!

But then again, what is there to inspire young Bahrainis? General Aviation is non-existent, military aviation is non-existant, there are no social clubs or groups, no Air Cadets... remote control planes are illegal.... you get the picture http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wbored.gif

The demand for pilots of Nationals is increasing. Not only in Bahrain, but also in the whole region. This is a chance for highly qualified national cadets with the most prestigious aviation academy in the world. Perfect fit I believe!

I think today is the last day of screening for the 100 applicants.

The assessment is still going on. They will continue to invite more applicants for few more days.

Mike.Park
9th Jul 2009, 13:38
No job guarantee. However, Oxford's training standards are high enough to guarantee a cockpit seat with any major airline!a. There is no guarantee of a job anywhere, irregardless of the choice of FTO.

b. As all of the applicants are Bahraini nationals, they wont be able to secure employment anywhere else in the world apart from Bahrain.

Whilst they may be training towards a UK CAA issued licence, they do not have the right to live & work in the European Union and therefor employment with UK/EU airlines is virtually impossible.

Realistically speaking, their only initial employment prospects are with the Bahraini owned airlines such as Gulf Air, and Bahrain Air.

Whilst the bigger airlines in the region such as Emirates, Etihald, Qatar Airways do accept pilots fresh out of flight schools, they all have policies in place which limit applications to their own nationals only (just like the policy Gulf Air has with Bahraini pilots).

WELCO
9th Jul 2009, 13:53
a. There is no guarantee of a job anywhere, irregardless of the choice of FTO.

b. As all of the applicants are Bahraini nationals, they wont be able to secure employment anywhere else in the world apart from Bahrain.

This is very well known I think.. and my words about the job guarantee were just to roughly point out the value of having EASA licence issued from the UK CAA after an integrated training course with OAA!!

While for working in the EU, it's already impossible for those cadets to work there because of other reasons that are very VERY well known too!:=

Whilst the bigger airlines in the region such as Emirates, Etihald, Qatar Airways do accept pilots fresh out of flight school, they have policies in place which limit applications to their own nationals (just like the policy Gulf Air has).

Many things could develop sooner than you think! you don't know how could something like GAA change the rules!!

Che Guevara
9th Jul 2009, 14:24
Many things could develop sooner than you think! you don't know how could something like GAA change the rules!!

Care to elaborate on that?
So what is the current pass rate anyway?

Cheers

WELCO
9th Jul 2009, 19:28
I don't have accurate data about this for the moment. The ambitious plans of GAA might include supplying other airlines in the region with newly licenced pilots. Once the structure of GAA is finalized, many things will be clearer.

For the pass rate, until last Tuesday it has remained very poor with a total of only 7 applicants invited for day 2 assessment.

Cheers mate

gilderoy lockhart
10th Jul 2009, 04:07
I am a bit confused. How does sending cadets to Oxford in the UK constitute the founding of the Gulf Aviation Academy?

Prior to this BDB with Gulf Air approval, were carrying out selection testing to send students to Jordan, now it's UK. Clearly the selection standards are more rigorous and Oxford are a quality outfit issuing EASA licence, rather than Jordanian FAA based CPL, but in concept nothing has changed!

Mike.Park
10th Jul 2009, 08:36
GAA = The middle man. Money to be made. The cadet absorbs all the financial risk.

ironbutt57
10th Jul 2009, 10:48
GAA is where the successful candidates will enroll for their first type rating course..

Mike.Park
10th Jul 2009, 11:11
Since when has GAA been a certified TRTO?! :bored:

ironbutt57
10th Jul 2009, 11:47
That's the plan anyway apparently, not to sure if it only for "airline candidates", or if anybody will be able to just walk in for a type rating

WELCO
10th Jul 2009, 12:19
I am a bit confused. How does sending cadets to Oxford in the UK constitute the founding of the Gulf Aviation Academy?

GAA & OAA are both together in this right from the very early start. Sending cadets to OAA for the whole integrated course is the temporary plan until GAA is on its feet. Looking back at the long history between Mumtalakat (or solely GF in the past) and OAA, this doesn't look very odd to me.

but in concept nothing has changed!

Well yeah, there was nothing wrong with the concept from the beginning. It has only become more organized and regulated. As I said before, I believe it carreis the essence of perfection. In Jordan, it was a big mess, and I think GAA plus OAA are making a fantastic recovery for the sake of GF!

gilderoy lockhart
10th Jul 2009, 13:46
So at the moment GAA is effectively the former training department from Gulf Air offering a type rating to the students after they have paid to go to Oxford. Will the students have to pay for the type rating as well?

Surely the way ahead has got to be to move to MPL with the Core and Basic phase done at Oxford and the intermediate and Advanced at GAA in Bahrain. Chris R Gulf training manager said that was what Gulf Air wanted at the Aqaba MPL forum in 2008!

WELCO
10th Jul 2009, 14:13
GAA has nothing to do with the training department at GF. GAA is only owned by Mumtalakat which is the owner of several governmental companies including GF. Oxford graduates will get the opportunity to do the sim check and if hired, GF will sponsor their type rating just like any other non-type rated pilot.

And your projection for MPL training might be very close to the actual plans. However, this seems far from execution now.

Mike.Park
10th Jul 2009, 15:09
GulfAir/OAA/GAA/Mumtalakat/Tamkeen/BDB = Messy & unnecessary

Why can't Gulf Air just run a mentored pilot scheme?

If Gulf Air are in need of freshly qualified Bahraini pilots, they could have run their own mentored pilot scheme. This would involve GF running their own selection process and offering successful candidates conditional employment with Gulf Air providing they successfully complete and fund their training at an FTO nominated by GF.

- There would be no financial risk to Gulf Air
- The financial risk to the candidate will be largely reduced (due to the conditional job offer which will make access to a training loan much easier)

Wouldn't this be a win-win for everyone?

SilveR5
11th Jul 2009, 12:45
GulfAir/OAA/GAA/Mumtalakat/Tamkeen/BDB = Messy & unnecessary

Come on...that's too harsh!
Many Bahrainis were eagerly waiting for this program to start.

Guys give us a break from negativity.

Mike.Park
11th Jul 2009, 20:04
Guys give us a break from negativity.

If your after positive spin, lies, and PR the GDN would be a good place to start.

gilderoy lockhart
12th Jul 2009, 03:47
Silver

"Guys give us a break from negativity."

If they do start MPL as Welco intimates, I look forward to your positive posts!

SilveR5
13th Jul 2009, 10:54
Mike.Park & gilderoy lockhart

Don't put my words out of context!:=

Saying that

"GulfAir/OAA/GAA/Mumtalakat/Tamkeen/BDB = Messy & unnecessary"

is totally unfair and presuming failure of the program before even letting things happen and yield some results! That's a negative attitude!!!

Mike.Park
13th Jul 2009, 15:47
totally unfair and presuming failure of the program before even letting things happen At what point did I presume failure?! I said it was messy & unnecessary.

Nobody wants to see young Bahraini men & women sinking in debt because of broken (and sometimes false) promises.

777-Aviator
13th Jul 2009, 19:55
Mike.Park

From the beginning you looked so much against GAA and the other stuff..or at least you looked not happy with it...unlike all the 300+ guys who ahave applied for the program!! what's the matter pal???:rolleyes:

You know what... I guess you were invited to the assessment but couldn't pass..may be!:E

Mike.Park
13th Jul 2009, 21:23
I guess you were invited to the assessment but couldn't pass..may be!

Dream on!

a. I don't live in Bahrain
b. I have no intentions of applying

Mahmood Alsitri
15th Jul 2009, 08:17
Hi

Did they call anyone for the next step ?

I had passed my interview and I am still waiting for their next call !

Mike.Park
17th Jul 2009, 12:54
They've launched their official website now :eek:

Gulf Aviation Academy (http://www.gulfaa.com/)

Che Guevara
17th Jul 2009, 16:20
They've launched their official website now http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

Who designed that?....hope they didn't pay for it.

What a sham. :rolleyes:

Mike.Park
17th Jul 2009, 19:47
hope they didn't pay for it.

It was paid for - designed by none other than Al-Nadeem IT in Bahrain :yuk:

Sultan85
17th Jul 2009, 20:57
When I told guys that there is a bad smell in that new GAA, some of you attacked me!:ouch:
Now the milking just started, the website cost is just example of it!:eek:
Good luck!:}

Duh
18th Jul 2009, 05:57
It was no less designed and implemented by a few IT pro's from India. If there is one thing that Indians should not have any connection with is computers, especially IT.

gilderoy lockhart
18th Jul 2009, 12:03
WELCO you said "GAA has nothing to do with the training department at GF"

Looking at the map on the website, the GAA facility seems to be in exactly the same place as Gulf Air's training department!

Mike.Park
18th Jul 2009, 12:52
I think the colocation is down to the fact that both GAA & Gulf Air share the same parent company (Mumtalakat)

WELCO
18th Jul 2009, 13:12
Well, GAA and the training department at GF are closely tied to each other, or even interchanging.

The above statment is true only if you are a "speculations fan"!!

Up to the minute, GAA is not overtaking or replacing GF's training department by any means. Could this happen in the future?? I don't know, I only care to share facts not fiction! And the fact here is that GAA officials have mentioned in the media something about plans to offering advanced training to GF staff BUT they are not ready-to-execute plans. Things will take time to develop.

Since Mumtalakat is the owner of both GF and GAA, I see nothing wrong with the map! If you've ever been there you will notice that there is nothing carrying the name of GAA officially. The only visible proof of existance of GAA is few scattered "paper signs". So don't forget the "under formation" trace! No rush.

I think when the "careers" section in that website is open, many things will be clearly understood.

AMEERKHALIL
19th Jul 2009, 16:30
How many applicants have been selected to date?
Are they still screening and inviting people?

Mike.Park
20th Jul 2009, 18:15
Apparently they are on the final stages and they have been informing applicants over the phone whether they were successful or not

Mahmood Alsitri
23rd Jul 2009, 09:59
Hello

Any new news ? :rolleyes:

Mods
23rd Jul 2009, 18:11
hey Guys,

does anyone have any idea when or if they will have the program again, apparently not reading the paper has it's downfalls.

''25th of June'' was the last date to get in.

SL4T
24th Jul 2009, 12:28
Someone I know is doing the Day1 tests next week (30th July).

777-Aviator
24th Jul 2009, 20:12
Someone I know is doing the Day1 tests next week (30th July).

:eek::eek::eek:

When was his day 1 assessment?
They invited him for day 2 one week earlier (at least)??

Please elaborate.

Thanks

WELCO
25th Jul 2009, 09:59
If what SL4T has mentioned is correct, that would indicate a situation where GAA is struggling to spot a sufficient number of qualified cadets! A conclusion that looks logical to me, taking into consideration the poor overall performance of applicants and the very low pass rate during the early days of the skill assessment tests.

I hope I'm wrong with this conclusion!

Mike.Park
25th Jul 2009, 11:17
Welco your probably right.

If the 'compass' tests are challenging over in Europe, it'll no doubt be a struggle over in the middle east.

WELCO
25th Jul 2009, 13:11
It needs real skill to be a COMPASS Acer, & not to be a Needle Chaser!

Viva Oxford!

SL4T
26th Jul 2009, 22:49
WELCO, it's true. He was contacted by phone and email.

Initially I thought the same, that they probably didn't get enough candidates. But then something occured to me.....

From what I hear, over 400 people applied.

400 x BD200 = BD80'000 :eek:

Not Bad at all. Heck, I wouldn't stop until each and every applicant has done the tests.

Mike.Park
27th Jul 2009, 09:01
400 x BD200 = BD80'000

I don't think that's the case. From what I can understand, the vast majority of wannabes never got the chance to go through selection because they narrowed down who they wanted to screen based on academic background.

AMEERKHALIL
27th Jul 2009, 12:19
That’s not true Mike. The total number of applicants was more than 300 up to the deadline of submitting the applications 25th of June.
SL4T is talking about 400 now, that means all wannabes got a chance to go through the assessment regardless their academic background.

WELCO
27th Jul 2009, 13:05
all wannabes got a chance to go through the assessment regardless their academic background.

GAA is only reaching the bottom of the applicants list, and without relaxing the selection criteria. However, you may argue the deadline issue and the financial interest.

Coolred38
1st Aug 2009, 23:16
Hello everyone...Ive been following this thread closely as my son is one of those trying to get a place in this pilot program.

It would seem that, according to comments here, that the choices have been slim and that potential candidates have fallen short of meeting the criteria. Im curious as to what criteria is being used to choose these candidates because my son seems to fit everything they asked for...and he was one of the 7 called back for day 2 interviews...he passed everything with no problems and told me he got very positive feed back from the interviewers...and yet he got a phone call saying he was on some sort of stand by...that he didnt actually make it but might be considered and not to lose hope. (something like that as he was very upset over the call)

I want to know then...what criteria is required? Someone commented that nobody knew much about the airplanes etc....I didnt see knowledge of aircrafts as requirements to be met on the application forms....and anyhow...isnt that what they will teach you in the program?

My son has been an A student ALL his academic life. He has never gotten into trouble...has a clean history and worked hard for every thing he has earned thus far...and he dreamed to be a pilot....but we dont have money to pay for him...so this program practically fell out of the sky into his lap and he was over the freakin moon about it...walking on cloud 9 for days until he was called in for his interviews etc...then he was BOUNCING on clouds for days after that...then the phone call and he is crushed.

What the heck does a person have to have to get in this program...desire....ability to learn...strong character and willing personality etc...what? He has all of those as well as perfect English...which many of those there that day indicated was a MUST.

So basically he met every requirement they asked for...and yet was seemingly declined. What the heck were they REALLY looking for...or was this just a publicity stunt or some such thing which happens quite alot in Bahrain...everything is for show...nothing with substance.

Someone who tried and failed miserably (his english is terrible) said they told him 2 years college was required...but that is NOT listed on the requirements page...and if it were...then I would guess that we along with many other families...would not have struggled to come up with this much needed Bd200 to pay for applying...if we knew we didnt fullfill the requirements....so if that is true...we deserve our Bd200 back as it was taken with false information.

My son just wants to be a pilot...and he thought his dream was actually within his grasp...but this whole thing has seemed to be an elaborate charade from the start. Is there anywhere we can get some answers?

Thanks for listening.

777-Aviator
3rd Aug 2009, 02:22
No need to panic Coolred38!

Your son has passed day 1 assessment, which was the hardest part. Now that means he was more than halfway through! For day 2, unless he has shown some terrible attitude or given totally irrelevant answers to specific questions, he will be just fine and likely to be selected.

For the total number of cadets who have been interviewed, they were surely more than 7 by far. It's true only 7 have made it during the first few days, but later on, more cadets have passed too. What I know is that the first batch will be around 20 cadets. On a latter stage, there will be other batches to follow. So if he wasn't selected for the first, he might catch the second I guess. Another thing, which is of my own assumptions and may not be true, what if they have done some sort of ranking of the guys who have passed. If this is the case, then just passing the tests and the interview won't necessarily mean that an applicant has secured a seat!

The good thing is that they have never told your son that he has failed or will not get a chance at all to join. May be they are keeping him for the next intake. Let's say his status is "pending"! That's not bad at all to be honest. Many applicants didn't make it, and they were never contacted to know why!

I know how your son feels after all. But try to discuss it with him positively (and you are not faking anything though!!). Patience is his asset now!

All the best:ok:

Red max
3rd Aug 2009, 06:23
As I understood from the thread it's not a full sponsership! so if your son doesn't get selected he still have hope by joining another school and showing the acceptance letter to the bank for a student loan.
Another thing that flying schools don't tell you is that the price you get quoted is the bear minimum , If the student goes over them he has to pay the diffrence that and plus the fuel surcharge if it goes up.
It only takes two things to fly, airspeed and money.

Mike.Park
3rd Aug 2009, 17:53
As I understood from the thread it's not a full sponsership!Red max, your right it's not full sponsorship. Not getting through the dodgy GAA selection criteria is not the end all, be all. You'll be asked to take out a massive bank loan (rumoured to be over 50k Dinars) and a job offer at the end of training is neither guaranteed nor even conditional - nothing in writing either!

It's important you take that into consideration.

we deserve our Bd200 back as it was taken with false information.Coolred38, I agree and I'm sympathetic to everyone who had to pay 200 Dinars only to be shown the door, or just left hanging. I discussed this in a previous post earlier on. In my opinion, it's criminal that they were allowed to charge everyone for the "privilege" of being screened. It's unjustified.

If your paying to put yourself through a selection process, you should at least, as a bare minimum expect some form of written or oral feedback in return for your money.

I don't know how things are done at GAA, but I can tell you that the more reputable flight schools out there offer a service in return for your custom. You are given a full debrief at the end where a flight or ground instructor will go through your performance on each of the testing areas, discuss your weak areas, and give you hints and suggestions on how to improve should you need to.

Perhaps someone from GAA can muster up the courage and offer an explanation on here?!

Che Guevara
4th Aug 2009, 10:06
Not getting through the dodgy GAA selection criteria is not the end all, be all.
Mike, the first day's assessment is carried out by Oxford, surely you're not suggesting that their criteria is 'dodgy'?
Indeed, as a casual observer I think it is the only bona fide part of the entire program.

Mike.Park
4th Aug 2009, 11:29
surely you're not suggesting that their criteria is 'dodgy'The OAA selection in itself is not dodgy, but it's worth mentioning that OAA are simply a customer of GAA at this point, and prospective students are not completely experiencing what they would if they were going through OAA's selection process back in the UK. The fact that nobody was given debriefs or feedback is one example.

GAA are still involved in the selection process, albeit with some help from OAA.

This is what it says on the OAA website re selection tests which YOU pay for:

"On completion of the process, all candidates are given a comprehensive and open review of their results. Those who do not meet the required standard and for whom airline pilot training would be considered inappropriate, will be counselled accordingly."

UPDATE: I have emailed Annie Shagra at GAA and I have invited her to respond to some of the issues raised on this forum.

WELCO
4th Aug 2009, 12:35
Applicants should know how they performed in the assessment with justifications for the overall results. So apart from the debriefing issue, I do believe the whole program is fine. And I think the word "dodgy" is an overstatement. GAA did not promise any debriefings or refunds, and all applicants did accept that.

GAA are still involved in the selection process, albeit with some help from OAA.

Certainly not. It's the other way round! Technically speaking, OAA is responsible for selection with only some help from GAA. Once OAA has selected the proper candidates, GAA tells who to go now and who to go later. They are the customers as you have said.

Remember that OAA is regarded as the best FTO in this sort of business, and surely they don't want to hurt this eminent position by accepting cadets who are below their well-defined standards.

Mike.Park
4th Aug 2009, 14:13
And I think the word "dodgy" is an overstatement.It's the way GAA went about doing things which I disagree with, not the actual assessment being conducted by OAA. I understand that GAA never promised debriefings or refunds but that doesn't mean it was the right thing to do - but hey, it's Bahrain so 'mafee mushkilla'

Technically speaking, OAA is responsible for selection with only some help from GAA.OAA can whittle down the numbers by their selection process and 'green light' a group of individuals who would probably make good candidates, but GAA can still pull the plug on any number of those candidates based on their own criteria.

Remember that OAA is regarded as the best FTO in this sort of business, and surely they don't want to hurt this eminent position by accepting cadets who are below their well-defined standards.Your quite right. OAA is a well oiled pilot factory and they've really streamlined their flight training operations. There's little room for them to allocate resources for those who fall behind and need extra work.

Don't forget that in the UK, it's the UK CAA that externally examine students when it comes to your Class 1 medical, your ATPL theoretical exams, and finally your Instrument Rating skills test - your examiner will have been appointed by the Authority and not the FTO in question.

WELCO
4th Aug 2009, 16:15
but GAA can still pull the plug on any number of those candidates based on their own criteria.

Do you think GAA really want to do that when they can hardly find suitable candidates? based on OAA selection at first place?

Don't forget that in the UK, it's the UK CAA that externally examine students when it comes to your Class 1 medical, your ATPL theoretical exams, and finally your Instrument Rating skills test - your examiner will have been appointed by the Authority and not the FTO in question.

Been there....!!

Coolred38
4th Aug 2009, 20:23
Thanks you guys for taking the time to answer my questions. Does anyone have any tips for getting him into some other type program...point me in the right direction so to speak. I might be able to find someone to sponsor him.

I have a friend who writes for one of the local Arabic newspapers...she wants to do an interview with someone affiliated with this program but so far hasnt found anyone willing to speak to her...interesting.

SL4T
5th Aug 2009, 10:00
The following is confirmed:

6 or 7 guys attended a group interview this morning.

One guy was a bit late and sent home.

They were given group tasks and puzzles. The aim was to see group interaction, leadership and social skills, kinda like what is done in the annual CRM workshops.

In the afternoon they will be individually interviewed.

SL4T
5th Aug 2009, 10:15
Coolred38:

I think they just want to go through all applicants first and then, once the dust has settled, decide on who will be on group 1, 2, 3 ...etc.

Also, there is still one more test (which you didn't mention whether your son has done yet or not) before they make a decision and that's the Medical in Bahrain followed by a CAA Medical in the UK..

Mike.Park
5th Aug 2009, 11:23
There is no legal basis for a medical examination in Bahrain.

It's the class 1 examination at Aviation House in Gatwick that will be the deciphering make or break point (and it's also a pre-enrollment condition of OAA)

UPDATE 2: Annie Shagra from GAA declined my invitation to answer questions on the forum. Oh well.

Mike.Park
5th Aug 2009, 23:22
AIMING HIGH

By TOM HANRATTY, Posted on » Thursday, August 06, 2009

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/source/xxxii/139/images/pilots.jpg

TWENTY young Bahrainis took a step closer to their dream of becoming pilots yesterday, when they were announced as the first group to be accepted onto the new Cadet Pilot Training Programme. The Gulf Aviation Academy (GAA), a subsidiary of the Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company, yesterday announced the successful applicants during a Press conference at the Bahrain Business Incubator Centre (BBIC), Hidd.

One hundred Bahrainis will be given the opportunity to become commercial pilots under the initiative, which is a joint initiative by Mumtala-kat, the Bahrain Developm-ent Bank (BDB) and Tam-keen (formerly the Labour Fund).
The first batch of 20 will start their training at the Oxford Aviation Academy, in the UK, in October.

Speaking to the GDN yesterday the cadets expressed their excitement at being accepted onto the program-me.

"It means everything to me and my future," said Moha-mmed Saeed Al Manami.

"It's been my dream since childhood to be a pilot and it just feels great."

Echoing those sentiments, fellow candidate Tariq Bakhsh said it was an offer he couldn't turn down.

"This really means a lot to me," he said.

"The offer is really good and I've seen the offers from other universities but this one is very different.

"They offered so much and have made everything so much easier for students.
"I think nobody would reject it because in the end, you're going to study in Oxford where everything is the best."

The sense of excitement was evident throughout the group and none more so than for Rashid Abdulrahman Mohammed.

"This was my dream when I was four years old," he explai-ned.
"Every time I used to get on a plane I would be thinking in a few years, I will be flying this plane.

"Some people were asking me: 'Why a pilot? It's very dangerous.' So I had my doubts initially but soon they were cleared and I accepted the offer.
"I am very excited for October.

"Every time I get a call from them, I get more and more excited because it always seems to be something new."

Meanwhile, cadet Yousif Shareef said it was a very proud moment for him - adding he was fully committed to completing his studies and becoming a pilot.

"This is a great opportunity for me," he began. "I feel very proud that I've made it this far because it is known that Oxford assessments are really tough and not easy to pass.

"Of course it's a dream come true for me. I've always been surrounded by travel, my father travelled a lot and so do my uncles.

"It really is my passion and my dream and I would never give up. I want to work hard and get my licence so I can fly."

Come October, the cadets will spend the majority of their time in Oxford to complete the internationally certified commercial pilot training programme.
Once the two-year programme is complete, GAA will support the cadets in their job search both in Bahrain and across the region.

Speaking at yesterday's event, Mumtalakat chief executive officer Talal Alzain said everyone involved with the project was very proud of the cadets.
"All of the institutions involved in this programme are extremely proud of the first batch of cadets selected," he said.

"Aviation is a prestigious and exciting career choice and the GAA's programme is enabling Bahrainis, who may have dreamt of this career, to take their first steps in achieving their ambition.

"Bahrain is working to become a regional centre for aviation. Air transport infrastructure is of strategic importance to Bahrain due to the Kingdom's geographical location and it will help drive economic growth for the country in the future.

"The programme will help to supply the country's future demand for Bahraini trained commercial pilots as it develops its air transport infrastructure."
BDB banking services senior vice-president Adnan Al Balushi said the company was committed to helping the students finance the training.

"The BDB is working very closely with Mumtalakat and Tamkeen in order to help finance the training programme for these Bahraini graduates," he said.
"This programme will be particularly important in meeting the increasing demand on the commercial aviation sector."

Tamkeen chief executive Abdulelah Al Qassimi added there was an urgent need for trained Bahraini nationals in the aviation industry.

"The civil aviation sector is one of the fastest-growing business areas in the world and the GCC and according to our Skills Gap Survey, there is an urgent need for trained nationals to work in this area as professionals as pilots, engineers etcetera," he said.

"This first batch of Bahraini cadets, who will go through a world-class pilot training course at GAA, represent the commitment of Tamkeen to structure training that responds to market needs and which will give Bahrainis new career opportunities, full of growth and promise."

The programme will be managed by the Gulf Avia-tion Academy, which is the first aviation academy in Bahrain.

It is a 16 to 19-month intensive training course that will qualify Bahraini graduates with no previous flying experience, but who have demonstrated qualities needed to become an internationally-certified commercial pilot.

Coolred38
6th Aug 2009, 01:18
Well congratulations to them...but I still dont understand why my son wasnt accepted. He passed everything and was called back twice.

Anyhow...we should just assume it wasnt meant to be.

Northbeach
6th Aug 2009, 03:35
Coolred38,

As a current Boeing 737 captain I have seen several of these ab-initio programs in my career. In my opinion the weakest point is the selection process. It is weak because ultimately the people who make the decisions on who gets selected as a pilot are those who are politically connected or those bankrolling the process. Neither one of those “qualifications” has any idea on what makes a “good and successful” pilot. The funniest thing I ever saw regarding this kind of thinking was a video clip of young cadets swinging on trapezes like gymnasts in training because whoever was in charge of pilot training thought pilots should be able to see and think clearly while doing maximum maneuvers in their fighter jets. For what it is worth their pilots were slaughtered in combat.

Another dumb example of this was a major US carrier who needed pilots-40 years ago-decided all they needed was to find ‘really smart” people and make them into pilots. So they went out and recruited PHD students to train at the airline’s expense. Over the long term they were not any more successful than most other candidates.

No, your son’s dream does not have to die. If he is determined and persistent he can achieve his dream.

In 30 years of flying I have worked with military and civilian pilots, those from prestigious schools and those who went to schools nobody remembers. It is not where a pilot gets their training that matters. What matters is the personal drive for excellence, maturity and the ability to make good decisions-the rest of it is hard work.

I believe the American economy will continue to decline. As that economic decline takes place the buying power of other currencies will increase making the cost of training in the USA cheaper than most other places. There are many good schools here in the USA, and other places in the world.

I would pass on two things. First of all you need to make sure there is no medically disqualifying item in your son’s health. As pilots we undergo a fairly extensive medical screening every six months. There are many conditions that will cause a pilot to loose their medical certificate, without a medical certificate you cannot fly. Secondly, the flight training is only the first step. After you complete your training you have to accumulate hours of flying experience in increasingly complex aircraft to have any chance at a commercial pilot job. Ab-initio is great, especially if there is a flow through job at the completion of the training. But it is not the only way.

“It was not meant to be” is a cultural mindset, and I respect that. So is “where there is a will there is a way”. We are free to choose. I wanted to be a military pilot; the military rejected me because of a fault in one of my eyes, so I went the civilian route. I will never have the exhilaration of being shot off the deck of an aircraft carrier at night with a fully loaded fighter. So what? My real ambition was to be a Captain of an airliner-and that is what I am today. In spite of being medically rejected by the military.

Respectfully,

Mike.Park
6th Aug 2009, 14:18
For those of you who are interested, GAA has now registered itself as a company, and it's CR details are now available for inspection on the MOIC website.

http://www.moic.gov.bh/eservices/inquiry/branchredirect.asp?bno=72368-1&fromflag=inq

Coolred38
7th Aug 2009, 08:19
Northbeach...thank you for that comment. My comment about "it wasnt meant to be" was specifically aimed at this program...not on his chances of being a pilot in general...sorry for the ambiguity.

I realize there are other options for him...I was just thinking this would have been a nice stepping stone for him because as a single mom...MY options are limited as to what I can offer him in his future education etc.

I agree with you totally about political appointees etc as I happen to know several of the family names displayed in that pic of selected candidates could very well pay for their own child to study...and leave a space for someone a bit more needy...but that is Bahrain...all about the "wasta".

Red max
9th Aug 2009, 00:31
You could enroll him in any school in AUS/NZ/Canada , after choosing the school and before paying the enrollment fees get a class 1 medical test for that country done just to be on the safe side. As I mentioned before when getting a loan get more than quoted fees because you don't know what is going to happen and most of the time you end up paying more than you've been quoted due to many reasons holdings , turn backs due to the weather ...etc

Mike.Park
4th Sep 2009, 23:33
Sky's the limit for trainee pilots

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/source/xxxii/169/images/Lpic2.jpg

ONE hundred Bahrainis are to be trained to fly commercial planes for some of the region's biggest airlines as part of a new initiative, it has been announced.

The Gulf Aviation Academy (GAA) has joined forces with world-renowned pilot training organisation the Oxford Aviation Academy (OAA) to provide the young cadets with the tuition necessary to gain the prestigious Airline Transport Pilot's Licence (ATPL).

There are also plans to increase the number in future years if there is sufficient demand in the market for Bahraini pilots.

Twenty cadets, aged between 18 and 20, have already been selected for the two-year Ab-Initio course and will begin their training shortly, at OAA's facilities in Oxford, Melbourne, and Phoenix, the US.

As part of the agreement, a ground training facility will also be set up in Bahrain for the programme.

It is part of a joint initiative launched earlier this year between Mumtalakat (of which GAA is a fully-owned subsidiary), the Bahrain Development Bank (BDB) and Tamkeen (Labour Fund).

GAA marketing and business development head Khalil Amin told the GDN it was vital to Bahrain's plans to become a regional aviation hub that there was a supply of young, talented and well-qualified local pilots.

"As mentioned by Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company chief executive officer Talal Al Zain, Bahrain is aspiring to become an aviation hub in the region and this initiative is directed towards this aim," he said.

"We are looking to build a future pool of Bahraini pilots who are empowered at the highest standards so that they can take up positions in Gulf Air as well as other airlines in the region.

"The majority of experienced pilots that I have met have trained with OAA and they have the quality and infrastructure necessary to make this work, so it was a natural choice."

OAA's Ab-Initio training division managing director Anthony Petteford added that the organisation was looking forward to helping Bahrain become a leading centre in aviation training.

"This new agreement matches OAA's overall strategy of aligning with high quality partners to further develop pilot training opportunities worldwide," he said.

Although the cadets will be expected to pay for the BD45,000 course, they will initially be given a BDB-provided loan.

The students will have a two-year grace period before they will have to pay anything back and thanks to Tamkeen they will not have to pay any interest as it agreed to take care of the charges.

New batches of prospective pilots will be selected shortly, with the GAA planning to tour schools and universities in an attempt to raise awareness about the course.

Source: GDN (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=258934)

Mike.Park
13th Sep 2009, 09:19
Gulf Aviation Academy appoints Memac Ogilvy Bahrain as its communications Agency

13 September 2009

Memac Ogilvy & Mather Bahrain has been appointed by Gulf Aviation Academy ("GAA"), a fully owned subsidiary of Mumtalakat , as its communications agency following a competitive pitch.

The Agency will work on brand strategy, creative ideas, public relations, digital, media planning and buying. Mr Khalil Amin, Head of Marketing and Business Development at GAA said; "Memac Ogilvy was chosen, following a rigorous selection process, for its creativity and true understanding of the organisation and the dynamic aviation industry on a regional and international scale. We look forward to working together as partners to launch GAA and build its profile worldwide."

Ghassan Boujacli, Managing Director of Memac Ogilvy & Mather Bahrain expressed his company's excitement about the win; "Working closely with Bahrain's first aviation academy and taking on an active role in the growth of the aviation industry, a key driver for the economy in the Kingdom, is a unique challenge and a privilege," he said.

"It is an exciting and interesting brief that already has our 360 degree brand stewardship team relishing the prospect of working on it - this is an opportunity for us to demonstrate our capabilities as the ideal partner for Gulf Aviation Academy as the organisation makes it mark on the world."

Gulf Aviation Academy is the first aviation academy to be based in the Kingdom of Bahrain.

Source: Zawya (http://www.zawya.com/story.cfm/sidZAWYA20090913083702)

Mike.Park
20th Oct 2009, 15:07
20 Gulf Aviation Academy cadets go to UK

The first batch of 20 Bahraini cadets from Gulf Aviation Academy (GAA) have left for England, to begin their Ab-Initio (from the beginning) programme, which is part of the process to gain the Airline Transport Pilot’s Licence (ATPL).

The programme, which is a joint initiative with Mumtalakat, Bahrain Development Bank (BDB) and Tamkeen (Labour Fund), is run by GAA. These cadets are the first of 100 Bahrainis who will have the opportunity to become commercial pilots.

The cadets will spend the majority of their time in Oxford, England to complete the internationally certified commercial pilot training programme. Once the two-year programme is complete, GAA will support the cadets in their job search both in Bahrain and across the region.

“This is a fantastic opportunity for the 20 Bahrainis chosen who went through rigorous testing and demonstrated the kind of enthusiasm and discipline necessary to achieve their goals in order to become fully licensed commercial pilots,” said Khalil Amin, head of Marketing and Business Development at GAA.

Source: Trade Arabia (http://www.tradearabia.com/news/newsdetails.asp?Sn=EDU&artid=169149)

So I guess they won't be spending any time in Pheonix, Arizona? Problems with obtaining M1 visas perhaps?

hunter320
20th Oct 2009, 15:36
I think you mean out of 300 who applied.... and paid 200 BD's for the interview.... and we all know how much money you made from just failing people in the interview.... what a joke....

Mike.Park
23rd Oct 2009, 14:33
and we all know how much money you made from just failing people in the interview

Me?! I have nothing to do with GAA!

Mike.Park
29th Oct 2009, 20:03
Gulf Aviation Academy gets simulator

The Bahrain-based Gulf Aviation Academy has announced the arrival of the first simulator which will allow pilots to train on the A320 aircraft type.
The second and third simulators are due to arrive in January and March 2010, as part of the academy’s $34 million investment.

Once the installation process is complete, by end of November 2009, the simulator will be checked and certified by the Bahrain Civil Aviation Authority. By the beginning of December 2009 the simulator will enter service and pilots can begin their training, said a statement.

Khalil Amin, head of marketing and business development at GAA, said: “The new simulators are an integral part of our future plans to set higher standards for aviation training, and with the arrival of the first one, we are well on our way to achieving these plans. We are constantly looking at ways to upgrade and enhance our operations.”

The academy, a fully owned subsidiary of Mumtalakat, offers a comprehensive range of training programmes for all aviation staff including pilots, cabin crew and ground staff.

Source: TradeArabia (http://www.tradearabia.com/news/newsdetails.asp?Sn=EDU&artid=169553)

Radar Contact
30th Oct 2009, 15:57
The loan is 50,000 not 45,000 BD

Jim Jordan
11th Nov 2009, 04:35
Is there any new news about it? I wonder if it's still open for the 3rd batch?

Regarding the loan amount BD 50,000 which is almost equal with today exchange rate to £79,328 is it enough or what?

Some say that except the first two batches the other batches will attend the ground school in Bahrain. What about the differences in the cost? Will students have the choice to choose the location of the flight training whether UK or Australia?

Mike.Park
29th Jan 2010, 18:40
Academy leads training push

By Murdo Morrison

Bahrain is stepping up efforts to become a centre of pilot, cabin crew and engineering training for the Middle East.

Gulf Aviation Academy (GAA), formerly Gulf Air's in-house training centre, was formally launched under its new brand at the show, with a mission to train and export young Bahrainis as well as attracting foreign students.

The academy - which houses an Airbus A330/A340 and two A320 full-flight simulators - is acquiring a third A320 machine and signed at the show a deal with CAE for an Embraer 170/190 7000 Series simulator.

The contract replaces an earlier order for an Airbus A330/A340 machine and follows Gulf Air's decision to lease two E-170s in its first foray into regional jets. Like GAA, Gulf Air is owned by state holding company Mumtalakat, but GAA is now being run as a separate business from the airline.

GAA also plans to eventually launch its own ab initio flying school in the kingdom: its students currently learn to fly in the USA and at Oxford Aviation Academy in the UK. As a first stage, GAA expects UK approval for a ground school in Bahrain "shortly".

GAA's "primary objective is to train Bahraini nationals", says Mumtalakat chief executive Talal Al Zain, but the facility will be marketed at foreigners. "GAA will be the foundation for a bigger aviation and training industry, bringing economic benefits to the kingdom of Bahrain," he says.

The collapse of the four-nation shareholding behind Gulf Air left the Bahrain-based carrier bereft of its maintenance arm - the former Gulf Air Maintenance Company in Abu Dhabi, now renamed Abu Dhabi Aircraft Technologies.

After daliances with third-party suppliers, Mumtalakat is establishing a Bahrain-based maintenance, repair and overhaul business to service both Gulf Air and third party aircraft.

The facility, due to open at Bahrain's international airport in 2012, will be a joint venture between a new Mumtalakat division, Gulf Technics, and SIA Engineering (SIAEC) of Singapore. SIAEC has had the contract to service Gulf Air's 34-aircraft fleet since 2009 and operates a hangar in Bahrain, but with little scope to introduce third-party work.

Source: Flight Global (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/01/29/337617/bahrain-air-show-academy-leads-training-push.html)

EagleY
4th Feb 2010, 07:36
From what I heard. New wannabes are being tested this week and the next.

Wonder if Bahraini airlines can keep up with the flow of fresh pilots :hmm:

rahulpereira
4th Feb 2010, 10:00
Hey guys can anyone tell me if like Etihad , non - Bahrainis can apply for the program ?
I am an Indian having an FAA PPL with 200 hrs of flying, will that be an advantage ?
Awaiting your replies,
Thanks a lot

Che Guevara
4th Feb 2010, 11:01
As far as Gulf Air goes, I believe not.

AMEERKHALIL
4th Feb 2010, 13:01
How many persons are they going to take this time and when they will start their training and where?

I heard that the second batch are about to start their course.

Any idea about the passing rate of the compass test?

Yo767
4th Feb 2010, 18:02
What about the passing rate of ''How to fly the :mad: airplane during the last 50ft before landing''?

A frustrated ex 767 Captain

Message to TRIs and TREs: It is very nice to teach cadets about SECs, FACs and ELACs and all those nice computers but what about teaching them how to :mad: land the goddammed airplane?

SkyDive6
11th Mar 2010, 05:55
thank you guys, as so many told me before. I think it would be wise to stick to my current situation although not interested in it as much as Flying.

Thank you again.

G-FULL
11th Mar 2010, 11:18
@skydive6; I think I met you in Costa in January with my friend. GO FOR IT! -- Don't look back, don't mind the utter nonsense people here post. Most of them are not even pilots, they are wannabes and jealous :)

SkyDive6
11th Mar 2010, 11:29
G-Full, I would really appreciate it if you'd give some more support to your advise?

I mean being a Pilot (besides the payment) it's a job i would die for but not useful if not employed correct? so 100 cadets from GAA to be marketed only and no job guarantee sounds very downing especially for me who is nearly 27 years old!

QA signed a contract with the Indians for new cadets, GF are going down the hill, Etihad + Emirates + FlyDubai don't look promising because they are only looking for F/Os and Captains, and the West are unreachable due to my nationality restriction.

hmm..

Mephistopheles
11th Mar 2010, 11:35
I would think very very carefully about taking a huge loan & then going training since there is no job guarantee, no matter what the guys at GAA say. Remember at the end of the day they are there to make money so the more of you they convince to take a nice big loan the better there bottom line is. They claim that they will help you find a job but with who-GF is very quickly going down the toilet & no longer has any ties with Mumtalakat, Bahrain Air has plenty of its own problems & I would be surprised to see if any of the 2 will be expanding within the next 5-10 years.
Sorry to ruin many of your guys dreams but just ask around coz there are almost +80 cadets sitting around Bahrain after their graduation waiting for a job & many cannot even find a non-aviation related job.
Bottom line-unless you have money to throw away I suggest you stick with whatever job you have.

G-FULL
11th Mar 2010, 12:38
@Skydive6; The west is coming here, not the opposite. You have the GCC airlines that would take you because you are Bahraini. Air Arabia head of HR is Bahraini, Qatar Airways is also Bahraini. Bahrain Air would take you and don't forget, Gulf Air would NEVER go down. Might become private but not down. Best of luck and go for it! :ok:

Mephistopheles
11th Mar 2010, 13:06
G-FULL are you even in the aviation business?

The west is coming here, not the opposite.

I have no idea what you mean by that comment but the is not coming here to Bahrain, they are interested Saudi, UAE & Qatar. Bahrain does not even show up on their radar.

You have the GCC airlines that would take you because you are Bahraini.

What have Bahrainis suddenly become special? I think not. There are plenty of other full qualified & experienced nationalities around. The airline in the region are basing their future plans & crewing requirement on the availability of Bahraini pilots.

Bahrain Air will take you if you pay for your sim & line training.

GF may after you after a prolonged period of being unemployed & depending on if needed or not.

Arabia will take you if you pay BD20000.

Qatar do not non national take S/Os.

Emirates do not take non national S/Os.

Etihad do not take non national S/Os.

So basically your best bet,if you are dying to fly, is to hand over another BD20000 & go for Arabia since both GF & Bahrain Air cannot be trusted.

BD70000 to get a license & job!?!? Sounds like too big a gamble.

SkyDive6
11th Mar 2010, 13:21
Mephistopheles,

Arabia will take you if you pay BD20000

Pay AA for what exactly?

And as for QA they do take S/Os from all nationalities under one requirement, they should be below 28 years old and I can confirm that because I spoke with a person who works in QA HR (Two weeks ago).

As for the part you said it is a gamble your 100% correct that's why I came knocking here to get more perspective on the industry and to see more suggestions but I am keeping in my mind that there are people like you, G-Full, and others here might be trying to help or not. Some being really supportive and some not.

So I thank you.

G-FULL
11th Mar 2010, 13:53
@ Mephistopheles : I doubt you are. WE do have American/European and South American pilots among us in Bahrain.

Bahrain Air does not require the pay upfront but rather deducted from your salary if you are a national. Air Arabia is run by a Bahraini CEO/HR etc... so there are exceptions :)

@Skydive6; It depends on how happy you are in the bank and if you can to recover a bit after the training. There is always a self-sponsored route if you can afford it.

Best of luck

Mephistopheles
11th Mar 2010, 14:07
G-FULL I have been in this once beautiful airline for a little over a quarter of a century, probably way before you even saw your first aeroplane. The expats that joined us within the last few years only did so since they were out of work or were working in dead end airlines & thought GF might be a good career move(?). Many of them did not get excepted by EK/EY/QR so they joined us & many are trying to make a move at this moment.
QR only accept Qataris S/Os.
Bahrain Air will charge per training sector & then when you get cleared don't even think about getting your F/Os salary since they will tell you that you will remain on your S/O salary for another 6 months to pay for the training costs???
Air Arabia's CEO may be Bahraini but he will not compromise his position by waving the company's training costs for a few cadets.

Mephistopheles
11th Mar 2010, 14:34
SkyDive6 I would noramlly encourage anyone to take up flying since it is a fantastic, interesting & well paying career. But in my day GF fully sponsored us & gave us jobs at the end of it. The times have changed greatly now & the cost a getting a foot in the door is now vast & possibly crippling. We were very lucky indeed in our day. For people to tell you just to "go for it" without thinking of the possible outcomes is inconsiderate & coming from a professional pilot very unexpected. I just tell people like yourself do not jump into it blindly, investigate your options, weigh up your risks & then make an educated decision.

almoabd
6th Jul 2010, 14:42
I know they will give us the English, physics and mathematics I want to know how are the tests and what will be these questions for Admission Test
because i want to study for the admission test :)

CadetPilot
15th Apr 2011, 23:32
"As part of Tamkeen’s initiatives and programmes for Human Capital Development, an agreement was signed today between Tamkeen and the Gulf Aviation Academy (GAA) to train and qualify 65 Bahraini pilots seeking jobs with a total cost of up to BD 490,000, with Tamkeen covering the tuition fees equally with the trainees. This agreement, signed by Tamkeen’s Vice President for Enterprises and Human Capital Development, Dr. Ahmed Abdul Ghani Al-Shaikh, and the Chief Executive Officer of GAA, Mr. Tim Shattock, comes within the package of training programmes stated in the signed MOU between the two parties during Bahrain International Air show back in January 2010, through which Tamkeen aims to provide distinctive training opportunities in advanced specialisations for Bahrainis. Moreover, the agreement states to employ the trainees after successful completion of their training programme in a number of international airlines.
Gulf Aviation Academy is a pioneering initiative and a valuable part of Bahrain’s aviation industry. As shareholders and investors, we see GAA as an essential part of our strategy to grow and diversify Bahrain’s economy and back initiatives to create high value jobs.” said Mr. Talal Al Zain, the CEO of Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Co.
He added: “This partnership with Tamkeen will ensure that more Bahrainis receive the skills and training they deserve. It is an initiative we should all be proud of.” P <>
In a statement on this occasion, Tamkeen’s VP Dr. Ahmed AbdulGhani Al-Shaikh praised this agreement, its outcomes and the fruitful cooperation with GAA, especially as it opens a window of opportunity for the Bahraini trainees to enter the local and regional labour market in distinctive specialisations, which Tamkeen hopes to achieve through its programmes and initiatives for the Bahraini youth.
“Tamkeen will equally share the training cost with the trainees, where the total cost per trainee will amount to BD 15,080, whereby Tamkeen pays BD 7,540 of the total cost while the trainee will bear the remainder” P < added. he>
Tamkeen’s VP for Enterprise and Human Capital Development also said that the programme comes to fill one of the local and regional market gaps, especially with the increasing demand by airline companies for skilled labour in these advanced technical specialisations.
He also explained that the programme, which will last for 8 weeks, is scheduled to include 65 Bahraini pilots, and targets securing employment for junior pilots who currently have no Aircraft type rating, with airlines in the Gulf region.
On the other hand, the CEO of GAA, Mr. Tim Shattock, stressed the importance of the fertile cooperation with Tamkeen in qualifying and training Bahraini pilots to be the employees of choice in this field at the local and regional levels. He pointed out the significance of this training in meeting the ongoing needs and the increasing demand for these specialisations, especially with the growth of the aviation industry in the MENA region.
Engineer Mahmood Al Balooshi, the Chief Operations Officer at GAA, commented that the Academy has the state of the art theoretical and practical training means. We hope that the agreement with Tamkeen would pave the way to further cooperation, as we are confident that the Bahraini pilots will be a source for meeting current needs in this sector in various Gulf countries. We also thank Tamkeen for its support and awareness of the need to invest in Bahraini human capital, and for the provision of knowledge and expertise with the view of producing creative and distinguished Bahrainis in this vital field."

ironbutt57
16th Apr 2011, 14:44
Actually Mephistopheles, QR did in fact recruit some GAA potentials, not sure of the details, but in fact no requirement to be a Qatari national, GCC seems to be acceptable..

Che Guevara
16th Apr 2011, 18:01
Heard they were not too impressed with the Jordan 'graduates'.

WELCO
20th Apr 2011, 12:01
QR did in fact recruit some GAA potentials

Well.. None of GAA cadets has earned the license yet, however it's expected that some might get hired by QA. Keep in mind that the demand in GF COULD be above normal for a reason!

Heard they were not too impressed with the Jordan 'graduates'

Very true indeed.

Mike.Park
28th Apr 2011, 15:32
Bahraini trainee pilots suspended from UK flying school after attending protests

Oxford Aviation Academy cancels lessons after request from the regime, which wants students to return home for questioning.

A leading British flying school has suspended seven trainee airline pilots from Bahrain after they attended a peaceful demonstration in London against their government's violent crackdown on dissent.

Full article here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/28/bahraini-trainee-pilots-suspended)

z.khalid
1st Jun 2011, 11:45
Does anyone have any idea when the Oxford Assessment (for second officers) is going to be done at GAA?
People have been waiting on this for months now.

Radar Contact
7th Sep 2011, 10:29
Any news about the upcoming batches?

I heard they will be sent to FTEJerez or Ireland.

40&80
8th Sep 2011, 00:21
What happened... if anything.... to these student pilots ordered to return to Bahrain?
Did they go back? or did they get given UK residency and pilot jobs with BA?

WELCO
8th Sep 2011, 11:55
Absolutely nothing has occurred to them! They've been allowed to resume their training like if nothing has happened! That was 3 months ago anyway!

Jobs with BA?! You must be kidding, right?

Che Guevara
9th Sep 2011, 21:22
How could anything happen to them? The majority are paying for their own training with no guarantees at the other end.
i.e. Good luck to them.

WELCO
10th Sep 2011, 00:45
I agree with you Che... But if you think about it from Oxford's point of view... GAA is the sponsor i.e they pay Oxford to train the guys.. So whatever the sponsor says, Oxford has to follow! Pure business mate!

Nekro
4th May 2012, 09:36
I'm thinking of applying soon. It's with PTC now not Oxford. just wondering, how do you prepare for the selection process? I know you have to pay around 200BD to take the test, so I don't want to go there clueless.

RP-C000
5th May 2012, 01:46
Alpha Aviation Group Multi-crew Pilot Licence (MPL) (http://www.alphaaviationgroup.com/academies/alpha-aviation-group-uae/courses-on-offer/multi-pilot-license-programme-a320)

vfenext
5th May 2012, 07:20
Seems someone is spamming the forum with Alpha Aviations MPL course. Don't touch this course until the airlines accept the licence. At the moment it's an unknown quantity and won't get you a job. Do your research and choose wisely.

RP-C000
5th May 2012, 08:34
its not spam ... Alpha Aviation and Air Arabia offer a full time job if you pass the MPL course successfully... contact Carsten Borgen ([email protected]) for more info

vfenext
6th May 2012, 03:37
You sound like a salesman in a cheap suit selling junk licences for Alpha. The MPL is not a viable option. Too expensive, too experimental, too risky! Downturn throws MPL pilots on scrapheap (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/downturn-throws-mpl-pilots-on-scrapheap-310559/)

777-Aviator
7th May 2012, 00:06
The MPL is not a viable option. Too expensive, too experimental, too risky!

Absolutely true! Spot on buddy!

RP-C000
21st May 2012, 03:10
Taras B not true... pls give the facts here...Batch 7 of AAG UAE (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.289493977810881.66612.185481661545447&type=1)

ironbutt57
21st May 2012, 04:58
At the end of the day the MPL is a risky undertaking, and given the fact it costs as much as a CPL or even a frozen ATPL, whats the use???

vfenext
21st May 2012, 07:51
Since when did a bunch of pictures on Facebook become the results of an audit? RP-C000 give up the cheap marketing. I don't think you're fooling anyone anymore. The MPL is a failed experiment, banished to the boneyard of bad aviation ideas.

RP-C000
22nd May 2012, 03:13
MPL is a risky undertaking

is like saying mankind will never fly ! :=

RP-C000 give up the cheap marketing.

if it hurts you dont watch it...free speech ! you have the right to your opinion I have the right to mine backed up by facts.. :ok: the fact is that cadets are under training at AAPA for the core flying and return for sim training to AAG UAE is proof that the course is GCAA approved and AAG has passed all audits and mistakes of the past are now being fixed..

RP-C000
22nd May 2012, 03:33
and what is the current status of the Alpha Sharjah school with respect to GCAA..? pls call the GCAA and get the info from them directly ! nothing to hide here...

ironbutt57
22nd May 2012, 05:42
Level 3 english there RP??? It is a financial waste of time when a frozen ATPL or CPL (which allows you to pursue the employer of your choice)...why would ANYbody go do an MPL without and CONFIRMED employment.....doing a self-sponsored MPL is risky.....

RP-C000
22nd May 2012, 05:57
:8 :\ my bad poor English...

AAG & Air Arabia MPL offers employment after successful completion of the MPL course.
ABY's requirement is for 60 MPL cadets every year..:D

vfenext
22nd May 2012, 11:22
RP, the MPL is a scam and anyone who does even a little research knows it. Spend the money on a CPL and get a real job with a real airline, simple as that. Everything else is a pale and almost useless imitation. At least three of the posters here are experienced airline Capt's who know what they are talking about. You on the other hand are only interested in liberating innocent candidates from their hard earned cash. Shameful!

RP-C000
23rd May 2012, 03:42
one of the Sr Capt's from Gulf Air his son is a cadet with the AAG & Air Arabia MPL programme... so I guess he must be wrong too..

just how Lufthansa and other major airlines who run MPL programmes are all wrong and plan to run a failed concept... :ugh::ugh:

ironbutt57
23rd May 2012, 04:42
If the airline is running it, AND they are sending cadets who are already chosen for the course by said airline BEFORE they attend said course, thats another matter...the comment was "self-sponsored"..(english reading again)...if one has an airline contract IN HAND BEFORE attending the course..its an entirely different matter...

vfenext
23rd May 2012, 06:29
RP after reading a lot of your posts I have come to the conclusion that you really are stupid.

fly_hailex
4th Jun 2012, 15:03
Hello There ,

I'm Haile. I have been following these thread & I presume you know a lot about GAA.
Here are my Questions. I am not a UAE citizen but I would like to apply for the Cadet program of GAA ? Is it possible ? Are there exceptions ?
Please explain

Thanks

Nekro
19th Nov 2012, 19:56
So anyone has news on this joke of an academy? what happened to all the graduates?

CadetPilot
20th Nov 2012, 11:08
^ Exactly what Rid3r said.
I know of so many guys that are working in the 2 companies, except some of them(Oxford grads) have sworn they won't pay a penny back until they are given a job.
Not sure how that will work out for them.
As for the guys that are with Alpha Aviation, I am not sure..

Mr. R
20th Nov 2012, 12:59
rumor has it that Air Arabia are offering Oxford grads from GAA line training hours and a job but I heard it will cost Tamkeen a pretty penny

and it seems parents of unemployed studnets are negotiating with BDB about the installments of these loans (remember Tamkeen subsidizes half of the course fees so they don't actually pay fifty large at all)

CadetPilot
20th Nov 2012, 15:18
Mr. R,

Ofcourse they pay it all. At least from what ive understood from my bunch of friends that went to Oxford.
They pay no interest though(I believe GAA pays that).
The other guys would have rather went to Oxford and not Jordan had it been cheaper in Oxford, some of them DID have both options.

I COULD be wrong, this is just as far as I've been told.
Maybe the guys don't even know what they got themselves into. :E

Mr. R
20th Nov 2012, 21:33
CadetPilot I got this info from a current student in AAG Sharjah. Tamkeen usually cover more than half the amount of the training program costs that they have which aren't aviation-related

Nekro
23rd Nov 2012, 11:46
Hahaha what a joke. I heard some of the cadets are actually going to be suing GAA for all this.

Mr. R
23rd Nov 2012, 12:20
on what grounds Nekro??

Nekro
23rd Nov 2012, 12:42
I have no idea what exactly it's all about, I just heard there were a lot of broken promises by GAA, they're having problems with BDB right now (have to pay back the loan)

mauro delpiero
24th Nov 2012, 18:19
Does anyone know how many people are waiting to join the airline who were trained through GAA/BDB/Tamkeen. And how many are presently in training? Lets do some quick maths say its a total of a 100 and each has a loan to BDB/Bank of 50,000BD. 100 x 50,000BD = 5million BD!

4q_aviator
26th Nov 2012, 20:17
None of the Cadets are under training. Though there have been many broken promises, the fault does not fall on GAA alone. The whole idea lacked information. For example, who would pick pilots with no rating or Experience. And regarding loan instalment all the cadets are to pay them reduced amount. But some of them are not paying until they get a job. Still hopeful that good will come there way.

FlyBoyMike
6th Feb 2016, 21:21
Hi Guys need your help, Please tell me some good TRTO DGCA india approved for A-320. Any info on GULF AVIATION ACADEMY(GAA) LIKE Training and instructors or personal experience is much appreciated.
thanks