PDA

View Full Version : Cutting & pasting.

goatface
14th Jun 2009, 20:47
Until recently, (about three weeks ago), I've been able to cut and paste from CAA Publications for use in our own Unit Documents.
We have Adobe 9 and Cute PDF and we fully subscribe to all the publcations which we want to copy into our own Unit procedures & publcations, so we're not exactly "stealing", or breaching copyright and I know that many units have done it for many years.
It was a very useful facility to have but the ability to use it seemes to have been withdrawn by the publisher (if they can do such a thing).

Ideas anyone?

Keef
14th Jun 2009, 21:49
Yes, PDF can do that. PDFs can be set to "cuttable" or "locked" (I don't know the official words).

If you have Windows 7 (or maybe Vista - I dunno), you can take a screengrab and then run OCR on it. I've done that a few times.

Tom_p
14th Jun 2009, 22:20
You could try,
press print screen then open up paint and press ctrl + v then cut out the relevant section and paste that in to your document.

Only prob is that it will be an image and not text.

Tom

Brewster Buffalo
14th Jun 2009, 22:30
I paste the screen print into a blank Word document and then use the word control that allows you to crop the picture so you can remove what you don't need from the image..

bnt
14th Jun 2009, 23:08
A non-Adobe reader such as Foxit Reader might let you copy and paste. I remember that I could copy from a protected document in the Linux PDF reader (evince).

One thing that might work, which I haven't tried from Adobe Acrobat, is printing to a file. If you set up a dummy Generic/Text Only printer that has its output port set to FILE:, you can print to it, and it asks you for a text file to print to.

Jofm5
14th Jun 2009, 23:40
If you have Windows Vista you can print the document using the XPS Document Writer which is a logical printer in control panel.

You can then double click on the file you created and it will open in Internet Explorer - which will allow you to copy from the document.

Ancient Observer
15th Jun 2009, 12:46
Ring up the section at the Belgrano that publish what you want and ask them if they meant to lock the pdf files. As 99% of their stuff is now online rather than on paper, i would guess that they just didn't notice.

goatface
29th Jun 2009, 17:48
Belated thanks to all.

It was a problem at the publishers, someone had used dvine wisdom and decided that certain CAP technical doc's could be publically mauled whilst others couldn't.

It's my understanding that any of the doc's on the listed on the CAA website are accessible for C & P.

Ta once again.