PDA

View Full Version : Dragonair Freighters

SevenO
4th Apr 2001, 10:45
Does anybody have the latest info on the Manchester based Dragonair 747 freighter operation.What is the F/O,F/E package on offer? Cheers

Po Boy
4th Apr 2001, 17:57
Some of those Dragon Air flights into MAN are being operated by Atlas Air Cargo.

2XL
4th Apr 2001, 20:11
Po Boy ALL the Dragonair flights into MAN are being operated by Atlas.

It appears the "new" Dragonair 747 freighters terms and conditions for pilots can't be agreed on and the plot thickens.

Haggis
6th Apr 2001, 10:02
Note: Terms & conditions are not being accepted regarding Direct Entry captains, the F.O's are in place to start training on 1st June to take over from Atlas in Aug.

Flap 5
6th Apr 2001, 20:34
Can't do a lot with just F/O's though can you? Dragonair pilots will not accept direct entry captains. But the company has not been averse to just doing what it wants anyway.

Lewis
6th Apr 2001, 21:53
Haggis: Will the 747 F/O's be on the Dragonair seniority list?

conairhk
7th Apr 2001, 05:58
There are two options:
1) The current situation prevails. The freighters are crewed by none Dragonair guys, who join a separate company. There is no seniority within Dragonair, and those within Dragonair who wish to join must resign from KA, and join the bottom of the freighter seniority list (but as captain).The guys who are direct entry F/Os will take for ever to obtain a command, as the existing captains will be able to continue to renew their contracts.They have no seniority in Dragon mainline, as its a separate company.

2) Dragonair management allow the current bunch of Capts/FOs who have made a bid ,to transfer to the freighter.They join in seniority, ie above the direct entry Capts/Fos, as they have been in Dragonair a hell of a lot longer.When the contracts for the direct freighter crew expire, they have to join the Dragonair mainline seniority. If you are a skipper, its likely that you will have to become an f/o in Hong Kong (or on the freighter, I guess), else resign. As f/os, you will be at the bottom of the seniority list anyway(exactly what happened at Cathay).

I would not advise anybody to give up their current job for this contract. At the end of the day, unless a deal is worked out with the Dragonair pilots association, there is no freighter.It will sit on the ground, until a deal is worked out.

Interesting how much money the company is willing to waste training f/os who may will never be used if a deal isnt struck with the mainline. My advice to new joiners, wait until Dragonair have sorted the issue out with the guys already here. The company will otherwise prevail in splitting us into two units, with the associated disarray this will cause.

Yeah ,I've taken out the strong words, not nescessary

[This message has been edited by conairhk (edited 07 April 2001).]

Haggis
7th Apr 2001, 12:34
Lewis - re your question, the permanent contract that f.o's have signed clearly states that they will be on the Dragonair seniority list as from day of joining. If this is not the case then a new contract will have to be offered.

conairhk - how can you seriously expect a pilot who flies an electric airbus to jump into the left seat of a classic and work as a 3 man crew with no previous experience !

crewrest
7th Apr 2001, 13:52
Nice one conairhk, making threats along the lines of 'I know where you live' Charming.

conairhk
7th Apr 2001, 14:16
Haggis, most the guys here have flown the Tristar as well as an assortment of other clockwork types.A good commander is a good commander, it does'nt matter what he flies, thats the easy bit.But its good to know that we're getting quality f/os at least.

mutt
7th Apr 2001, 19:49
I know a number of 747 Captains who have resigned from their present jobs for this contract, could someone therefore explain exactly what is going on? Is this another Atlas/AACS saga?

Mutt. ;(

[This message has been edited by mutt (edited 07 April 2001).]

LimeyAK
7th Apr 2001, 20:31
Gents,

Sounds like someone in MGMT is learning from Atlas/AACS.
If this sort of behavior is allowed to continue in the industry we will have aircraft, no matter what colour or registration, flying around with cheap, marginally qualified crews.
Sounds harsh but is not far from reality.

Cheers, Lak.