PDA

View Full Version : Time from bottle to throttle in HKG

Me Myself
14th Jun 2009, 04:26
I'm sure this topic has been adressed but I can't find anything specific to HKG.
In short, it's getting awfully close to lunch time, I'm flying out late tonight and I feel the need for a malty / fizzy drink with my lunch.
How much time do I need before taking the wheel according to HKG CAA ?

victorc10
14th Jun 2009, 04:43
If your working the same day, I would hope you would be responsible enough to realise that it would not be a good idea at all, regardless of what regulations are in place.

Me Myself
14th Jun 2009, 04:49
Yes, thanks a lot for the tip. I was actually hoping for something a tad more factual as I'm sure there must be differences between our compagny policy and HKG.

parabellum
14th Jun 2009, 06:05
Authorities often won't give a specific number of hours pre flight to abstain from alcohol, they leave that to the companies, (but in India they do and it is twelve hours). What Authorities will put into their Nav Order, as a legal requirement, is that you shall not report for duty impaired by alcohol.

CXChildLabour
14th Jun 2009, 06:57
10 hours, but as some might have noticed, they slipped a change into Vol1 which states 10 hours before Duty Reporting Time now instead of Departure Time....

Me Myself
14th Jun 2009, 07:23
Thanks Cx labour, that's exactly what I was looking for. Our compagny limit is 8 hours before sign on which means that had I stuck to our rules today, I'd be stuffed.
By the way VC10, if the rule says 10 hours before sign on, why shouldn't I have ONE lager with my lunch 10h30 minutes before the time limit ??
Where I come from, we tend to drink with our meals and not drink ourselves into a coma. If I am correct, the amount of time to get down to 0.2 G/L should take about 2 hours at the most.
Anyhoo, be reassured................I had 2 Diet Coke.

oldpax
14th Jun 2009, 07:26
Last year I was working on a job(non aviation)where I started at 0700 hrs every morning,there was a bar for supervisory staff only that closed at 2200 hrsand 2300 hrs at the weekend.Every time I started work I was breathalysed and if I failed I was of the site on the noon transport home1This worked well and in 18 months only a handful were sacked,mainly those who couldnt stand the place!My point is we are all responsible to ourselves and by our actions to others, so do you really need that lunchtime drink?

fly123456
14th Jun 2009, 08:47
If I recall exactly, there's no time line given by the hkcad.
Officially, it says you should not be under the influence of alcool when performing your duty.

mcdude
14th Jun 2009, 13:05
HKCAD AIC 33/03...

"Pilots should not fly for at least 8 hours after taking small amounts
of alcohol and proportionately longer if larger amounts are consumed"

Its quite clear then!!!

mcdude :8

Bedder believeit
14th Jun 2009, 20:48
Hong Kong Air Navigation Orders
Article 49. Page 47 (01/01/09)
"Passengers and crew members not to be under the influences of psychoactive substances"

Para (2): A person shall not, when acting as a member of the crew of any aircraft, or being carried in any aircraft for the purpose of so acting, be under the influence of psychoactive substances to such an extent as to impair his capacity so to act. (L.N. 77 of 2008).

Para (3): A holder of a licence granted under this order authorizing the holder to act as a member of a crew of an aircraft shall not engage in the use of any psychoactive substances in any way that-
(a) Constitutes a direct hazard to the holder or endangers the lives, health or welfare of others; or
(b) causes or worsens an occupational, social, physical or mental problem or disorder of the holder. (L.N. 77 of 2008)

Article 98 Page 78
"Interpretation"

"Psychoactive substances" means alcohol, opioids, cannabinoids, sedatives, hypnotics, cocaine or other psychostimulants, hallucinogens, or volatile solvents, but does not include coffee and tobacco; (L.N. 77 of 2008)

So that's the legal requirement Me Myself as per the ANO's. Your company may have different requirements added on, however you addressed your query to HKG CAA (sic). By the look of the latter part of the "definition" even glue and petrol sniffing are taboo. Sort of takes the fun out of it. By the way, the same wording to the ANO's applies to Air traffic controllers, also.

flyingkiwi
15th Jun 2009, 04:17
Old Pax you are looking at this very 2 dimensionly, i agree with the guys saying what is the difference between having a drink after dinner with an early departure to having a lunch time drink with a late night departure, both are the same legally, because you are having a lunch time drink doesnt mean your a raging alcoholic, you may be on a reversed time zone or just enjoying a wine or cold beer with lunch on a hot day. As long as the 10hrs (or local authority restriction) is observed whats the problem?

Max Reheat
15th Jun 2009, 05:48
If you are doing a late night ULH and are expecting to do the first half in the seat, then there is a good reason for an afternoon nap. That wee liquid sleeping pill might just do the trick. Now you report for duty beyond the witching hour and fully rested for the impending duty. Providing no rules are broken, there's no problem.

Me Myself
15th Jun 2009, 07:25
Thanks for the AO s.
Some of the answers sound like an AA meeting and I frankly I don't need the patronizing.
No, having a lager with your lunch when you're flying 10 hours later, isn't going to put yourself under the influence.
Drinking as much as you can before the clock starts ticking however smells like a lot of trouble.