PDA

View Full Version : FI Renewal SEP/TMG?

Chinchilla.612
13th Jun 2009, 23:36
Here's a question for someone with more knowledge than me.....

I have read through Lasors, and used the search function on here, but have not found the answer to my query (unless I'm just tired and it's actually been right in front of me the whole time!).

As Lasors groups SEP and TMG together for the flight experience requirement for revalidating both ratings I am wondering how far this grouping extends. For instance as an FI(A) with valid SEP and TMG ratings can instruction be given on both?

To me, Lasors suggests yes, since the first privilege is described as "a. the issue of the PPL(A) and class and type ratings for single-engine aeroplanes;" Would TMG not be included in "single engine aeroplanes" as the description does not specify SEP?

My next thought then is when doing an FI renewal, does the test have to be conducted in an SEP or can it be flown in a TMG? Lasors states merely that for FI(A) renewal you must "c. Pass a FI (A) proficiency check" but does not specify that it must be in an SEP (with the exception of CFS standardisation check flights).

Any thoughts or previous experience of this greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chinchilla.

Whopity
14th Jun 2009, 06:23
For instance as an FI(A) with valid SEP and TMG ratings can instruction be given on both? Yes, JAR-FCL 1.330The privileges of the holder of a FI(A) rating
for restrictions see JAR–FCL 1.325) are to
conduct flight instruction for:
(a) the issue of the PPL(A) and class and
type ratings for single-engine aeroplanes; SEP and TMG are both Classes of Single Engine aeroplane.

As an FI your rating can be revalidated/renewed in any class of aeroplane in which you are qualified to instruct.

The TMG may be more difficult to arrange, as very few FIEs are qualified on the TMG.

Chinchilla.612
14th Jun 2009, 09:22
Whopity,

Thanks for that. I was kinda hoping you might answer that one, as you seem to have a very good understanding of all the rules and regs :ok:

Next question of course......anyone know an FI(E) qualified to test on TMG?

Cheers,

Chinchilla.

Whopity
14th Jun 2009, 10:36
Only one but he has lost his medical!

Chinchilla.612
14th Jun 2009, 11:26
Ah, well that is never a good thing!

Keygrip
14th Jun 2009, 17:42
Bet they still get their twelve grand though.

Frelon
16th Jun 2009, 08:45
....and following on from this thread if I renew my TMG rating with a pass in a skills test (not having done the 12 hours in second year of licence) does this automatically validate my SEP rating (also lapsed)?

.....and does the TMG rating allow me to fly self launching motor gliders with retractable engine/propellor (Stemme , PIK20E type)??

Many thanks.

Whopity
16th Jun 2009, 19:07
if I renew my TMG rating with a pass in a skills test (not having done the 12 hours in second year of licence) does this automatically validate my SEP rating (also lapsed)?No, you will have to renew the SEP by a separate Skill Test, and then once both are valid, you will be able to revalidate both on either Class.
.....and does the TMG rating allow me to fly self launching motor gliders with retractable engine/propellor (Stemme , PIK20E type)??Yes,
JAR-FCL allows the holders of a TMG rating to operate Motor Gliders as defined nationally.

Frelon
17th Jun 2009, 08:14
Thanks Whopity, that is what I thought, but was recently advised differently!