PDA

View Full Version : CHC Hybrid Maintenance

sox6
13th Jun 2009, 15:27
Am I right to be concerned?

As for the maintenance standards of European operations, Swoboda (vice-president of Technical Services) says they are based on European Aviation Safety Agency rules, "but we're trying to move them toward the hybrid EASA and Transport Canada standards".

When CHC does not simply launch its own local operator, it coaches established companies after acquiring them. "They're getting that global best practices model," he says. "We've created a system designed to flex to new regulatory systems."

Full story - CHC: Canada's helicopter heavyweight (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/06/12/327835/chc-canadas-helicopter-heavyweight.html)

Um... lifting...
13th Jun 2009, 18:13
I don't see why. I think you may be drawing a conclusion that isn't borne out by the text of the article nor by CHC's operating philosophy.

CHC's goal is, where possible, standardization across all operations corporate-wide for numerous reasons, to include economies of scale and rationalization of supply chains.

When EASA and TC regulations differ, CHC will utilize the more restrictive, not the less, just as would be done where a company OM is more restrictive than local operating regulations (or vice-versa). This would seem to me to mean in practice that a component overhauled at one of CHC's facilities can legally be utilized on any aircraft in the CHC fleet, regardless of the registry of the aircraft and country of operation. This can help optimize levels of inventory, reducing inventory holding costs and other costs. I don't see anything in that article that would indicate the quality level of maintenance would decrease.

SpareParts
13th Jun 2009, 18:48
UL is correct. CHC standards are mostly based on the strictest standards to comply with. Sometimes the standards are stricter than required by any transport authority because also remember they don't just answer to multiple country authorities but the oil companies as well. Shell for example has a lot of regs which do increase personal and aircraft safety and prevent accidents from happening. and its the best business practice to apply standards company and aircraft wide.

zalt
13th Jun 2009, 18:58
Canadian standards - don't make me laugth! TC is a joke.

And where do CHC fly for Shell?

leading edge
14th Jun 2009, 00:41
Zalt

Miri

Um... lifting...
14th Jun 2009, 01:11
and Kaz... don't know about the Philippines...

DECUFAULT
15th Jun 2009, 03:32
A correction required...CHC do not have any contract with Shell in Miri

L2driver
15th Jun 2009, 04:19
Norway for many years

twisted wrench
15th Jun 2009, 15:03
Decu fault:

You might be playing with words on the Miri ops contract but Shell is who the S92's, S76 C++'s and soon to be the 225's all operate for and all the aircraft belong to CHC Global.

Add the Philippines to and has been since 2000.

SpareParts
15th Jun 2009, 16:47
ZALT

Can you elaborate more why TC is a joke? Sounds like your just bitter about something that has happened to you :=

Outwest
15th Jun 2009, 23:50
and all the aircraft belong to CHC Global.

To be correct: all the aircraft belong to Heli-One

unstable load
16th Jun 2009, 00:45
To be correct: all the aircraft belong to Heli-One

Which in turn is owned by...........

CHC, of course.

DECUFAULT
16th Jun 2009, 01:22
No play on words..CHC do not have any contracts with Shell in Miri..they do not have a AOC in Malaysia.They have a technical agreement with Awan to supply aircraft and men power but that's all about to change

SpareParts
16th Jun 2009, 02:29
OK OK I dont think it matters if CHC has a contract or arrangement because either way my original point is that their maintenance practices at these bases are STRONGLY influenced by the costumers LIKE SHELL. The Aircraft are CHC operated and maintained and thats all that matters. There is no point argueing because i have been at bases WHILE BEING AUDITED BY SHELL so therefor at bases like this maintenance has to be done to the local aviation authorties standards, Transport canadas standards aswell if they are canadian aircraft and THE COSTUMER which at some bases are SHELL. (dont know why it turned into such a debate)

CHC is also not unique in this practice because obviously there are many airline and Helicopter opertations (Bristow for example) that operate throughout the world and all these companys know the most efficient way to operate is to take the highest standard you have to operate at and apply it company wide and maybe even make it a higher standard than that. (obviously there are unique situations this cant always apply)

BedakSrewet
16th Jun 2009, 07:58
OK girls, back to work...:ugh:

Super 61
16th Jun 2009, 21:09
"No play on words..CHC do not have any contracts with Shell in Miri..they do not have a AOC in Malaysia.They have a technical agreement with Awan to supply aircraft and men power but that's all about to change"

What's about to change ? Awan buying their own aircraft, yes. CHC will continue to provide manpower, tech support, training, etc for some time. Not much changing.

twisted wrench
17th Jun 2009, 17:51
Thanks Super 61 I was waiting for you to jump in and set the record straight about Miri ops.

Talk about getting right from the horses mouth!

DECUFAULT
18th Jun 2009, 06:06
Lets wait and see super 61...personaly I think there are large gaps in CHC maintenance. I would like an engineer to look at my aircraft when I return to base, not just down load the vxp put fuel in it and expect me to sign for a turn-around check.

ECE
18th Jun 2009, 11:44
Lets wait and see super 61...personaly I think there are large gaps in CHC maintenance. I would like an engineer to look at my aircraft when I return to base, not just down load the vxp put fuel in it and expect me to sign for a turn-around check.

Im sure if you ask one of the engineers nicely they might even fly it for you, obviously once they have fluffed your pillows, turned the tv onto the right channel and made you a cuppa tea.:ugh:

unstable load
18th Jun 2009, 12:35
I would like an engineer to look at my aircraft when I return to base, not just down load the vxp put fuel in it and expect me to sign for a turn-around check.

Is this between flights or after the last flight when you have rushed off to the bus to get back to the hotel for sundowners?

I can't speak for wherever you are, but where I work we do the turnaround for the next flight and put fuel in for you, but we leave the VXP till after the last flight, that's probably why you don't get to see us doing much, you not being there and all.