PDA

View Full Version : Is Gulf Air selling their identity?

Radar Contact
13th Jun 2009, 14:27
http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/photos/Regional.jpg

The management of Regional Paraguaya is apparently very impressed by the current Gulf Air livery it plans to add very similar to its fleet of four Boeing 737-200s.

--

With the news of Gulf Air getting a completely new corporate identity, looks like selling the old one would generate money.
Credit; Skyliner - aviation news & more (http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main?LC=nav2&picid=5787)

Mike.Park
13th Jun 2009, 17:55
Wait so let me get this straight - Gulf Air are holding on their brand name, but ditching their colours and logo?

SubsonicMortal
13th Jun 2009, 19:23
Unbelieeeevable.....

Not Gulfair CEO
13th Jun 2009, 20:11
Hogi sold all the spare parts and the assets so the only remaings are:

767 simulator
leave balance for cabin crew and pilots
The Brand Logo

767 simulator still up for grab.just keep looking on Ebays
Almost forgot, there are few model aircrafts as well up for sale in our exacutive offices. Hurry.....

Dont miss out on our closing down sale

In such way that...
13th Jun 2009, 20:12
What a joke! In Paraguay!!!!!

:}

tmax
13th Jun 2009, 21:02
Guys, RELAX!! It is a Strategic Code Share with them! We will be the first GCC airline with direct route or via Zurich (Latest rumour)on our B797 in 2030.
Bahrain vision 2030.RELAX

Radar Contact
13th Jun 2009, 21:51
Selling 2 b767's for 66,000,000$ is not something I would call smart. AFAIK, 1 Airbus A320 would be around 70-80 Million $

Mike.Park
13th Jun 2009, 22:23
Bahrain vision 2030

I don't buy into all that 2030 nonsense. It's just another ploy to buy time.

Not Gulfair CEO
13th Jun 2009, 23:42
Hey Radar if your Number of Zeros are correct then This must be the smartest deal Gulf air ever made.

boiler
14th Jun 2009, 03:59
Selling 2 b767's for 66,000,000$ is not something I would call smart.

It isn't. The newspaper article mentioned there were two buyers, one offered $38M, the other $28M for the two aircraft. The combined amount is $66M and I am still wondering why the hell they added the two numbers in the first place.

Radar Contact
14th Jun 2009, 04:25
Boiler, I just checked the article - you are right. Sorry guys, the offer is 38 Million $ from Russian Transaero airlines and 28 Million $ from Bellview.

Just sad really

Desert Diner
14th Jun 2009, 10:04
Were these the 767s that were temporarily grounded for corrosion inspections?

I would have thought that getting anything for them would have been a good deal.

boiler
14th Jun 2009, 11:23
There was an article in one of the Arabic newspapers saying that GF got offers for $66M for the two aircraft. For some reason they added the two offers together showing us yet again how accurate (misleading) they can be.

Radar Contact
15th Jun 2009, 05:56
@olbie; check your PM

Che Guevara
15th Jun 2009, 08:50
The name and the falcon will stay but we should have a new livery by the end of this year.

I can't wait to see the white bird on the red tail or vice versa...
or perhaps this alongside the Golden Falcon. :rolleyes:
http://www.google.ie/images?q=tbn:F0ZCgJzo9XU9WM::www.northsmithfieldri.com/images/nodrinking-3.gif (http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.northsmithfieldri.com/images/nodrinking-3.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.northsmithfieldri.com/news.htm&h=250&w=167&sz=9&tbnid=F0ZCgJzo9XU9WM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=74&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dno%2Bdrinking%2Bsigns&hl=en-GB&usg=__eUWco9IdXTwGg1u9ignqLRApm1c=&ei=Mgk2SprjCorMjAfjrZGNCg&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=3&ct=image)

But seriously, the entire industry is cutting back and losing money and GF in their infinite wisdom are going to 're-brand' for millions...what am I missing here, apart from the opportunity to make some money?
What exactly is wrong with their current livery? Obviously someone in Paraquay likes it!

Mike.Park
15th Jun 2009, 09:26
Aesthetically there is nothing wrong with GF's livery or logo.

It's the words and thoughts which come to mind which is the problem :}

What comes to mind when you see Gulf Air's logo?

Che Guevara
15th Jun 2009, 09:50
Surely the name itself would be far more disparaging than the livery at this point?

What comes to mind when you see Gulf Air's logo?

Personally, I see a unique and attractive livery. The uniqueness of course is in doubt now that Paraquay has entered the equation. ;)

the observer
16th Jun 2009, 18:17
GF should proceed with a legal case against this airline.... they can make good money now days.

Che Guevara
16th Jun 2009, 19:11
Maybe they should, but who is to say that perhaps someone sold the livery...
Secondly, what chance do you think Gulf Air would have of winning a law suit in Paraquay..:=

Mike.Park
16th Jun 2009, 19:19
For around 10 years or so, Gulf Air ignored the fact that a bogus company called "Gulf Air Fresheners" was using the domain name GulfAir.com

WELCO
17th Jun 2009, 07:28
For around 10 years or so, Gulf Air ignored the fact that a bogus company called "Gulf Air Fresheners" was using the domain name GulfAir.com

Hey Mike, what do you do exactly?!! a freelance journalist? or may be a Historian?! :rolleyes:

Mephistopheles
17th Jun 2009, 12:49
I believe that senior management are aware of the theft of the livery but let's see what happens.

Regarding the domain name Gulfair.com, it took years of legal wrangling to get it from the concerned parties.

Mike.Park
28th Jun 2009, 21:27
The airline is expected to make a number of major announcements regarding its re-branding during the week long event.

What ever happened to the big announcement about rebranding? The paris air show has now past and I've not heard anything about them rebranding! :bored:

Desert Diner
28th Jun 2009, 21:30
Nothing new in the world of GF

Flygulfair
29th Jun 2009, 00:05
Couldn't Gf just hold on the color scheme, I mean like copyright it? Trademark it?

I am sure there is a way around them not having there Idienity stolen.

I am sure they are doing something about it though.

boiler
29th Jun 2009, 11:18
Gulf Air investigates as Paraguayan carrier shows off near-identical livery (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/06/29/328960/gulf-air-investigates-as-paraguayan-carrier-shows-off-near-identical-livery.html)

Gulf Air investigates as Paraguayan carrier shows off near-identical livery
By David Kaminski-Morrow

Middle Eastern carrier Gulf Air is denying that it has entered any arrangement with Regional Paraguaya despite the South American carrier's marketing a virtually-identical livery on its Internet site.

Regional Paraguaya has been displaying images of Boeing 737-200 aircraft in gold and blue colours, with a falcon logo and lettering which closely resemble those on Bahrain-based Gulf Air's own scheme.

Gulf Air chief executive Bjorn Naf tells Flightglobal premium sister publication Air Transport Intelligence that it "absolutely" did not sanction any use of the livery by the Paraguayan airline. "Only the feet of the falcon are missing," he says, adding that lawyers for Gulf Air are studying the matter.
While Naf states that Gulf Air is intending to change its livery as part of its latest strategy, he insists there has been no agreement to sell the rights to the current scheme, which was created by design company Landor.

Regional Paraguaya could not immediately be reached to comment. The relatively young airline is based in Asuncion and is building a network of routes to major cities across South America.

Its current livery is a simple scheme comprising an all-white fuselage and the blue-and-red Regional Paraguaya bird motif on the fin.

Mike.Park
29th Jun 2009, 12:05
At last! Gulf Air have broken the silence!

Naf states that Gulf Air is intending to change its livery as part of its latest strategy, he insists there has been no agreement to sell the rights to the current scheme, which was created by design company Landor.
I just can't wait to see what the new livery is going to be!

Trader
29th Jun 2009, 12:15
Without a doubt the GF livery is the nicest of any airline. Change the inside etc etc but leave the paint job!!!!!!

Flygulfair
29th Jun 2009, 12:58
Have any of you noticed the little indian flag in one of the pictures? :ugh:

Capt Hair Y Balls
29th Jun 2009, 14:48
Someone is going to reap the rewards again from another new paint scheme. Any idea boys what it costs to change the livery on the whole fleet as well as all the logos on printed material........

MILIONS

Nothing ever changes, the milking of GF continues

ODMEA
30th Jun 2009, 04:31
Change the blo**y cabins, seats and IFE.....these guys are airheads.:ugh::eek:

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with livery/logo. :bored::rolleyes:

Jenniferr
30th Jun 2009, 11:37
I'm moving to the arabian gulf (bahrain dubai etc0 i would like to know more about gulf air .trying to join the airline .I think you guys are kind of unhappy?

Jenniferr
30th Jun 2009, 13:55
well soem peaple can be thankless i have read alot about the airline!to bad its still no compatition against etihad etc.. peaple you should cheer up here!

uglyraedII
8th Jul 2009, 11:10
hehehee.. well air head is kinda my word any way I like the golden livery of the airline it makes it look luxurious and unique.But they really need to change the cabin i hope theyll change it before the air show becouse thousands of peaple would fly the airline and it will go back from being a 3 star airline to a 2 star!(it was a 4 star airline last year) thats gulf air for u!!!!!!!!!!:ok:

Panama Jack
8th Jul 2009, 13:21
Hey, there are a few other nice pictures on the site too:

http://www.regionalparaguaya.com.py/imagenes/azafata.jpg

Flygulfair, I don't know what the color settings are on your monitor but I think it could well be a Paraguayan flag.

http://www.strive4impact.com/callingadvice_files/flags/cheap-calling-to-paraguay-flag.jpg

Flygulfair
8th Jul 2009, 14:59
There website is down now! :D

I am sure they will pack up and run now.

uglyraedII
8th Jul 2009, 22:00
"nice one theyl pack and run!" does any one have any info about the new GF cabin????????????????????????????????????????????? GF seriously needs it specially in the old 340s!!!!!!!!!

Radar Contact
9th Jul 2009, 10:31
@uglyraedII; There is a new cabin onboard KJ - It's not the Piccari one but still it looks better ;)

WELCO
9th Jul 2009, 11:00
Gulf Daily News » Local News » Airline 'copycat' (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/ArchiveNewsDetails.aspx?date=07/08/2009&storyid=255027)

It's all over I guess!

6000PIC
9th Jul 2009, 11:23
A new " rebranding " with an associated new livery plays into the EGOS of these management types who mistakenly believe that the chance of winning an award from some corrupt travel magazine ( for this and that fancy new " brand " ... ha ha ha ) , who takes some baksheesh from GF as part of an advertising campaign will lead to more sales , free PR blah blah , what a joke. It`s all quid pro quo and great ideas but it`ll do nothing to help the bottom line , nothing about putting more bums in seats , and nothing about making GF passengers feel good about choosing to fly with them. Fix the airline from the inside out , not the outside in... buncha wackos.

Phantom Driver
9th Jul 2009, 15:38
Fix the airline from the inside out , not the outside in... That could take a while. I'm sure JH is having a good laugh right now about all this, being the original instigator of the "new" logo back then. Remember the old saying about "imitation being the best form of flattery" (or something like that)?

On the other hand, I have a feeling those guys in Paraguay have probably never heard of Gulf Air and it's designs. Lawsuits? Waste of time and good money; better spent getting the house in order.

Panama Jack
10th Jul 2009, 15:27
A look at the Landor & Associates website is an interesting way to spend a half hour of surfing. Landor was unbeknownst to me previously, but I can't say the same about the products they have been involved in!

Some interesting stuff about their involvment in the airline industry and the Gulf Air rebranding:
http://www.landor.com/?do=ourwork.by_industry&industryid=1

Also, an interesting 9 minute video of an interview (in 1977) of the company's founder:
http://www.landor.com/index.cfm?do=aboutus.walterlandorvideo&source=home

uglyraedII
10th Jul 2009, 21:47
I found something on one of the website about the gulf airs re branding stuff like a month ago .Hence its not an ignored plane.Well it stated that GFs cabin will have the best technologyAnd it will not only put GF in track again but the other airlines will "envy" the new seats .Ill post the article here as soon as i find it!

uglyraedII
13th Jul 2009, 22:29
does any one here have any info about the new cabin??
why is this place soo dead?

Mike.Park
14th Jul 2009, 07:30
why is this place soo dead?

It died the minute you walked into the room :}

Mike.Park
14th Jul 2009, 09:49
Well it's an ongoing issue.

They stole GF's livery - so we're waiting to hear if Gulf Air plan to take legal action

uglyraedII
14th Jul 2009, 12:16
very funny mike :=:* any way i dont think GF is doing any thing at the moment.Well Gf should get the new cabin before the airshow otherwise GF would be humiliated ! becouse lots of peaple will be intrested in that airline! Eventually peaple will be disappointed (again) i dont know i guess the new CEO is bad as Andre Dose!but the management will like him becouse he is "arabic speaking":rolleyes:if that what it takes to qualify as a CEO i could be 1!

Radar Contact
14th Jul 2009, 16:43
@UglyraedII: Your nickname really describes you best, learn some manners then you are welcomed to post here and study a thing or two about aviation and airline operations before entering here and blabbing away on all the forums, you, my friend deserve the title "most annoying user on PPRuNe". CONGRATULATIONS! :ok:

Why are you targeting Gulf Air? 15 posts all trying to talk about Gulf Air and you are not even from Bahrain! .. The hell you care about GF?

boiler
14th Jul 2009, 17:16
you, my friend deserve the title "most annoying user on PPRuNe".
Amen to that!!

uglyraedII
14th Jul 2009, 20:59
you my friend really need to know more about me! I am bahrain! i have been following up what ever happened in gulf air ever since i was 9!(before that i was just into airplanes)Thank you for the award! i award you all the most bored/threatened people here! what ever i say you just have to try to lower me because ur threatened (mostly by my age)
I cant do any thing about it can I?
That was a retorical question.For dummys such as ur self u dont have to answer that! ok now lets get back to the topic

Jenniferr
14th Jul 2009, 21:41
Your funny! well id give you the most funnest person here!:ok:
well i don think its your age ! Its your looks!:}
Rock on!
i love your arguements!:D
And peaple hes just a kid let him do what he wants.I see ambition in him!

boiler
15th Jul 2009, 04:05
It has nothing to do with your age. It is your childish manner that gets to me. Either have something to say in a dignified and intelligent matter or just keep your mouth shut.

budgetbudgie
15th Jul 2009, 07:44
is there not a "kiddy-wanna-be" forum where uglyraed(ll) can go and play on??:ugh:

uglyraedII
15th Jul 2009, 13:24
in other words you guys are threatened by me.
any who........... you gotta go out and get some fresh air! I guess you have some kind of umm disorder?(rhetorical aka don't answer that)

Radar Contact
15th Jul 2009, 19:33
in other words you guys are threatened by me.

Yes of course, we are threatned by a 17 year old kid who has ATPL with 6000 hours and A340 type rating / tri - If you even know what that means..

I thought you were banned before, who on earth allowed you back here? I will be PM'ing EGGW regarding the matter so they can find out more...

uglyraedII
16th Jul 2009, 16:29
just to make you feel better i didnt understand the 6000 thingi.
Any way do what you shall .
i love the attention im getting:} wasnt the forum about GF?

uglyraedII
17th Jul 2009, 16:05
oh now i got what you said! you just made it seem complicated :ok:

Jenniferr
17th Jul 2009, 16:11
hahahhaha....their threatened by you! :O i guess they are! funny they kicked you out. theyr just trying make themselves feel supirior. funny you 17 .You know aloooooooooooooooooot about GF for a 17 year old!

Qatar ATC
17th Jul 2009, 16:12
Uglyraed; go ******* drop dead or something. just go **** your mom or something because you are not welcomed here :)

uglyraedII
18th Jul 2009, 14:31
well thank you i guess..

uglyraedII
23rd Jul 2009, 05:40
A PARAGUAYAN airline threatened with legal action for allegedly copying the livery of Gulf Air has apparently agreed to scrap its controversial branding. -based Regional Paraguaya, the new flag carrier of Paraguay had announced on its website this month that it was planning to replace its red and white colour scheme with a new design.
It shared Gulf Air's gold and white colourings, the purple diagonal on the craft's midriff and golden falcon on the trail - minus talons and one of its wings.
The GDN earlier reported that Gulf Air was considering legal action to protect its commercial property.
But a spokeswoman has now confirmed that after extended talks with the Paraguayan airline, officials were confident that issue would be resolved.
"We have entered a dialogue with Regional Paraguaya and as a result of that discussion we are confident that they are taking appropriate measures to remedy the situation," she said.
Although initial reports had suggested that Regional Paraguaya had already painted one aircraft with the livery and another was awaiting delivery from Lima in Peru, the spokeswoman confirmed that the airline had complied fully with Gulf Air's requests.
"We will continue to monitor the situation," she said.
"Regional Paraguaya has assured us that no aircraft bearing the livery in question have flown commercially and that other steps are being taken by them to desist breaching Gulf Air's Intellectual Property Rights."
Officially starting its operations last year with a series of chartered services, Regional Paraguaya operates a fleet of two Boeing 737s, with plans to expand to four airlines in the near future.
It provides services for up to 13 cities in nine South American countries.
When the GDN tried to contact the airline, its listed phone number was not accessible and its website was also not functioning properly.
Gulf Air's existing insignia was introduced in 2003 after the airline struck a deal with San Francisco-based design agency Landor Associates.
In 2006, the UK-based Design Business Association selected Gulf Air as the recipient of its 2006 Design Effectiveness Award in the corporate/brand identity category following the re-branding, recognising the airline's dramatic turnaround with the successful implementation of Project Falcon.
Gulf Air plans to introduce a new livery next year as part of a wider campaign to re-brand the firm.
This re-branding also includes the appointment of Gulf Air's new chief executive officer Samer Majali, who will take control over the next few months.
The former head of airline Royal Jordanian replaced under-siege former boss Bjšrn NŠf at the start of the month after a long-running campaign by Bahrain's MPs.
Until Mr Majali takes official control of the airline, Gulf Air chairman and Bahrain Mumtalakat Hold-ing Company chief executive officer Talal Al Zain will temporarily manage the airline in the role of executive chairman.
The airline also plans to extend its fleet, which at present stands at 34.

uglyraedII
23rd Jul 2009, 06:56
funny! the Paraguay airline saw it coming.it cant be a coincident!

Mike.Park
23rd Jul 2009, 08:08
I hope they drop the fake gold colour.

boiler
23rd Jul 2009, 12:20
GF is not changing its livery. Just a very 'minor' modification and that is all.

uglyraedII
23rd Jul 2009, 20:07
um how do u know that? im pretty sure their changing their livery! then why does wikipedia say that they are redesigning theyr logo! i can give you 3 articles referring to the "product enhancement" plans!

uglyraedII
23rd Jul 2009, 20:18
17 julyl, 2008 In-flight redesign for Gulf Air
Gulf Air is to redesign all of its aircraft interiors, livery, uniforms and passenger lounges.

The airline has appointed London and Singapore-based designers James Park Associates to carry out the redesign, which will coincide with an expansion and updating of Gulf Air’s fleet.

James Park Associates also designed Singapore Airlines' new business class seat on the Airbus A380 aircraft and the first and business class seats on board its Boeing 777-300ER fleet.

Other projects have included the Venice-Simplon Orient Express, the Eastern and Oriental Express, the Royal Scotsman, and the Taj Exotica Resort and Spa in Mauritius and the Maldives.

The investment also includes changes to the in-flight entertainment systems.

By Bev Fearis

uglyraedII
23rd Jul 2009, 20:22
Bahrain-based airline Gulf Air is to undergo a major revamp, with aircraft interiors, livery, uniforms and lounges all due to be redesigned.
The airline has gone through some tricky times recently (see online news April 19, 2007 (http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/gulf-air-to-downsize)) with the rapid expansion of other UAE carriers such as Emirates, Qatar and Etihad. But the news that it is to revamp its exisiting fleet, alongside US$6 billion worth of orders for the delayed Boeing 787 Dreamliner, suggests the airline is determined to regain market share.
Gulf Air says it aims to become “the carrier of choice” and has contracted high-end design consultants James Park Associates (JPA) to carry out all aspects of the redesign. JPA has carved a niche for itself in aircraft interior design in recent years, winning competitions to design the business class seating on Singapore Airline’s A380s, as well as the business and first class product on the carrier’s 777-300 ER aircraft.
The exact details of the Gulf Air revamp have yet to be released, but speaking to Business Traveller, James Park said that it would include the seating product. Given that its closest rivals all now offer, or are in the process of fitting fully-flat beds in business class, it would seem likely that Gulf Air will look to follow suit.
Park said that the airline’s current brand had worked for them for some time, and that JPA would look to build on it, creating a strong brand image which clearly differentiated Gulf Air from the competition. The redesign process is expected to take between 18 months and two years.
Park said: “We are starting out on a market research programme which I hope will give us some pointers. It [Gulf Air] is an international airline and an international business, but one that clearly needs to relate to Bahrain as the owner.”
He added that where required by the client, JPA would be involved in not only the design but also the mechanics of any new seating product.
Park said: “We differentiate ourselves from most other design companies in this respect because we go quite a long way with the mechanical aspects of the chairs, so we’ll develop both the functions of the seat and its styling, as well as the beginning stages of the engineering, so we can hand to the vendor a fairly comprehensive set of information.”
JPA is also currently working on the US$100 million renovation of the Pierre hotel in New York, part of the Taj Hotels group, and Park recognised the different challenges posed by designing interiors for an aircraft as opposed to a five-star hotel.
Park said: “With an aircraft project we have a lot of safety issues that we have to observe. The other issue, of course, is that we are working with a very restricted space, so what we’re trying to do is offer as much amenity and comfort as possible within a very small area. There is a lot more freedom within a hotel, and there’s a different level of theatre or poetry involved within the spaces, but we like to think that there’s some level of relationship between them, and that the level of experience is seamless all the way through.”
JPA will no doubt draw from the experience of designing the new seating for SIA, a product which Park says he is very happy with. He said: “I think it’s a classic seat and I’m very satisfied with the outcome of it. I hope and expect it to satisfy SIA’s needs for quite a long time. It’s a classic design that is not going to go out of style – it will always be accepted as a good seat.”
[B]Im tierd of posting these articles!:{

boiler
24th Jul 2009, 06:28
um how do u know that?
Because I have inside info and you don't, idiot! Some of the articles are already outdated.

uglyraedII
24th Jul 2009, 10:15
I know that the articles are an year old! but i read an article on the man who was responsible or CEO of the company ..He made a reference about Gulf airs new livery and stuff!.And i could insult myself better than you do:ok: