PDA

View Full Version : PVR waiting times

caddafi
12th Jun 2009, 21:21
I'm looking for any helpful info at all please. I've been offered a job with a company working abroad, and currently PVR times are 12 months for my trade. Is there anyway of getting out of the RAF earlier so that I could take the job?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

struggle
12th Jun 2009, 21:44
Check your Inbox.

Struggle

mrmrsmith
12th Jun 2009, 22:40
Get caught shagging you CO's wife, should work in getting out pretty quick, unless you in a trade groupwhen they won't let you go no matter what i.e. tg 14 int

Adam Nams
13th Jun 2009, 00:11
I will start by saying that I left the mob just over two years ago - so things may have changed.

Firstly, go to local resettlement office and find out your entitlement to resettlement leave.
You may be able to claim a 'work experience placement' with your overseas employer (I did :ok: ).
How much annual leave do you have left?

It was surprising just how much time all of this added up to (many months in my case)
Also, speak to your boss - would he be willing to gap your post?
Talk to your desk officer. I had a very sympathetic one who was most helpful.
Will the overseas employer be willing to hold the job open for a few months? If they really want you, then they will I am sure.

Above all, don't take "no" for an answer. Best of luck.

Tiger_mate
13th Jun 2009, 06:55
If PVR is again being discussed on Pprune, the credit crunch must soon be over. To the point:

Age 50 or 30 years service (whichever comes first) about 6 months which with resettlement leave pretty much means next week.

Age 55+, get someone else to switch off your computer whilst walking cause your late already.

You are age 24 according to profile, and if I may be so rude as to assume you joined at 18 and took 2 years to make productive service. This means that after the Queens investment in you she has had 4 years which may well be a single tour.

I think that you can do the MP, kick and scream, threatening letters thing all day, but with those stats they will make you do the 12 months notice. Furthermore if you reply with attitude it could be somewhere really unpleasant. That said, once you have PVR'd they cannot give you a subsequent OOA. (Although if warned OOA before PVR admin, they can)

Pontius Navigator
13th Jun 2009, 08:49
You are age 24 according to profile, and if I may be so rude as to assume you joined at 18 and took 2 years to make productive service. This means that after the Queens investment in you she has had 4 years which may well be a single tour.

I think that you can do the MP, kick and scream, threatening letters thing all day, but with those stats they will make you do the 12 months notice. Furthermore if you reply with attitude it could be somewhere really unpleasant. That said, once you have PVR'd they cannot give you a subsequent OOA. (Although if warned OOA before PVR admin, they can)

What I thought too. Indeed I suspect rather more here than meets the eye. You don't get 'offered a job' at 24 unless you were actively seeking. You would need to be very, very good to be offered a job at first request.

So, what are these magic skill sets that you must possess?

Cabe LeCutter
14th Jun 2009, 00:40
Tiger Mate,
Your comment about post age 55 is, I am assured by manning, an urban myth. I have recently deserted the sinking ship post 55 point having extended to 58. I was informed by manning that it was the same 6 months service as 50 - 55.

Caddafi
I was very lucky and had a sympathetic boss who agreed to gap my post so managed to get out when I wanted. The annual, terminal and resettlement leave all added up very nicely; I agree with Adam Nams speak to the Resettlement Officer if you can find one, mine had resigned. Mmmm seems to be a trend here.

Heads down, look out for the flack

ScufferEng
16th Jun 2009, 15:58
I was on for 55 and came out last year at 19 year point. 12 mths PVR also for my trade but due to a very understanding boss AND A WRITTEN JOB OFFER was able to go 7 months early. imperative to get boss on your side:D

Could be the last?
16th Jun 2009, 18:57
1. So what is the deal if a Phase 2 trainee decides to leave before completing the course?

2. What is his/her return of service?

3. Who decides how long the PVR time is?

4. If they have to 'hold' for 2 years can they be deployed?

Just asking:ok:

Seymour Belvoir
17th Jun 2009, 18:38
I hit the PVR button on JPA last almost 2 weeks ago and emailed my desky the same day. No reply yet. Nothing. Not even an automated 'Up Yours' from JPA.....mmmm.

Sierra Hotel
17th Jun 2009, 19:24
One of the RAF careers info sheets i was reading says they must let you leave if you get pregnant....

minigundiplomat
17th Jun 2009, 21:04
Far simpler to join a political party or announce you are standing as an independant candidate at the general election. Make as much noise as you can about Westminster needing the military touch to clean up sleaze, and you will be out faster than you can sign your name on a contract with your new employer.

QR's are your friend.

Willard Whyte
18th Jun 2009, 08:44
Does it have to be a General Election? I think there's a by-election coming up in Scotland soon (Glasgow North East).

Just checked, it's due September.

edit: Norwich North is probably going to be late July

cazatou
18th Jun 2009, 11:59
A Bye Election has proved quite sufficient in the past - trouble at the moment is that you might just win if the Electorate decide to have someone who has put their life on the line for their Country; rather than someone who will play the expenses game!!

Once A Brat
18th Jun 2009, 12:54
Cabe
"Your comment about post age 55 is, I am assured by manning, an urban myth. I have recently deserted the sinking ship post 55 point having extended to 58. I was informed by manning that it was the same 6 months service as 50 - 55."

Service past 55 is usually a pretty personal thing, with conditions specific to the individual......................however, it used to be that PMA (as was)had give you 6 months notice but you only had to give them 3!

How'd I know, well many years ago as a JO in SM**, I watched my Gp Capt threaten the on-continuance WO that he'd have PMA give him 6 months notice if he didn't stop being obstructive (ok, realistic). The Gp Capt soon shut when the WO replied that he only had to give 3 months and pulled out the paperwork to prove it! This would have a left a critical post gapped at a very inopportune time (for the Gp Capts career aspirations if nothing else), the very reason why the WO had been signed on past 55. The moral - Don't mess with WOs, especially crusty old ones on continuance.

As for the original poster, I too am sceptical about a 24yr old being 'head-hunted' without having been actively looking first.

caddafi
18th Jun 2009, 17:10
As for the original poster, I too am sceptical about a 24yr old being 'head-hunted' without having been actively looking first.
As i said in my "Original post" I've been offered a job with a company working abroad No mention of head-hunting there. I "actively" looked for a job and was OFFERED it.

You don't get 'offered a job' at 24 unless you were actively seeking. You would need to be very, very good to be offered a job at first request.

See above about actively seeking a job. You do realise that young people can get well paying jobs first time around Pontious. We are not all yobs:=. Believe it or not I actually got into the RAF on my first attempt. Shocking I know, but they actually let 24yr olds fly aircraft in the RAF as well.:eek:

So, what are these magic skill sets that you must possess?

The same magic skills that got me into the RAF on my first attempt.

Condescending old git.

Anyway thanks for the helpful replies I received from those who actually believe in the young.

camelspyyder
18th Jun 2009, 17:31
Like most here I have nothing against the young per se, unless they somehow convince the service to train them at vast expense, and then sod off to the highest bidder ASAP:mad:

Could this possibly be the case here???

An aquaintance of mine suddenly became a conchy shortly after qualifying to fly 4-jets. I was less than impressed...

Pontius Navigator
18th Jun 2009, 17:41
caddafi, well done. I was into my second operational tour by your age.

You do realise that young people can get well paying jobs first time around Pontious well that wasn't you then was it?

Hope it stays fine for you.

PS

Condescending old git.

Insolent brat.

caddafi
18th Jun 2009, 21:22
I was into my second operational tour by your age.

Have a guess how many times I have been to Basra and Khandahar? I think my harmony stats will make yours look like a week at Butlins on holiday. You see the difference is, in our generation we were fighting two wars at the same time as opposed to fighting the second world war in your generation. You are nothing special if you think that you are the only one who has been to an operational theatre.

unless they somehow convince the service to train them at vast expense, and then sod off to the highest bidder ASAP

RAF Pilots don't do that then? Not now obviously as the airlines aren't recruiting.

Could this possibly be the case here???

This is very much the case here. The RAF have given me a skill much in demand that pays very well in civvy street, so why would I want to hang around? To get my Op allowance? The joy of smelling poo pond every day? Serving my country in some ****e hole called Afghanistan twice a year for the next few years? Do behave.:ugh:

Diedtrying
18th Jun 2009, 21:57
This is very much the case here. The RAF have given me a skill much in demand that pays very well in civvy street, so why would I want to hang around? To get my Op allowance? The joy of smelling poo pond every day? Serving my country in some ****e hole called Afghanistan twice a year for the next few years? Do behave.:ugh:

I like your honesty. :D

Pontius Navigator
19th Jun 2009, 07:04
caddaffi, I see maths and history are not your strong points.

Bigtop
19th Jun 2009, 21:29
Great to see such bickering and infighting in the light blue.
Obviously pervades throughout judging by the Telegraphs recent missives.:}:ok:

Biggus
20th Jun 2009, 10:38
Somehow I doubt that caddafi is a pilot....

I'm not sure the current age and training duration add up, given that he quotes a minimum PVR time as 12 months, rather than talking in terms of a certain return of service length post OCU.

Then there is the use of the word "trade", and of course this...

PVR waiting times! - E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums (http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=25710)

However, given the apparent attitude adopted I would be pleased to let him go ASAP if I were his boss!

Willard Whyte
23rd Jun 2009, 12:18
I think you're confusing general attitude to one induced by others who once may have known better.

musclemech
23rd Jun 2009, 13:40
Somehow I doubt that caddafi is a pilot....

I'm not sure the current age and training duration add up, given that he quotes a minimum PVR time as 12 months, rather than talking in terms of a certain return of service length post OCU.

Then there is the use of the word "trade",

I'm not sure that Caddafi has actually said that he is a pilot.....

Believe it or not I actually got into the RAF on my first attempt. Shocking I know, but they actually let 24yr olds fly aircraft in the RAF as well.

Perhaps it's the way one reads it....

MM