PDA

View Full Version : Sorry chaps back again with one of those (to me) intractable problems

Rossian
12th Jun 2009, 14:48
I'm sitting here with my pc firing on all cylinders, SWMBO's laptop also firing on all cylinders ackling happily and passing files like there was no tomorrow. My new router is working a treat and our current houseguest's laptop is beavering away upstairs. So this is a happy little network - except SWMBO wants to print a file from her laptop; it "sees" the printer and all it's little details but will it print? Will it B%^gery! Any pointers gratefully received.
The Ancient Mariner

PS I have a feeling in my water that it will be something blindingly obvious but I can't see it.

green granite
12th Jun 2009, 15:20
1) Is the printer driver installed on SWMBO's laptop? If not install it.

2) Will the printer work from a different PC? If not then you have a printer fault..................................probably.

Saab Dastard
12th Jun 2009, 17:06
What OS?

Is the printer attached to another PC or direct to the router?

Have you assigned permissions for the printer correctly?

SD

Rossian
12th Jun 2009, 17:50
GG I tried plugging the lappie direct to the printer (epson c66) it said was downloading the drivcer and said it installed it. No print
re second Q printer works ok from pc

SD Re 1 Connected to pc not router
Re 2 Don't know I'll investigate how to do thaT AND CHECK BACK LATER.

dINNER GUESTIEPOOHS ARRIVING BEST I CRACK ON WITH THE DRINKS. tA

THE ANCIENT MARINER

hellsbrink
12th Jun 2009, 18:21
Winblows Xp or above should dowload the drivers, etc, from the host PC IF your firewall is set up to allow "file and printer sharing on your network"

I suspect that is the problem, your firewall

green granite
12th Jun 2009, 18:35
If it won't print when directly plugged into the printer then it won't through the network either.

Try: Checking the print queue (double click the printer icon). If there are a mass of jobs waiting , right click and select cancel all jobs. When the print list is clear, right click the printer icon and select properties. Now click on test print.

If it still doesn't print un-install the Epson printer software from the control and then re-install

twiggs
12th Jun 2009, 23:31
Go into Control Panel>Printers and Faxes on the PC that the printer is connected to and make sure that the printer is being shared.
You would normally see that the icon for the printer has a hand on it. (don't we all? :E)
If it doesn't, right click on it and click sharing...

When you print from the laptop, ensure that the printer you select is the network printer. If you have installed the printer direct to the laptop, you will have a separate icon for it, but that one is not the one you need to use.
If you are not sure, delete any network printers already there and try to add the network printer again using the add printer wizard and selecting the second option, network printer.

Rossian
14th Jun 2009, 18:57
Finally cracked it this PM; dug out the original software disc for the printer. Uninstalled everything printer-associated I could see and reinstalled the disc on both the pc and the lappie. Talked SWMBO through all the points mentioned in the above p&sts and - BINGO it all worked. Thankyou all again. No doubt I'll be back again in the future.
The Ancient Mariner