PDA

View Full Version : Current Job Market for Pilots leaving the Forces.

MilPilot01
12th Jun 2009, 10:47
A quick question if I may to the rotary aircrew plying their trade across the country, both ex-mil and otherwise.

Other than reading the existing threads on here, it's quite difficult for service pilots like myself to get an idea of the current shade of green of the grass on the other side of the fence. With the option of leaving in the next twelve months and the alternative being yet more time on tour, I am starting to weigh up my options.

At time of leaving I will have 1500hrs, of which 1200 are TT, (+200hrs simulator if relevant) and a CPL(H) opened on a military type.

My question is how likely would it be for me to gain employment if I were to jump ship with the above experience?

Would I be realistically restricted to a certain part of the industry or would going abroad be the only option for me?

And finally, if I were not in a position to get a job would getting a type rating or IR be required to tip the balance?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience on my behalf and that of the other mil pilots who have similar interests.

ShyTorque
12th Jun 2009, 10:57
If you had asked 18 months ago I would have said go for it. Unfortunately, the UK market has severely slumped (should be little surprise there). The onshore companies have been laying pilots off and many private aircraft have been mothballed.

If you have a chance to delay your departure I would advise you to stay put until things improve but yes, an IR would certainly give you a head start over other job-seekers with similar experience to yourself. Unfortunately, that's the expensive option. Companies are more inclined to pay for a type rating.

fluffy5
12th Jun 2009, 11:13
A few qestions, where would you want to work ?
UK or rest of the world.
Is the 1200hrs twin turbine and on what type.
Do you have a military instrument rating and what grade is it ?

If you convert to civilian cpl, with that experience on twin, and I'm guessing alot of night, you could quite happily jump into a police or ambulance role.
Yet saying that with the civilian commercial enviroment corporately nose diving, you have alot of pilots now snapping up all the police and ambulance roles. I'm sticking my neck out here but the plod will offer anywhere between 45 to 55 grand, air ambulance about the same.

Depends what you want to do, are you a Qhi, do you want to teach civilian or military. teaching civilian in the uk will earn you a little more than a bus driver. Teaching military around the world alot more cash especially in saudi, kuwait, UAE or oman.

The problem is a current IR, if you can convert your miltary IR dependent on grade then it would be minimum cost to you to transfer.
Also why Jaa, you could just get a cpl jaa, and then do a FAA cpl and IR and work in alot more countries around the world.

Do you want the discipline of working in a proffesional unit, or free lance civie instructor drinking tea and eating bacon sandwiches.
You go into the utility sector as military experience in load lifting, and low flying, with such like PDG or Sterlings are a few, but the pay is average between 35 grand and 45 grand.

Or if you get Jaa cpl and convert to a JAA IR then see if the offshore sector will take you on, it's a bit hit and miss. But good money starting pay now for co-pilot is about 45. That is if you want to sit in a rubber suit on a radial for hours getting a numb ass, with 90% boredom and 10% terrified.

Check out a website Worldwide Helicopter / Helikopter Links (http://www.helicopter.li)
there is alot of information on there.

fluffy

MilPilot01
12th Jun 2009, 12:12
Thank you both for the rapid response.

In answer to the above:

I would prefer to work in the UK, however I'm very flexible about where. If my only option to get into the civvie world is to go abroad for 12-18 months then I might consider it although I have had my fair share of anywhere too dodgy!

Police or HEMS is my desired end state however as has been said, I'm sure the competition is pretty fierce. I'm only in my early 30s though so I'd be happy to move through other markets to get there. Pay wise, I'd be aiming to kick off at 40k-ish but needs must. I'm not a QHI and not really too interested in instructional work.

The 1200hrs are all Twin on one older analogue type and one newer digital type, although neither appear too often on the civilian register. Within that I have 350+hrs night (mostly NVG) and 100hrs IF having held a Green Rating for quite a few years now. I'm not sure if that helps in gaining a civilian instrument rating (other than reducing the training bill hopefully)?

Once again, many thanks for your input.

chcoffshore
12th Jun 2009, 12:19
You should be able to get a IR with those hours from 15 - 20K. Then a bigger market place will open to you. As you must know, Police/Hems take alot of ex mil but you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Good Luck :ok:

MilPilot01
12th Jun 2009, 13:15
Have the days gone where companies would offer a bond scheme for IRs or is that still an option? (home or abroad)

timex
12th Jun 2009, 13:16
Nothing going on at the moment, I would suggest that you get your cv off to as many possibly employers as possible. A couple of mates have (or are about to re-join due to lack of work).

MINself
12th Jun 2009, 13:22
I'd concur with what Shy is saying as one that jumped from that particular ship over 3 years ago. At the time I had similar hours to you and I chose to go the self-funded JAR IR route - thankfully had a few offers but what a difference a year can make! Thats not to say it's all doom and gloom but the opportunities are fewer as most of operators have reduced their recruitment as they weather the financial storm.
If you can stick it I'd be inclined to stay in a bit longer which will also get you closer to the magical 2000 figure which most police and many HEMS operator like their pilots to have - for insurance purposes.
However, if you can't or won't stay in I would definitely get a JAR IR - which depending on who you do it with, and including a type rating of the type you choose to do the IR in, will set you back about 20k!!! I hear you gasp... but thats the cost if you want to self-fund, you might get lucky and find one of the larger operators willing to pay for this but at the moment they're fairly inundated with CVs of people in a similar position to yours all without an IR, so whilst an expensive option and not without risk at least your CV will hopefully stand out from the crowd to get you a job!?! It really is crystal ball time when you prepare to leave at a years notice!
Good luck whatever your choice.
Fly safe sandy side :ok:

MilPilot01
12th Jun 2009, 14:32
That's exactly the sort of info I was looking for (although saying what I feared would be the case). It's a useful reality check compared to the people who say the ex-mil guys can have it their own way when they choose to move on.

If anyone else has any input I'd be equally appreciative, though it looks like it will be back to the drawing board for now.

HughMartin
12th Jun 2009, 17:03
Hi Milpilot01,

I would not get too despondent. As far as the UK oil & gas support work is concerned, we have been going through a few months of slack and there are a lot of doom merchants around but the cycle will turn and it would not suprise me if the major operators aren't employing again soon. The price of oil is going up again and there are quite a few pilots getting towards retirement.

As far as time scale is concerned, that is a more difficult one. It could be as soon as early next year so if you need to get some civvy qualifications (IR etc) sorted out, now is the time to do it. I would be surprised if the present situation in O & G lasts much longer.

Once confidence in industry generally starts to improve, I can see oil & gas demand rising quickly. There is already a shortage of reliable gas supplies and Europe is keen to reduce its dependence on Russian supplies. There seems to have been a concentration on maximizing production from existing reserves at the expense of exploration over the last couple of years. I suspect we will see a lot more activity in exploration and drilling in the next 2-3 years.

That's what my crystal ball is saying based on the natural cycles of the oil industry over the last 30+ years for what its worth.

Good luck when you do jump - the water isn't that cold.

HM

detgnome
12th Jun 2009, 19:54
I don't believe there is much if any recruiting going on in the N Sea at the moment, although I do hear varying reports about Bond. In terms of bonds for IRs, CHC will pay for the IR for ex-mil, but you repay it (Interest free) over 3 years. I understand that Bond have/are moving to a similar deal. Cost of the IR depends on previous experience but will begin (2008 prices) at £13k if you have/had a green procedural rating. If you don't have the procedural you can add on another £3-6k.

sowhatsgoingon
12th Jun 2009, 20:02
Helicrew solutions have several positions going in the Middle East at the moment, see details on their website, as the girl I spoke to in their office said the other day "its all a matter of timing". That said by their own admission they dont have an awful lot going on in the UK, it usually Middle East or Africa.