PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan B.1 XH498 Wellington NZ

George Alpha
12th Jun 2009, 08:29
Hi, Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'm trying to get details of the aircrew of Avro Vulcan B.1 XH498 which suffered damage to its port undercarriage when attempting a landing at Wellington airport in October 1959. The reason for my enquiry is that I believe the pilot was my first boss, in civilian life and I'd really like to know if it was him at the controls (he would never talk about the incident, or, if it is the same man, his WW2 record - DFC and bar). Thanks if anyone can help.

henry crun
12th Jun 2009, 09:29
George Alpha: A few years back there was a long thread In the Military forum titled Did You Fly The Vulcan.

The Wellington crash was mentioned but I cannot recall if the captain was named.
Tim McLelland posted on that thread and also subsequently wrote a book about the Vulcan, you could send him a PM and ask if he knows the name.

DHfan
13th Jun 2009, 07:44
According to Robert Jackson's book on the Vulcan, the pilot was Squadron Leader Tony Smailes.

Brain Potter
13th Jun 2009, 07:56
Have a look at this:

YouTube - Avro Vulcan Near-crash Landing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3iMw7Q7H68)

George Alpha
19th Jun 2009, 10:14
Yes, Tony Smailes was my MD. No wonder he was reluctant to talk about the incident which, fortunately, did not result in any fatalaties or injuries other than to his pride! Thanks.

CV880
23rd Jun 2009, 04:56
I was only a youngster at the time but recall it was quite windy that day (as Wellington Airport is famous for) and the RNZAF damaged a Sunderland flying boat the same day making a low pass up the runway when turbulence caused it to scrape its keel and it had to be beached immediately on "landing" to stop it from sinking. Years later I spent a few weeks working at Wellington Airport and it was interesting watching operations on a windy day. SAFE Bristol Freighters requiring lots of power on approach just to make the runway with full flap and stopping in a little more than their own length almost as soon as the throttles were closed. DC3's taxiing out for take off with the rudder gust lock in and the F/O or someone getting out and removing it before entering the runway. I watched a maintenance crew trying to taxy a DC3 to the NAC hangar which required a 90 degree turn across the wind. Revving the RH engine until the tail started to lift several times trying to get it to turn across the wind. Eventually shutdown and got a tug and towbar.