PDA

View Full Version : à la montagne....

thrustsamust
11th Jun 2009, 23:15
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any advice for possible career routes into the mountains in europe. I currently live in the UK, have a JAA CPL(H) and i'm ready to undertake the instructors rating but wondering whether I should do it with a company in, for example, Switzerland, if i am to improve my long term chances of a career outside the UK. I know I may be asking prematurely as I have such relatively low experience compared to most of you (hence the question), but would rather ask now at the risk of sounding naive, than wish I had asked at a later date.

Thanks in advance guys

choppadan
12th Jun 2009, 12:31
Hey,

I am also in the UK with a CPL, with a pretty similar ambition. I've spent a while in France trying to have a chat with companies in broken french.

Basically to cut a long story short they mostly said 'go away, get 1500hrs mountain!!!!!! then come back'. Oh and learn french!!(swap french as required). Their view on the language was, even though a lot of places may speak English, a lot of mountain work can be in and out of very small helipads in the middle of nowhere, manned by a local guy on the radio who may or may not speak a word of english!!

Admittidly I was asking about the more interesting jobs invloving lots of snow, etc.. I'm sure there must be another way into the industry. While I keep working on my mountain time, I would be very interested to hear anyones elses ideas or advice.

Thanks for any help in advance, Good luck to thrustsamust, I'll look forward to bumping into you (not litterally) in the hills somewhere.