PDA

View Full Version : How does sir/madam organise his/her flightsuit?

RansS9
11th Jun 2009, 19:19
To start with I'm non-military and the question is one of curosity/advice. If the mods feel it needs to be elsewhere...no problem.

I have purchased a flightsuit...why? you might ask...eerrhhh seemed like a good idea at the time. It's a MK14A which may mean something to you. Anyway its' got pockets, loads of them, everytime I put it on I discover new ones! And systems redundancy.... well let's just say it has three..THREE coat-hanger loops!!

Anyway my question. Is there a STANDARD RAF way of organising this? You know; map left side; radio coms list right kneepad; Tesco shoppong list right chest pocket.. etc.

What do you put in the knee pockets? The windows look too small to show much info. And there appears to be another large separate pocket directly underneath the windowed one.

Those pockets by the ankles , what goes into them?

What pens do you use, biros/ chinagraph pencils? I presume they don't have detachable lids and must be quite thin to fit into the pen pockets.

I fly an aeroplane (Pitts) which like its' owner is basic and not well endowed........with storage space. Any tips on using these pockets effectively for basic ppl flying/ navigation greatly received.

TIM

5 Forward 6 Back
11th Jun 2009, 19:32
Your coathanger loops are actually for your scarf, you know.

ChecklistPlease
11th Jun 2009, 19:39
that def sounds like a Vigilant Pilot too me! lol:)

TheSmiter
11th Jun 2009, 19:41
Rans - don tin hat and prepare for incoming. :) Take it on the chest!

Most operational aircrew now are on the 16B, sans knee pads and pockets which are so uncool.

If you've bought my old Mk 14 from ebay or whoever the Govt used to sell it off, I apologise for the rips caused by various sharp edges on HM's war machines not covered by the latest H & S legislation.

And that little stain is easily explained if you care to PM me.

Enjoy!

Pontius Navigator
11th Jun 2009, 19:51
Is there a STANDARD RAF way of organising this? You know; map left side; radio coms list right kneepad; Tesco shoppong list right chest pocket.. etc.

No, but in training there is a standard amount of cr6p to be carried and that tends to dictate what goes where. Post-training, in the old days, things like bottle openers and can openers were not uncommon.

The calk pockets tend to hold BINA, FIH, TAP Booklet, Checklist and stuff that needs to be carried but is not in immediate use.

Hip pockets might include chinagraph rag (old money) or felt tip rag (new money). They will also hold gloves if the right, upper thigh pocket is not used.

Chest pockets, like the hip pockets will hold things not required in flight such as comb or hair brush for the vane or wallet for the thirsty. Keys will also be kept in the chest pocket.

What do you put in the knee pockets? The windows look too small to show much info. And there appears to be another large separate pocket directly underneath the windowed one.

The upside down thigh pockets will usually hold the flight maps - topo and en route chart. They are easy to get at when seated. The right way up pockets will possibly hold gloves and they will be removed before you sit down.

What pens do you use, biros/ chinagraph pencils? I presume they don't have detachable lids and must be quite thin to fit into the pen pockets. In training they are often attached via lanyards and have dayglo added to make them easy to find when you drop then in the cockpit.

The knee pad 'windows' often have local area info such as VOR/DME grid and essential info. The essential info might be a simple set of boxes with the actual info written on top. Top tip - DO NOT USE WASHABLE chinagraph or felt tip - it runs in the rain.

Edited to add, drat, couldn't afford mobile phones then.

switch_on_lofty
11th Jun 2009, 19:57
Here's my semi-serious take on this.
The RAF carry in their pockets:
Lower leg - chip hat (specially designed for the crabs so that when they landed away they could walk to the Officer's Mess with headgear. Other Services could substitute a Beret. I used to put Maps/FLIPs in there when flying FW but now they stay empty in helis where I have a handbag full of them, and maps. Also useful for gloves when on the ground.
Knife-cutter pocket - Knife, useful for cutting straight lines quickly in maps (blunts the blade a bit so I'm told)
Kneeboard pockets - what do you want to write there? There's plenty of space for frequencies, plan of 2 airfields, spaces to write QFE etc. You could get a kneeboard attachment with a foldery thing in to keep even more useless info in. Obviously if you have bad eyesight you'll need to write bigger, so you'll fit less in (but maybe if your eyesight's that bad then you shouldn't be flying!).
In the large velcro knee pockets that open away from you when sitting I kept FRCs (when they were small enough to fit in there). Ones that face you are good for stuff you don't need in flight such as directions to the nearest hotel/pub at destination/half-filled out JPA audit sheets.
Chest pockets are good for wallet, mobile phone and other stuff that you don't need, assuming that you are wearing a parachute or life-jacket, as all mil people are.
Pen pockets on sleeve good for pens, AA maglite etc. Have to be careful about loose article hazard in your sporty little a/c though.
Hope this helps in some way(!)

Switch

P.S The RN carry extra-large condoms, breath mints, musk, drag fancy-dress and cash. Also some waterproofed sweets for recharging your batteries after a long trip!
P.P.S Haven't got a clue what the army carry, probably a camo net, hexi stove and a big knife. Not forgetting gun-dog (Officers), football boots, ball and shirt (NCOs).

RansS9
11th Jun 2009, 20:22
Thanks for your enlightenment. Thanks for your time.

TIM

PS re stain , it's almost disappeared after the third wash and given it's location I think I can fill in the blanks. Thanks again.

Airborne Aircrew
11th Jun 2009, 20:27
I just used to fold them neatly and put them in the top drawer... :}

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Jun 2009, 20:32
Racing spoon in left arm pen pocket.

larssnowpharter
11th Jun 2009, 20:37
How does sir/madam organise his/her flightsuit?

Of course, after ISS you would have spelled this 'organize'.:)

diginagain
11th Jun 2009, 21:10
Don't forget the 'Mission Mints'.

Pontius Navigator
11th Jun 2009, 21:27
Also some waterproofed sweets for recharging your batteries after a long trip!

Or even

Also some waterproofed batteries for recharging your ........ after a long trip!

Well he did say sir/madam :}

Tankertrashnav
11th Jun 2009, 21:42
Read the whole thread and can't believe no-one has made a comment that recently appeared on another thread - that is, in the RAF they tend to call them "flying suits" (coveralls if you are pedantic). Nice touch if you want to sound authentic - a bit like not saying "plane" - always aeroplane or aircraft, which I see you already do:ok:

BEagle
11th Jun 2009, 21:54
Spoons in pockets are soooooooo Hercules co-pilot....

It simply isn't done.

GPMG
11th Jun 2009, 22:43
The book 'When Thunder rolled'by Ed Rasimus (a very good book), has a fair bit of info regarding what he carried on ops in Vietnam. If I remember correctly, he carried spare batteries for his emergency radio and a spare pistol in his calf pockets. He writes about the massive weight of equipment that they carried in their suit pockets.

Farfrompuken
11th Jun 2009, 23:36
Well, here's my take:

Left calf pocket: paperwork of unknown nature plus flying gloves. Doubles as primary chip bag hat receptacle (if hat location known). Keep a torch in there too.

Right calf pocket: wallet. Additional paperwork of unknown nature.

Left hip pocket: handkerchief.

Right hip pocket: possible change up to a maximum of £2. Car key.

Left breast pocket: paperwork of unknown nature.

Right breast pocket: phone. Additional paperwork of unknown nature and payslips.

Pen holders: pens and occasionally Spork.

The good news is that in about one in ten changes of flying suit, the paperwork of unknown nature briefly becomes paperwork of known nature shortly before entering the bin.

Flak Jacket
11th Jun 2009, 23:56
When I was in the mob and flying;

Left lower leg; Chip hat and pilot's handbook
Right lower leg; Stuff I really should know but can never remember, also quiz book for Atlantic transits and EO trips.

Thigh pockets; old maps and fluff

Knee boards; QFE, weather and piloty stuff
Underneath knee board pockets; sick bag, essential for the odd foray down the back in the kipper fleet.

Hip pockets; gloves

Chest pockets; wallet, keys, change, passport etc etc, blah....

Knife pocket; erm knife when we were given one, other than that a cardboard box opening device/dingy thing.

Basically whatever you feel comfortable with in whatever combination, although old maps and fluff are a given.

Adam Nams
12th Jun 2009, 02:18
Sitting here in my locally made flying suit I have:
Right calf pocket: Ziplock bag containing ear plugs, surgical mask and gloves, multi lingual emergency phrase book, sickbags

Knee pad pockets:
Nil - I tried to open the velcro the other day and the whole pocket started to detach (I did say 'locally made'!)

Right breast pocket:
old casualty report form (unwashed), and details of last navex for my student

Left pocket
remains of old casualty report form and tissue combination (washed)

Pen pocket
Three colour biro

Note - no hip pockets - the boss didn't want us walking around with our hands in our pockets making the place look untidy :=

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Jun 2009, 05:15
Spoons in pockets are soooooooo Hercules co-pilot....

At least it prevents the starboard lookout eating with his fingers and licking the tinfoil afterwards.:}

Background Noise
12th Jun 2009, 06:31
Most operational aircrew now are on the 16B, sans knee pads and pockets which are so uncool.

The small number of FJ aircrew maybe - but most operational aircrew are surely on rotary and multis - and in pink.

foldingwings
12th Jun 2009, 08:23
Wallet & comb top left hand breast pocket (for right-handers and vice versa for left-handers).

For FJ guys the rest of the pockets were redundant in my day 'cos everything went into similar pockets on the g-suit!

Foldie

TheSmiter
12th Jun 2009, 08:41
That is a very good point, Background, and I'm happy to concede :O As my little pink number has been unused for a few months, I'd completely blanked it - however it's getting close to the time where she makes a re appearance :{

Far from being the 'spray on flying suits worn by CrabAir trolley dollies' as noted in Ed Macy's Apache, my dessie coveralls take the description of 'grow-bag' to a new level.

What do I carry in the pockets? Sadly very little you'd need in civvy street Rans, unless you want a call from SO19 or whatever the feds call themselves nowadays. However, the ubiquitous RAF spork is always a welcome addition to your pen holder, being the original multi-tool, cooking / eating utensil as well as back-up in case of 9mm stoppage. And it gets through all baggage scanners inc RAFP. Result.

Downside - considered below stairs by some sniffy hofficers.

Cappacino sir? ;)

Wader2
12th Jun 2009, 09:12
As for the paper of unknown nature, I think he means 'content' or 'purpose'. What no one has mentioned is:

Laundered paper of unknown origin

On Vulcan QRA I also had a spare pair of socks. On call out I would don one pair. In the aircraft I could don the second pair if it was cold. In the right leg pocket would be a melted, resolidified, melted etc Mars bar. Sometimes this would be laundered too unless the dogs got to it first.

One time our copilot's right leg pocket contained a half-eaten chicken leg. Later, about a month later, it contained about a quarter of a half-eaten chicken leg and a large quantity of well fed and very happy maggots.:}

TheSmiter
12th Jun 2009, 09:29
One time our copilot's right leg pocket contained a half-eaten chicken leg. Later, about a month later, it contained about a quarter of a half-eaten chicken leg and a large quantity of well fed and very happy maggots.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Niiiiccccccce Wader!

Re the Mars bar - I recently retrieved my Moortrek model secreted somewhere in my flying jacket in a hiding place so cunning, the fox, squippers and DS never found it :ok:

Still tasted good after 25 years. You can lead a knocker to a commission but you can't take him out of the gutter!

I was always taught not to waste anything on my ITC. :O

L J R
12th Jun 2009, 09:58
Top Left Pocket - A very wet receipt for classified documents that the nice chap at police HQ gave me the afternoon prior to the 'quick trip to the Mess' (which turned into an all-nighter complete with pool dunking). Amazing how the flying suit pocket cannot protect that stuff....

Willard Whyte
12th Jun 2009, 10:39
Top left: 'phone, passport*, travel order
Top right: zippo, half a packet of Marlboro, wallet, cash for more Marlboro
Upper Knee, either side: chippy
Knee without chippy: Oakleys (can be hung from O2 loop if required - thanks for the reminder Wensleydale)
Hip pockets: gloves
Pens on sleeve
Gerber 'covert folder' in knife pocket

no comb required, #2 on top, #1 at sides

Everything else is somewhere in my headset bag.
Hopefully.

* used to be in one of the knees, surprisingly resilient to one service wash, but not the second.

Wensleydale
12th Jun 2009, 12:05
No-one has yet mentioned the O2 loop on the front of the coverall - used to attach dog tags via a carabiner. Also used to attach the lanyard securing a small multi-tool that lives in the breast zip pocket. So much better than the wretched strap cutter and you get an added tin opener/scissors etc. Remember to put it into hold baggage before departing from Briz tho!

I also have a small bum-bag in the lower leg pocket that contains Passport, Driving Licence, NTO, RAFFT/CCS Card, F111 Med Card, a list of good phone numbers and a wad of Euros. Essential when diverting. and just straps onto the civies when deployed. It also fits the leg pocket of CS95. Looks a bit poofy, but very practical.

camelspyyder
12th Jun 2009, 15:20
Hasn't anyone on this thread heard of FOD!!!

My suit contains

1 biro,
1 chinagraph,
1 frcs,
stop.

oh, and a grumpy old airman...

CS;)

Capt Pit Bull
12th Jun 2009, 15:29
Hasn't anyone on this thread heard of FOD!!!

No.

But I've heard of FOOD....

TheSmiter
12th Jun 2009, 16:17
But I've heard of FOOD....

Pit Bull, good call, as long as you don't forget it:

One time our copilot's right leg pocket contained a half-eaten chicken leg. Later, about a month later, it contained about a quarter of a half-eaten chicken leg and a large quantity of well fed and very happy maggots.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Spider, you grumpy old sod, you've been in Training Command too long!
Surely you remember your time on the front line where the contents of pockets should be -

Top left - 1250

All other compartments - Lick on tatts

The end

No need for maps - one nav + spare if he gets lost
No need for freqs - AEO
No need for money - co pilot
No need for book of gen - Air Eng
No need for chinagraph - 4th dry / 3rd wet

TGIF :cool:

PTC REMF
12th Jun 2009, 16:31
The small number of FJ aircrew maybe - but most operational aircrew are surely on rotary and multis - and in pink.

I think you'll find this seasons outfit is desert dpm FR CS95. Pink flying suits are for air stewards and harrier pilots for posing around the cookhouse.

diginagain
12th Jun 2009, 16:45
Stowage probs were resolved by the issue of that abortion of a DPM flying trousers/jacket combo; you couldn't fit anything in any of the pockets.

L J R
12th Jun 2009, 18:00
Smitter, With all that help, how long does it take to manage an emergency....?

I prefer to put the gear down and land, with a cursory call to ATC, if I remember...

FRC in the leg pocket that are difficult to get out from under G Pants.

Dundiggin'
12th Jun 2009, 19:41
Forgive me for being pedantic....but I presume you have a 'FLYING SUIT' :ok:not a 'flight suit':ugh:.....Please use the proper terminology as all this American 'fluence is beginning to p@ss me off...unless I'm wrong of course....

Pontius Navigator
12th Jun 2009, 19:53
Camelspyder, that is why some pockets have zips. Confess I almost swallowed my false teeth, if I had them, when someone said he used his hip pocket for kets and money.

Pontius Navigator
12th Jun 2009, 19:55
Top right: zippo, half a packet of Marlboro, wallet, cash for more Marlboro

Unlike Walts who have a Marlboro pocket on the sleeve of their flightsuits.

Tankertrashnav
12th Jun 2009, 22:33
in the RAF they tend to call them "flying suits" (coveralls if you are pedantic)

but I presume you have a 'FLYING SUIT' http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gifnot a 'flight suit':ugh:

You going to pay me royalties on that post DD? Already made that point yesterday! But we do agree, at least.

billynospares
13th Jun 2009, 10:25
Left arm pen pocket - lucky plastic spoon and spare which becomes the lucky one if first one snaps.

Oxy loop - Small flat led torch thing

Right hand thigh - Fuel loads sheet

Left chest - Wallet and mobile phone

Right chest - Marlboro lights passport

Left ankle - Sick bag flying gloves and hercules handbook

Right ankle- spare pants

Pontius Navigator
13th Jun 2009, 10:50
Forgot, one knocker used to carry a mirror to check his parting. His headset mussed his hair up.

Or Mick Muttet who carried a buffer rather than a hair brush :}

Lionel Lion
13th Jun 2009, 13:47
How do I organise? Er...........dress to the left

:E

Adam Nams
14th Jun 2009, 01:56
Or Mick Muttet who carried a buffer rather than a hair brush http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Yip yip! :ok:

TheSmiter
14th Jun 2009, 09:22
Mick Muttitt has to be one of the nicest gentlemen who walked this earth. I believe he carried in his flying suit:

One pair half-moon spectacles.
One crumpled piece of paper with Yellowgate RPRO positions.

Everything else was in his head.

Top, top bloke who, last I heard (2007) was happily bird watching in deepest Suffolk. No more Klondiker recce in Ullapool!

Captain555
14th Jun 2009, 09:50
The answer is simple. NO, there is no standard way of filling the pockets. Take what you need, with stuff you'll need most often in the pockets you can access easily when strapped in.

Wensleydale
14th Jun 2009, 18:13
The answer is simple. NO, there is no standard way of filling the pockets. Take what you need, with stuff you'll need most often in the pockets you can access easily when strapped in.

Now you've done it! The leaning team will be round faster than you can say "OC Ops Promotion" to make our working day more efficient by coming up with a standard (ie useless) pocket fill.:ugh:

Adam Nams
15th Jun 2009, 03:09
Mick Muttitt has to be one of the nicest gentlemen who walked this earth

Here here!

I am glad that he is enjoying his retirement. Had the pleasure of being on the same crew as him for a few years at ISK. Top bloke

wahwah64
16th Jun 2009, 09:34
Firstly on Ops we don't wear flying suits but rather fire retardent combats!

For day to day business back in the UK though....

Lower calf pockets reserved for Bina one sida and FIH the other. The weight pulls the suit down nicely giving it a good look and hides the creases!!

Knee pockets, or none depending which suit I have grabbed that morning, normally left blank, no inserts, no knife as it comes pre-fitted to jackets.

Hip pockets normally gloves, which I then struggle to get out once I have jumped in and fastened my harness!!!

Chest pockets are normally reserved for loose change, pens, pen knife and mini 6B.

Don't even get us started on the badges though!!!!!

J.A.F.O.
18th Mar 2010, 21:39
Only just noticed that there was a "What a fine chap is Mick Muttitt" thread so thought I'd let you know that I spent this afternoon birdwatching with him in deepest Suffolk.

He is still one of the nicest men I've ever met.

Dengue_Dude
18th Mar 2010, 22:15
Nobody but nobody has mentioned the Mars Bar stowage when decanted from the lumpy box. My daughter, as a toddler, knew EXACTLY where to find them, even in guests' flying suits . . . and woe betide someone visiting without requisite nutty.

Or are lumpy boxes not de rigueur anymore?

BootFlap
19th Mar 2010, 00:01
I'm going for Port Upper (wallet and ID), Starboard Upper (MonteChristo No3 & breath mints), everything else empty, along with 'self mods' to pockets with Velcro access to testicles! Comes in handy in 50deg when you still wear long johns! Ask the 6' 4"(ish) Harrier mate who wore the full 'ish' in the middle of an Afghan summer just in case! Easy access for a 'quick scratch' seemed useful as he tabbed outside or was he just a w@nker :ok:

chippy63
19th Mar 2010, 00:15
Does Sir dress to the right or to the left?:O

Double Zero
19th Mar 2010, 12:36
There is a serious reason why ' pro ' people who fly in mainly light aircraft, in my case as an aerial photgrapher with ex-military a/c experience, would want to use ex-Services flight suits.

They're flame retardant, which is a comfort when flying in dodgy aircraft with pilots one doesn't know well - also the many pockets come in very handy.

Unfortunately although the above reasons make good sense to me, the p'taking would reach a crescendo !

So I bow to peer pressure and use less professional kit, which must be stupid...

airborne_artist
19th Mar 2010, 12:44
They're flame retardant

Check that the washing instructions have been followed though.

Pontius Navigator
20th Mar 2010, 09:13
Nobody but nobody has mentioned the Mars Bar stowage when decanted from the lumpy box. My daughter, as a toddler, knew EXACTLY where to find them, even in guests' flying suits . . . and woe betide someone visiting without requisite nutty.

Ah yes, the melted, congealed Mars bar. In my case the dogs got there first; they had bigger noses and sharper teeth.

They perfected the technique of jumping on my legs, turning round, and burrowing into the pocket. Always bottom right.

Now I wish fashion designers would design cargo pants with upside down pockets on the thigh and add shin pockets. Perfect for flying civvie when strapped in a 32 inch pitch (pinch) seat. Even with cargos the thigh pocket is too small for a paperback, apple, banana, nutty bar etc and then difficult to get in to.

Skittles
20th Mar 2010, 11:57
Right thigh pocket: Double Decker
Right leg pocket: Twix and Wine Gums
Breast pocket: Snickers, Bounty, Flake
Left thigh pocket: Cheese and Onion crisps
Left leg pocket: Can of Coke

And people laugh at me for wearing a flying suit in a C150.

Pontius Navigator
20th Mar 2010, 12:40
Right thigh pocket: Double Decker
Right leg pocket: Twix and Wine Gums
Breast pocket: Snickers, Bounty, Flake
Left thigh pocket: Cheese and Onion crisps
Left leg pocket: Can of Coke

And people laugh at me for wearing a flying suit in a C150.

Oink, oink :=

Dengue_Dude
20th Mar 2010, 16:59
He must have been on the Kipper fleet Pontius !

DanoNexis
19th Oct 2015, 22:56
Hey there, came across your post about Mick Muttitt, and him keeping his half moon spectacles in his flying jacket.
This made me smile as he still uses those very same specs. Every time I even think of a memory of my grandad, these specs appear on his nose followed by the sharp satifying crack of his shabby specs case closing. ☺️

Cows getting bigger
20th Oct 2015, 07:04
RH ankle pocket - Imprest
LH ankle pocket - Imprest (long trips only) and or gloves.
Knees - vomit bag (passenger use only)
Hip Pockets - empty. Reserved for jewellery manipulation tools :)
Left sleeve pen pocket - Dead pen and SH approved spoon (long stem)
Left tittie - bottle/can opener & credit card (preferably not mine)
Right tittle - pre-signed resignation letter.

Simples. :)

Pontius Navigator
20th Oct 2015, 07:32
Dano, thanks for bringing this thread to life, made me grin.

On yr grandad, in 74, on the OCU, we were returning from Malta, via Gibraltar, when Mick, in the Port Beam called Submarine, port beam, 9 o'clock, Foxtrot.

We were at FL 330 at the time. Then he called a second, third and fourth, followed by a Don. Eagle eyed indeed.

Jayand
20th Oct 2015, 15:37
The excuse for purchasing and wearing a chip hat being that it fits into a flying suit pocket is such a load of old b####x.
It is all about image, a beret fits just fine.
Better not get started on about black leather jackets! lol

esa-aardvark
20th Oct 2015, 22:02
As the title I have a suit flying MK7A, fits 72"-76", max weight 188lbs. Those were the
days. I am 72" and it's too small for me, might fit 70" and not too heavy. Free in exchange
for a contribution to an Air Force charity. In NZ right now but can bring to Spain,
possibly UK next summer. John

PersonFromPorlock
20th Oct 2015, 23:28
Boy, that was a long time ago. Dunno about you Blokes, but when USAF adopted nomex flying suits, the first issue had a zipper problem where the upper and lower pulls on the front closure would jam closed; quite an interesting problem when the time came to take a leak. Pliers became an essential part of my tool kit for a while.

Willard Whyte
21st Oct 2015, 00:47
It is all about image, a beret fits just fine.

Beret = sex pest.

Stitchbitch
21st Oct 2015, 05:59
Nothing if you'd managed to piss the Squippers off :E

BEagle
21st Oct 2015, 07:34
Beret? Beret??

A beret is simply NOT an officer's headware. OK for French onion-johnnies and rockapes, but simply not done for aircrew....

....Ok, OK - I know that the RW world have other needs. But would any pilot climb out of a Typhoon or Voyager and don a $odding beret?

BTW, removing the central line of stitching from the pen pocket of the Aircrew Leather Jacket provides a pocket just the right size for a Nokia 6310i cellphone.

John Eacott
21st Oct 2015, 07:57
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/10897782_1531824546957304_3331959789227867254_n.jpg?oh=ce9aa 67d6ac53965edd6eb07301478b8&oe=56C7305CBeret? Beret??

A beret is simply NOT an officer's headware. OK for French onion-johnnies and rockapes, but simply not done for aircrew....

If you're a 20 year old flying single seat fighters off a carrier, you can choose French onion-johnnies headwear any time :ok:

He was a Mid, but accelerated promotion to give him some status on board :cool:

skaterboi
21st Oct 2015, 07:58
Nokia 6310i? Nokia 6310i??

A Nokia 6310i is simply NOT an officer's mobile telecommunications device. OK for old ladies or as a play thing for a toddler, but simply not done for aircrew....

....Ok, OK - I know that old people don't get this new fangled technology and have other needs. But would any pilot climb out of a Typhoon or Voyager and use a Nokia 6310i?

BTW, removing the battery and hurling it under the nearest bus can provide just the right amount of satisfaction before one can go and buy a decent, up to date mobile device.

;)

Stitchbitch
21st Oct 2015, 11:34
They look like the ones the stick monkeys used to be issued by Ops before setting out on a display trip. Too modern for Beags, he's probably got Dom Jollies mobile. :E

Pontius Navigator
21st Oct 2015, 13:10
One up for BEag's, we ditched the smartphone as it was not smart. Couldn't hear it ring, ages to find a number, probably ring the wrong one. Reverted to the 6310 and we can hear it, and the battery lasts for days rather than minutes.

AR1
21st Oct 2015, 13:35
I'm with Beags on this.

Berets are for rolling up and inserting under an airman's epaulet, thus making a target for dress regulation bollockings. And Rockapes.

Chip / Forage are pasty shaped for a reason.

The only exception is a battered droopy SD on top of the head of a kipper fleet pilot, which presumably was stored on the hat and coat stand behind the seat.

I have a 14a too. Helped me to pretend when I was in the back of a Herc. I had nothing to put in the pockets.

BEagle
21st Oct 2015, 14:28
The Nokia 6301i is a modern classic - battery lasts for ages, adequate ring tones and tactile buttons. It's a phone and has old-school sms facility - suits me fine as it fits the car kit without buggering about with bluetooth. When I was at an Airbooos meeting not that long ago, several senior engineers were clinging on to their trusty, if rather battered, 6310i phones and fighting off all attempts to inflict one of those glass panel kiddyphones with their dismal battery life upon them. Main reason being that the damn things invariably ran out of battery power when out in the field...

Berets.... "À l'eau, c'est l'heure" would seem appropriate for the vendeur des oignons in John Eacott's photo....:ooh:

Ancient Squipper
21st Oct 2015, 15:03
Stop winding the Squippers up!! It's a COVERALL a suit is a two or three piece garment.
No one has mentioned a piddle pack yet (Bags crew relief)

Minnie Burner
21st Oct 2015, 15:06
Beret, 6310, (+spare battery), no leg pockets. Heaven!
Burn the chip hat. And all uniform changes since 1970.

Dan Winterland
21st Oct 2015, 15:42
fyA2FZxz8yI

camelspyyder
22nd Oct 2015, 08:17
Beret? Beret??

A Captain I flew with shared this view, stole the co-pilots beret and then taped it to the inside of the bomb doors.

At a suitable time over Pakistan the Co was instructed to cycle the bomb doors, and then briefed the exact position by the Nav.

"Why do I need to know that?" he asked.

"That's the LKP for your hat mate!"

Probably even today it adorns the head of an unknown goat-herd in the FATA :)

RAFEngO74to09
22nd Oct 2015, 21:38
Stichbitch,

Dom Joly's phone ! I forgot how funny those sketches were - brings back memories of my 1st MOD London tour in the late 80s - if you walked through the City of London you actually encountered yuppies behaving just like that !

Just the telecommunications device for slightly deaf aircrew of a certain age. "HELLO ! - WHATTTTT ! - I'M IN A XXX ! - NO, IT'S RUBBISH !"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJezRcy2P8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30DcHyi-hZE

oldmansquipper
23rd Oct 2015, 15:07
Put what you like in the leg pockets - then go to a `Welsh Air Force FJ station`, walk into the bar, and wait to see how long it will be until they are ripped off by resident top guns....

;)

taxydual
23rd Oct 2015, 15:23
Organise this one!

Red Arrows Flying Suit - Red 9 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Arrows-Flying-Suit-Red-9-/141804245364?hash=item2104311174:g:g3oAAOSwwbdWImDE)

Isn't selling HM's kit on ebay illegal? I won't tell if you won't. £770 so far............