PDA

View Full Version : Crohn's disease and Class 2 Medical

GeorgeBC
11th Jun 2009, 19:16
Hello,

I'm hoping someone might be able to clear something up for me. I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease (About 7 months ago now) and have since been keeping it under control with medication. I was hoping to start training for my PPL this summer but was unsure as to whether Crohn's disease could be an issue when it comes to gaining a Class 2 Medical.

I've tried looking at the CAA website with regards to this and was unable to obtain a clear answer, any help would be greatly appreciated.

George.

gingernut
11th Jun 2009, 20:05
Probably worth a search George, this question came up about 3 or 4 years ago.

It's likely that the AME would be interested in certain key factors, rather than the label itself:-frequency, and severity of exascerbations, nature of the exascerbation, number of hospitalisations and drug treatment.

Daysleeper
12th Jun 2009, 06:46
Hi George,

some previous PPRUNE threads on Crohn's are
here (http://www.pprune.org/search.php?searchid=5474008)

Overall it's such a diverse disease that it is very hard to give specific advice though needing drugs to control it tends to suggest a Class 1 or 2 medical will be hard to gain. The CAA medical section are probably your best bet for advice and are quite friendly and not nearly as scary as you may think.

as an aside there is a facebook mutual support group swopping tales of crohn's nastiness.

good luck with it.

TrueAiR
19th Jun 2009, 09:33
I'm £30k in debt because they approved my medical, and then claimed it was void because of my Crohn's history.

Make damn sure you aren't going to be left in my position. The stress is not worth it.

Daysleeper
19th Jun 2009, 19:14
I'm £30k in debt because they approved my medical, and then claimed it was void because of my Crohn's history

What? Er did they know you had chron's before you got the med? And if they did there must be some sort of redress?

TrueAiR
22nd Jun 2009, 07:58
Yes, they knew about it. But the aeromedical doctor "didn't have time to review [my] case" before she stamped it.

PDF
27th Jun 2009, 19:24
George

I am aware of someone with a Crohns that holds a Class 1 medical - not sure of the differences between 1 and 2 but I think it is looked at on a case by case basis.

Y593
2nd Jul 2009, 10:30
I lost my Class 1 due to Crohn's 25 years ago, but got and held Class 2 for that length of time.

On Asacol (Mesalazine) which is non-steroidal. I do believe that oral steroids will definately preclude a Class 1 Medical, but not sure about Class 2.

I'd honestly say that even if you get CAA Class 1 issued, getting employment from an airline will be nigh on impossible with Crohn's.

It ain't a nice disease when it's not in remission :sad: