PDA

View Full Version : CX

flynhigh
11th Jun 2009, 15:39
Hello All

I was selected as DEFO and am waiting for class date. Now I am hearing that CX will not hire anymore DEFO but will start hiring Cadet Pilot. My question is what is the different between Second Officer and Cadet. Do Cadet make less money but do same job SO do. Thanks for any info.

airplaneridesrfun
11th Jun 2009, 15:59
CX trains cadets in australia, then they become second officers. This is opposed to DESO. The pay is the same, but under LEP (locally employed) conditions. This means they do not get housing until they are a captain, or any other expat benefits. Not sure that CX needs to hire anyone else anytime soon.

If they offer you a SO course, will you take it?

flynhigh
11th Jun 2009, 16:07
Thanks for the reply.

Will I take a SO if they offer it to me. I hope its not loaded question, but truth be told yes I would take even when I have passed the DEFO interview and was placed in Pool. I look at it I am 35 years old and have 30 more years of flying and in due time I will move up to FO and Capt. I have about 8000 hours with about 3000 hours of Jet PIC. Typed in A320/E190/CRJ. I have been a Capt/Instructor/Check Airman on all type and Currently flying A320. I guess looking at the Auto pilot for few years will be welcome change and great way to learn how things work at CX. Now all that is if they Offer anything and even if they do will have to see if pass training. Thanks again for the Info.

joejet
11th Jun 2009, 16:36
I have not heard that they are only hiring cadets. Recently, they expanded the cadet program to anyone who will come to Hong Kong. These are for applicants with NO previous airline experience. The applicants from local Hong Kong residents has slowed down. If you were hired as a DEFO and they haven't said anything to the contrary, they things have not changed. These rumor boards are filled with errors. You may have to wait it out until next year, but that is true of almost any airline. When the time comes, make an inform decision then. In the airline business, as you know, plans can change with the wind.

Guru
11th Jun 2009, 17:31
A clarification:

Upon promoting to captain, pilots employed on a local contract do not get the same housing allowance as our expat colleagues do. The housing allowance local captains receive is that which is paid to Company level D staff. The amount is enormously different.

airplaneridesrfun
11th Jun 2009, 17:44
The push at CX now is to use seniority like it should be used, which is contrary to having any DEFO's. There are plenty of SO's that began with a similar amount of time as you, and their upgrade has been held back by DEFO's. Not DEFO's fault, just the company policy is flawed. CX's past erroneous statement was that upgrading an SO requried more training resources (upgrade the SO plus hire a new SO). Training resources were/are scarce (why, who knows!). That is why CX hired so many DEFO's. Additionally, that is why they are about to be paying tons of $$ in Bypass pay. As a conclusion, the future hiring of DEFO's may be on hold.... but that is just RUMOR, using logical thinking.

NOTE: CX does not use logic in their thinking, so you probably will be ok.

Cider30
11th Jun 2009, 20:16
Airplaneride,

Your post brings up the question, if it is smart to continue to hire SOs at all. Your post indicate that we should go back to straight seniority and hire only SOs.

Why not completely do away with SOs and have FOs as cruise pilot only?

I am not advocating neither but how do you think training would be at Cathay in times of expansion if every pilot had to be an SO before upgrading to FO. While I agree on your statement regarding a seniority based airline, I think the training department would crumble under the pressure of running everybody through SO training, FO upgrade etc. I think DEFO will still be around for a very long time. CX does not strike me as the company that will train 1 entry pilot and 1 conversion of a CX pilot if they could just train the new guy.

My 2 cents.

cider30

GTC58
11th Jun 2009, 22:16
Other airlines have successfully implemented cadet programs like Lufthansa and BA. The only difference is that cadets fly as FO's after finishing their training. Maybe thats what will happen here at CX ...... Who knows .....

4 driver
11th Jun 2009, 23:00
not enough sectors to keep all FO's current; SO's don't get landings.

Gone Down
11th Jun 2009, 23:47
SO's do at least 6 four hour simulator mod's per year which is a lot more than the requirements for FO currency, so why not upgrade SO's and use the free simulator sessions to keep currency for junior crew (read DEFO's) to maintain currency.

Grivation
11th Jun 2009, 23:48
flynhigh - you'd be completely insane to come to cx as an S/O with those sort of hours. Wait for a DEFO course. Just be aware that the quick upgrade that may have been promised to you on the freighter will no longer be available.

Ex Cathedra
12th Jun 2009, 07:31
I look at it I am 35 years old and have 30 more years of flying and in due time I will move up to FO and Capt.

Define: 'due time'... :}

flynhigh
12th Jun 2009, 15:01
I could be wrong but I am thinking 10 to 15 years....

boxjockey
12th Jun 2009, 15:23
You could be....

box :}

Sleeve_of_Wizard
13th Jun 2009, 03:50
I quote Grivation.....

flynhigh - you'd be completely insane to come to cx as an S/O with those sort of hours. Wait for a DEFO course. Just be aware that the quick upgrade that may have been promised to you on the freighter will no longer be available.

Why come to CX at all? Go straight into a Contract Command position at Korean or China Airlines. CX would be a VERY big step backwards for you!!!!

flynhigh
15th Jun 2009, 03:21
contract work is what its called, CONTRACT, few of my friends were just let go by JAL. I don't wish it on anybody. But you do have a point as KAL has a great contract right now.:ok: