PDA

View Full Version : Allergy medicine - relief or not?

Northbeach
11th Jun 2009, 06:16
As I aged I have developed seasonal allergies to pollen/grasses. Some years it is worse than others. Two FAA physical doctors ago, the original physician has since moved on to another field, put me on a non-drowsy allergy relief medicine (FAA approved). The results were wonderful; about a week later all symptoms were gone.

But his replacement, my current FAA doctor has a different philosophy. To sum it up it goes something like this; if you don’t feel well enough to fly and want to take something to feel better then you are not well enough to fly. Consequently this physician doesn’t want me taking any medication of any kind if I am flying. I have no other medical issues in the background nor is my health “fragile”. I can’t afford 3 – 4 months of sick leave each year. With the previous doc, in the same office, the solution was to take a widely available allergy pill once a day for 3 to 4 months and I felt fine. With the current doc the program seems to be-tough it out-or don’t fly.

So, I have been enduring the typical symptoms for the last two months and it is getting very old. I’m thinking of finding another doctor over this point. Why, if the symptoms can be treated with an approved over the counter medication, should I not take that medication? Is this zero tolerance for ‘approved’ medication a widely held position?

gingernut
11th Jun 2009, 06:52
Time and time again we find a lack of uniformity in the health service, resulting in detriments to patient care.

When I have this debate with my students, I ask them "would you get on a plane if the two pilots had different ways of landing it?"

On the facts you've presented, your docs advise seems unreasonable- seek another opinion if you can.

A quick word of caution about anti-histamines in general. The first generation lot can cause drowsiness, obviously a worry for you knob twiddlers, the manufacturers of the second generation lot claim
this isn't a problem, but this doesn't always seem to be the case in practice- obviously caution is advised.

PS, considered topical therapies ????

JohnRayner
11th Jun 2009, 08:38
Agree with above. This bloke gets paid to act in your best interests, within the parameters laid out by your governing bodies.

If you have symptoms that potentially preclude your flying, and you have a FAA sanctioned option that renders you fully functional, surely he's obliged to give it to you?

Also, if the medication is a) FAA approved and b) widely available over the counter, can you not just ignore your quack and treat yourself? Or MUST the treatment be provided by an FAA doc?

If the above is the case, I should get yourself another one!

In the UK we're slowly dragging ourselves away from the "I'm the doctor/ nurse and I'm the only one who knows what you need / never mind your opinion you're just the patient" by-product of the statist monstrosity that is the NHS. I'm surprised to hear such in the US, where I thought the customer is King?

JR

Northbeach
11th Jun 2009, 15:48
Thank you for your time. One of the most important benefits of membership in our pilots union (ALPA) is the aero medical branch. After posting here last night I went online and did some additional research. And now I have a call into one of the physicians. I am in the information gathering phase.

From the Union/medical web site it appears that there are approved over the counter, as well as prescription medication that are accepted by the FAA for pilot use while flying. Provided the pilot shows no adverse reaction while using it and the use of that medication is disclosed on the FAA medical form.

My dilemma is I respect this doctor I have been using. Several years ago he picked out a skin abnormality that was treated in time (prior FAA doctor missed it and the dermatologist did not think it was a problem (it was) when he saw it). I credit my current FAA medical doctor for saving my flying career and, more importantly probably my life. So, I would like to keep spending my health care dollars at his business. However on this point he is unyielding and little belligerent and it just doesn’t seem to be a reasonable position to me. Ultimately I will make my own decision, but I would like to be completely informed so thank you for educating me with your responses.

Respectfully,

gingernut
11th Jun 2009, 19:57
by-product of the statist monstrosity that is the NHS

:}:}:}:}

Wanna' know how much we spend?

Or, more importantly, wanna know how much we waste?

(Answers £96billion/year, probably 'bout a quarter of it, depends what you define as waste:))

Will someone please give me a proper brush to sweep away the dead wood?