PDA

View Full Version : Advice about some flight schools

airrider81
10th Jun 2009, 23:32
Hi everyone,
Been reading Pprune for a few days and its finally time to post!

I'm from India and looking at going to USA for a professional pilot program.
There are so many many different schools and you hear horror stories about many, some much more than others!

Not that these are the final list, but some that seem reasonable to be. Any information or recommendations or warnings on any of these would be appreciated!

US Flight Academy - Denton, Texas
Sunrise Aviation - Florida
Riverside Flight Academy - Tulsa (I heard this is where 200 Chinese students went, so others suffered. Is this still true etc?)
Ormond Beach Aviation (website says the course is about USD 30k. Is that right? Seems cheap compared to the others. I bet I'm missing something! :)) I can't find their email address on the site; does anyone know it?

Any other schools that are recommended for foreigners which have good instructor to student ratio and are honest etc? All the typical things! :)
I don't mind anywhere in USA..
Thanks in advance! :)

A and C
11th Jun 2009, 06:43
Take a good look around these forums and you will see comments on a number of traning providors.

Please don't limit your options to the USA, Australia, NZ, Canada & the UK have places that offer value for money.

airrider81
11th Jun 2009, 06:47
Thanks A & C for the post.
I have searched here and the problem is there are TOO many choices lol!

The reason everyone tells me to go to USA is because its easiest and quickest with the least number of exams. Then I just need to go to India to sit for all of their exams. :(

What are your thoughts/views on this?

A and C
11th Jun 2009, 08:15
It all depends if you want a JAA or FAA licence, the FAA is a lot less trouble to get from a practical point of view as it is not steeped in the useless accademic rubbish that the europeans ask on the ground exams.

But don't go away thinking that the FAA are an easy option, they are far more interrested in your practical flying ability and the flight test will be a real workout of your practical skills.

Think about the job you want and the location, then you will know what type of licence that you require.

As with life you will only get what you pay for and sometimes a lot less so what ever you do DON'T PAY THE WHOLE COURSE FEE UP FRONT reputable company's will understand this and the crooks will offer you a discount to get all of your cash. Don't be tempted, it is not worth the 5% discount to hand over your option to walk away from a bad training providor.

airrider81
11th Jun 2009, 08:19
Your absolutely right A and C! I know nobody should pay up front. Most places are asking to maintain USD 2-3k on account at all times, which I assume is fair?

Since I'm an Indian citizen and its unlikely any other country would hire me, I will be aiming for FAA, and then do the conversion in India where there are a few tests. Maybe that's similar to the JAA tests; so I definitely don't want to go through it twice, lol.

Thanks again. If you have any feedback/suggestions on flight schools, please let me know! :)

daveyb
11th Jun 2009, 19:00
While i did my training at OBA ,Sunrise aviation thought mainly students from India if you do a search there might be some past/present students on the forum who could tell you what its like .

wis3384
12th Jun 2009, 19:23
if your goal is to head out to usa ,...then i highly recommend u .,..to check Phoenix East Aviation, Flight School, Pilot Training in Florida - Phoenix East Aviation Flight School (http://www.pea.com)