PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet Hand Luggage

wowzz
10th Jun 2009, 21:25
Can anyone please enlighten me as to EJ's exact hand luggage policy please.[In reality rather than what they publish on their web-site] Checking in at Stn today, my wife was told that her small hand-bag had to be placed inside her hand-luggage. This she did, although it required a fair amount of re-organisation [I'm not getting into any issues about women and hand-bags here]
Going through security many other pax were taking 2 or 3 pieces of hand luggage with them, including those with lap-tops.
Then prior to boarding, a message was broadcast over the pa stating that only one piece of hand-luggage per person was allowed - anyone with more than one piece would be denied boarding! All very draconian, but blow me down, loads of pax got on with two pieces of luggage, with not a word being said! I can tell you that Mrs Wowzz was not a happy bunny!
My main point, to be serious, is that if EJ do have a policy of one piece of hand luggage then it should be enforced, and everyone will then know where they stand. To threaten pax that they will be denied boarding and then not to carry out the threat seems to be a waste of time and only antagonises those who have complied with the one piece of hand luggage dictat.
Any comments would be welcome.

Icare9
10th Jun 2009, 21:48
easyJet are quite a nice company to fly with, so a bit surprised at the treatment Mrs Wowzz (I'd love to hear how she earned that name - preferably by PM!!) received, especially if not applied to all.

We've had a similar issue with "that" airline, and as we don't need more than 1 item of hand luggage (now that we have all we need in our place in Spain) it really is aggravating when you see people struggling to carry on bags which are heavier than them and only just go into the overhead locker (sod anyone else trying to get anything into the space left. They have notices on their website, at check in, at the boarding gate, but do they do anything? Only if you bug them.... that's their way of putting you in your place.

If there is a policy, enforce it, otherwise don't annoy me by telling me one thing and letting others do another.

smala01
10th Jun 2009, 23:36
I’ve noticed this being enforced much more stringently over the last few months, especially by the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet.

I must say the rule is for good reason; there is simply not enough room in the overhead bins for all bags when the plane is full. I have witnessed some very annoyed passengers having their HAND luggage taken off them and put in the hold, through no fault of their own, as there was no space left!

Smala01

Der absolute Hammer
11th Jun 2009, 04:51
Easyjet have a hand baggage size limit?
They also restrict pax to one piece of hand luggage.
There is (within reason) no weight limit on this.

Security do not know who is first, second or third class so the hand bags passing through security are of no specific or particular significance to an Easy flight.
At the gate passenegers are reminded of the one bag rule to enable them to reconcile all their post security purchases, duty free etc, into the one bag.
If pax got on your flight with more than one piece if hand bagggage then it looks like Easyjet employees were being pragmatic.
You can travel with as many peices of baggage as you like as long as you can get them all in to one size limited bag when required to do so. You can always shove a bottle of duty free into each overcoat pocket!

WHBM
11th Jun 2009, 08:53
I can't believe a low-cost carrier with a 20-minute turnround is going to deny boarding to pax with two items of hand luggage and then have to go through all the hoopla of offloading their baggage from the hold etc.

In passing I notice some items sold airside in the shops are larger than the theoretical maximum size allowed for hand baggage. I wonder just how one is expected to legitimately take away such items.

UniFoxOs
11th Jun 2009, 11:10
Security do not know who is first, second or third class so the hand bags passing through security are of no specific or particular significance to an Easy flight.

Self and Mrs UFO flew on CheesyJet from LTN recently - security were deffo refusing entry to pax with more than one bag.

Cheers
UFO

Dropline
11th Jun 2009, 15:57
It can also depend on the booked load - no point gate staff wasting time and energy arguing with pax over hand luggage if the flight is only half full!

WHBM
11th Jun 2009, 16:44
Self and Mrs UFO flew on CheesyJet from LTN recently - security were deffo refusing entry to pax with more than one bag.
Perhaps we could ask the Airport Manager on what authority security staff enforce the commercial policies of individual airlines to the extent of denying some passengers access through security dependent on which carrier they are booked on. It appears to me they are exceeding their legal authority in doing so for non-security reasons.

Notably immediately after security you can buy as many bags as you want from the airport's own shops.

Dropline
12th Jun 2009, 07:03
Taken from Luton Airport Website...
Important Passenger Information - Hand Baggage

We would like to advise passengers that there have been no changes to restrictions on hand luggage at London Luton Airport and the following still apply

STRICTLY ONE PIECE OF HAND BAGGAGE PER PASSENGER
LAP TOP COMPUTERS COUNT AS ONE PIECE OF HAND BAGGAGE AND SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM CASE PRIOR TO SCREENING
LIQUIDS LIMITED IN QUANTITY TO 100 ML TO BE CARRIED IN A RESEALABLE PLASTIC BAG

Fake Sealion
12th Jun 2009, 08:17
Flew EJ from East Midlands 2 weeks back. Got into a "dispute" at check in concerning dimesions of carry on case.
Must say I fully support the 1 bag per person policy but its the nature of the bag dimensions which is the issue.

I bought a case after carefully measuring them at the shop against the dimesions on the EJ website - fine.-Including the wheels !!!

Asked to place the bag in the fitting box and it took some doing to place it at the right angle to fit in. Seemed odd as there was over 1 cm spare in the measurements. The soft fabric handle was protruding beyond the framework by about 2 cm and they merrily began the process of charging me for hold baggage.:ugh: Only some animated protest on my part prevented this from happening!

The point is simple.
Do to dimensions on the website really reflect the dimension of the frame box at check in?

Would it not be better if the check in box was just that - a solid box rather than a frame - it either goes in or not - no bits sticking out!

Lastly - before anyone says "but its a lo co and seats are only 99p etc etc"
I paid £188 for a this Malaga return ticket.

Alanwsg
12th Jun 2009, 09:05
LAP TOP COMPUTERS COUNT AS ONE PIECE OF HAND BAGGAGE AND SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM CASE PRIOR TO SCREENING... So, am I reading that right?
You can take a laptop OR a bag, but not a laptop IN a bag?
(As you would have to remove it and would then have 2 pieces of hand baggage)?

Dropline
12th Jun 2009, 12:00
The laptop has to be screened separately. If it's packed in your suitcase it must be removed, then taken out of its own bag/case (if it has one) before it is x rayed. You then put it back in your suitcase...

Evanelpus
12th Jun 2009, 14:13
Slightly off thread but Mrs Elpus's Mum has just told her that Easy Jet charge £15 for each suicase loaded into the hold.

I know Easy limit you to one piece of hold luggage but I didn't think they charged you for the priviledge. Can someone please confirm or dispell this so I can put her straight?

Thanks

Dropline
12th Jun 2009, 15:10
Easyjet charge their passengers to check in hold baggage. It is cheaper to pay in advance online or at the time of booking than to pay at the airport. Their website will have the latest fees.

PAXboy
12th Jun 2009, 15:54
Since RYR realised that you could charge people for carrying hold baggage, it is no surprise that others have copied them.

(I know this is repeating the common sense but)
Research your trip
Plan your trip
Pay a reasonable prices that balances your convenience

wowzz
12th Jun 2009, 21:25
Straying off my original question a little, I would just like to say a word of praise to EJ, for allowing hold baggage weight to be amalgamated when more than one person is travelling. eg If there are two pax, the combined weight of the two pieces of hold luggage can be 40kg. Ryanair of course will not let you do this [and only allow 15kg]
Hopefully EJ will stick to this policy and not go down the Ryanair route.

smala01
15th Jun 2009, 12:08
Just completed my 10th sector this year.

Seems the process goes like this:

If you need to check in: ALL bags near the limit must be placed into the metal measuring rack. If it doesn’t fit then you have to pay to have it placed in the hold. There are no exceptions t seems!

If you check in online: It seems a visual check is all that happens here. You can get away with a bag slightly larger than the dimensions. Be careful though, as a few times i have found "online checkin" not available at foreign airports and having to checkin at the desk (where they asked me to place the bag in the rack). The one bag rule is definitely enforced!

The rack does seem very tight. If you have a soft suitcase (like mine) then its easy to bulge in the wrong place so it will not fit. Also be careful that published luggage dimensions usually do not include the wheels!

I will measure the rack next time I’m at the airport (my second home!)

Smala01

Fake Sealion
15th Jun 2009, 12:21

Yes please do -will be very interested in the figures!

urok
28th Jun 2009, 14:09
Yes please do -will be very interested in the figures!

My airline's unit's are actually 50mm LARGER than the measurements provided when passengers book. However, this doesn't stop any of the passengers that routinely abuse me for enforcing our airlines policy - and all we do is hold stow the item! No charge, no delay, no nothing!
And of course it was checked in the store and it fit the allowable dimesions - that was before it was taken home and stuffed chockablock with everything up to the kitchen sink!

Doesn't stop me from being abused, threatened, spat at, swore at, physically intimidated, swung at etc etc, for doing my job! No wonder I've got a drinking problem!

Grasscarp
28th Jun 2009, 15:01
From what I have seen it seems to depend on which airport you are flying from. At Luton they certainly enforce the one bag policy, so had to stuff handbag into suitcase and take it out again after I had got through. Crazy.
At Pisa (earlier this week) was worried as bag fuller for return (isnt it always) so unable to stuff handbag into case. Boldly went through with two bags, and handbag had the liquids in see through bag. So many items bag would not close and when I read the notices said maximum 11 items - and I had 13. However the screening staff took absolutely no notice of me at all.
Seems that the policy of one bag is not universal, and if you can then add extra bags bought airside it all seems a bit senseless.

Businesstraveller
29th Jun 2009, 11:44
It's more circumstance than strick application of rules from my experience. Whenever I'm travelling with one of the cheapo airlines (WW/EZ/FR) I sometimes look longingly at fellow travellers at security who are travelling with decent carriers (BA/BD/AF etc) and wish I could have two good size bags, no questions asked. But you get what you pay for in life: cheap flight = rigid application of restrictive rules. Clearly it's not just an issue of cabin space (as the airlines would have you believe), as the proper airlines offer valet baggage services, which I've found marvellously useful over the years. Again, you get what you pay for.

PAXboy
29th Jun 2009, 12:05
Whilst I agree with you, Businesstraveller, the point made by Grasscarp is correct. I have seen (as have we all) the same carrier implement their rules differently at different airport or, crucially, in different ways at the same airport at different times. Likewise, airport staff do what they have been told because each airport interpret the rules differently. This may vary from one week to the next or by the minute and the pax just in front of you. All the examples are detailed in countless threads in countless forums here. The UK gov and airports have zero interest in sorting it out as that would cost time and money.

The lack of consistency is what grates and (in the UK) both EZY and RYR are guilty of this and my regular airports of LTN, LHR and LGW are too.

WHBM
29th Jun 2009, 12:35
To all the people who write that one should follow the detailed Terms & Conditions, I would point oiut that, notwithstanding their onerous length to the extent that a UK court would normally hold them to be unreasonable and unenforceable, they can be complete nonsense.

A case in point was the detail given to me on a web booking for an 06.45 departure, which stated that the LATEST check in time was 2 hours before departure. This time is actually before the terminal building even is opened for the day !

Businesstraveller
29th Jun 2009, 14:56
PAXboy - I'm in full agreement with both the original post and your subsequent post. My point is obviously a general one clearly. Many a time I've observed travellers at the receiving end of inconsistently applied rules. At one of the scale I've metaphorically raised my eyebrows at the size of hand luggage some folks try (and sometimes get away with) taking on board - truly they are taking the p1ss. Personally I've benefited from check-in staff who couldn't care less about the fee meant to be levied for extra legroom seats, when I've been given them gratis just because I asked. At the other end of the scale I've seen PAX boarding, with one getting large hand luggage past a disinterested member of ground staff, whist the other queue had ground staff acting with all the grace, fair mindedness and consideration of a Polish ghetto gate keeper.