PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys read??

girlfromtheecho
10th Jun 2009, 14:56
Hi there,

I'm a reporter at the Liverpool Echo in Liverpool, England and in the midst of sorting out our new armed forces blog.

In the meantime I thought I'd test the water and quiz your colleagues on e-goat (plus the girls and lads on the Army and Navy rumour networks) about what they read when they're away.

It would be great if you guys could let me know what you read when you're out of the country or training - you can see what the others wrote and post your own responses on The Time Traveller's Wife... on the prairies? - Liverpool Echo - First Rule of Book Club (http://bit.ly/672i5).

So, what do you guys read??? Same stuff or different???

Krueger Flap
10th Jun 2009, 21:48
Hello Girl from the Echo,

There is another thread on this forum that might be of some use to you, called Very Good Military Read. It may not answer your question directly, but might give you some pointers:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/371299-very-good-military-read.html

TheInquisitor
11th Jun 2009, 07:42
Read the Echo? I used to deliver it, way back in the day......

ArthurR
11th Jun 2009, 18:53
Girlfromtheecho, before the time of e-mails, internet, even a telephone with in reach, one used to rely on the royal mail for info from the family ect. At that time any book by any writter was always worth reading, it was away of passing time..

L J R
12th Jun 2009, 10:00
actually, I still only look at the pictures while on Det....

seanbean
12th Jun 2009, 10:41
I prefer the "Classics" myself: Wheels of Terror (Sven Hassel) is always good for starters... and of course anything by JT Edson.

Willard Whyte
12th Jun 2009, 10:52
Motorsport
The Economist
Top Gear
Tom Clancy

onetrack
12th Jun 2009, 10:59
WW2 Action comics, of course, when on duty. When caught with them, they are always dutifully described as - "training pamphlets, Sir! .. " ;)

ShyTorque
12th Jun 2009, 11:01
Easy.

RAF read anything academic, technical or cultural.
Army read the Beano.
Navy read Gay news.

:ok:

TMJ
12th Jun 2009, 12:27
Last time I was OOA I got through Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom series, The Count of Monte Cristo, Portrait of the Artist as a Yong Man and Vanity Fair. Luckily I was able to bring these all electronically on my phone, as the dead tree weight of them ywould have been considerable. I must start stocking up on ebooks for this winter's trip to the 'Stan...

Last time I flew overseas I read Dean Richards' autobiography, but I was flying out to the Aki 10s... 8-)

woptb
12th Jun 2009, 14:42
WW2 Action comics, of course, when on duty. When caught with them, they are always dutifully described as - "training pamphlets, Sir! .. "

Ah yes,the old Rock Ape AP's!

camelspyyder
12th Jun 2009, 15:13
Whatever freebies arrived in a big brown parcel from the "Daily Sport" after leaving our BFPO address on their website:ok:

although there wasn't actually much text to read...

A belated thankyou from all of my unit to the publishers of the Sport.
:D:D:D:D:D

do they still support the front line like that???

NUFC1892
12th Jun 2009, 18:53
I have got a bunch of R F Delderfield paperbacks - God is an Englishman,To Serve Them All My Days, A Horseman Riding By etc that I have taken on my last few 4 monthers. Given that the working hours are usually somewhat longer OOA they usually tend to last for the first three months and after that I will read anything that takes my mind off being away from home - mostly military/social history fiction. I reckon that my Delderfields have got one more read in them before I hand my uniform back.

Anyone turning up at Brize Norton for a flight that doesn't have a book with them is either a first timer or an eternal optimist.