View Full Version : 18 London Applying for cabin crew but no car

london-beauty
10th Jun 2009, 11:51
Hi everyone
I've always wanted to be cabin crew and have now decided I will try and apply as I have just turned 18. I have had 2 years customer service experience for some really high end companys and I have gd GCSES and almost finished an NVQ ( non travel related )
The problem -
I live in central London and would only like to be based at London airports as I will be relying on public transport ( which will take about an hour to get to any london airport)
Is it worth applying? The trains start running at about 4-5am, are cabin crew usually needed to be at the airport before this time.
Should I wait until I do some lessons get a license and a car before applying.
I dont want to apply, get an interview and have to turn it down due to travel problems & jepodise my future applications.

HELP NEEDED

thanks x

Evanelpus
10th Jun 2009, 12:55
If you are good enough, they'll give you the job whether you drive, train, tube or pogostick. Even if you could drive, chances are you would get more delayed on the British road system than you would if you used public transport.

You'll know your flight schedule in advance and it's up to you to be at the pre-flight briefing at the appointed time. Start missing them and you'll be looking for alternative employment.

Go for it!

starbag
10th Jun 2009, 13:45
Hi there, at bmi LHR there are LOADS of crew who use public transport to get in. On earlies when the tubes aren't working, it can involve a bit of a journey with a couple of night bus journeys, but it is doable. Just be prepared for a bit of a long journey and to be stared at while you sit there in your uniform!

joshmist03
10th Jun 2009, 17:58
Honey you need to go for it and make the transport system work for you.

Try not to let small obstacles put you off such as early shifts or traffic. Im ex longhaul and used to drive from leicester (mids) to LHR to do flts and drive back again. I would give my right arm to be able to hop on a tube or couple of coaches to be able to go to work without a car. In time, your commute will get easier, and youll become savy with timetables etc, you will be fine and good luck!!

Go live the dream:ok:

danni14
10th Jun 2009, 22:24
yeah i agree. you should just go for it. I didnt have a car when I started flying and used buses and trains. If it was a really early check in at around 3 or 4am then I did have to get a taxi but I loved my job so it didnt really matter to me. you would have standby duties as well and if you get called then you usually have 90 minutes to get to the airport to start your shift. As long as you can make it in that time then you should be fine. good luck x

london-beauty
11th Jun 2009, 13:41
Thanks everyone!
I've just applied for easyjet & ryan air, may not be the greatest airlines but i'll give it a go :ok: