PDA

View Full Version : Has any been to Ormond Beach Aviation?

paton400
10th Jun 2009, 07:58
Anyone been to OBA? I am trying to decide where to go for my PPL.

OBA are offering the full course for £3600. Is that a realistic price, or would i expect to pay more than that?

My other option is to do it at the Scottish Aero Club for £5000

cirruscrystal
10th Jun 2009, 09:05
Hello - I have flown into Ormond Beach but dont really know a great deal about it. Once you incorporate flights, accomodation and extended stay, VISA costs, i would really recomend completing it in UK. Costs which you may well find would be equal or worse afterall.

More important than price in my view is the training which you will recieve. I think you would find the quality and relevance of the training to really set you up for private flying in the UK, not sure you would find the same at OBA.

Good luck with it all and hope you enjoy it:ok:

kalleh
10th Jun 2009, 09:08
Been there, had a great time. Be prepared to work hard and always have a professional attitude towards the training, instructors and staff. They are very clear regarding what is included and not included, the only extra cost was an extra insurance that was "voluntary". They deliver what you pay for, no more no less, don't expect extravaganza :)

I was there spring 2007 when they were still operating the Liberty XL2, I loved the aircraft but agree it is a bit more sensitive to wrong input during landing compared to a Pa28/C152. But it was a joy to fly!

Edit re cirrus: OBA delivers what they say they will deliver, and you are wrong, they are clearly cheaper even when adding the travel costs. VISA, accommodation and literature (!) costs are included in their package price (or at least was when I went there).

suraci
10th Jun 2009, 19:38
Kind of depends on whether you normally eat at Mummycafe, travel by Daddytaxi, sleep and get your laundry done at Motelmumanddad.

Points to consider -

Package price at Perth is based on 45 hours in 6 months. If you can only fly at weekends you might struggle to fly the 45 hours in 6 months due to personal factors / weather / instructor / aircraft availablity / (you will not be the only student).

The cost of 40 odd trips Edinburgh - Perth - Edinburgh by car is about the same as a return flight from Edinburgh to Orlando.

You will have some landing fees for cross country navexes. Does the package at Perth include skill test fee and aircraft for skill test?

At OBA you will have transfer costs for pick up at start of course and drop off to Orlando airport at end. Accommodation costs will add about £400.

Travel to London or Belfast for visa interview plus visa, fingerprint, and TSA fees could come to about £300. Also cost of midweek day off work if applicable.

OBA include test fee and aircraft for test. There are no landing fees.

Groceries from Walmart are cheaper than Asda. At 19 you will not get into any bar or be able to buy alcohol (but room mates will help out).

Neither package includes text books, charts, fuel tester etc.

If you are living in the parental home and price is your only criterion then current exchange rate only gives OBA a slight edge.

If you want an intensive course in the company of like minders, OBA is the way to go.

Pay your money and take your choice.

Wee Weasley Welshman
10th Jun 2009, 21:35
Without a seconds hesitation I advise you to train at Scottish Aero Club as if your very life depended on it.

ali1986
10th Jun 2009, 22:55
Has anyone does any hourbuilding here?

CrazyStuntPilot
10th Jun 2009, 23:21
I've been there in June 2006, studied for 6 months ahead of time with the maunals they provided, and passed my private with minimum hours in 3 weeks. Good experience. I don't know how it is now though.

TicketyBlue
11th Jun 2009, 11:30
I was at OBA in January 2009. I'm based on the Scottish West Coast and had no problems adapting to VFR flying here, although initially I thought I would. Keep your head down at OBA and get on with the course and you'll be fine. I would allow 6 weeks just to be sure. Instructors are as good as you'll find anywhere. Train in the UK if you wish, but it will take a while longer, mainly due to the Scottish weather, obviously.

freon1978
20th Oct 2009, 14:59
I did some flying there in the summer of 2008 and i would not recommend them in any way shape or form.
Some people will get on with them just fine i'm sure but i would not use them again.

I will say the instructor i flew with (Jason) was very good