PDA

View Full Version : Wiltshire Air Ambulance Appeal told to buzz off

Cpt_Pugwash
9th Jun 2009, 10:28
May be a storm in a teacup, but something of an own goal for Sainsburys....
From a local newspaper article here (http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/headlines/4406117.Wiltshire_Air_Ambulance_Appeal_told_to_buzz_off/).

"
The Wiltshire Air Ambulance Appeal has been ordered to remove fund-raising clothing banks from three Sainsbury’s supermarkets in Wiltshire because the company favours other charities.
Danny Williamson, the owner of Devizes Textiles, who runs the clothing bank scheme for the Wiltshire Air Ambulance said he was disgusted at the actions of Sainsbury’s which has told him the banks at their branches in Calne, Melksham and in Stratton St Margaret, Swindon, must be removed..
Mr Williamson has 17 Wiltshire Air Ambulance clothing banks at various locations in WIltshire. He set the scheme up earlier this year and got approval from the managers of the Sainsbury’s stores in Calne and Swindon to change over existing clothing banks he had there to raise funds for the Wiltshire Air Ambulance Appeal.
Melanie Gee, administrator of the appeal, got permission from the manager of the Melksham branch of Sainsbury’s for a clothing bank to be sited there.
Last week Ms Gee received a letter from James McKechnie, recycling and resources manager at Sainsbury’s head office, telling her the clothing banks had to go.
Mr McKechnie says in his letter: “We have specific agreements in place with Oxfam and the Salvation Army to provide textile recycling banks and we are now trying to rationalise our sites, because as you will appreciate that the presence of other banks are detrimental to the interests of our preferred suppliers.”
Mr McKechnie also says if the Wiltshire Air Ambulance clothing banks are not removed by June 4 Sainsbury’s will give the banks to the Salvation Army or Oxfam for their use.
Ms Gee and Mr Williamson have both written to Sainsbury’s head office requesting the banks stay but Sainsbury’s has refused.
Ms Gee said: “I am really disappointed. Sainsbury’s is promoting small charities to mark its 140th birthday celebrations and each store is raising money for a chosen charity. On its website Sainsbury’s says ‘By supporting a local charity we can give something back to the community by helping with fun-raising and volunteering’ yet that is exactly what Sainsbury’s is not doing in relation to the Wiltshire Air Ambulance.”
Mr Williamson donates what he pays for clothes, shoes and handbags put into the clothing banks to the Wiltshire Air Ambulance Appeal. He then sells the goods, mostly to African countries, where they are sold to people.
The three clothing banks at the Sainsburys stores have raised on average £400 a month for the Wiltshire Air Ambulance Appeal.
Mr Williamson said: “I don’t understand why Sainsbury’s has taken a harsh attitude. I think it is disgusting. The Wiltshire Air Ambulance saves lives and can potentially benefit every single person in WIltshire. It also helps reduce crime because it is a joint helicopter with the police.
“Other supermarkets are supporting it by having clothing banks in their car parks.”
Mr Williamson has set a target of raising more than £10,000 a year for the Wiltshire Air Ambulance Appeal from the clothing banks.
The Wiltshire Air Ambulance Appeal has to raise £500,000 a year to keep the air ambulance flying and relies entirely on donations from the public. "

500e
9th Jun 2009, 13:28
Mr McKechnie says in his letter: “We have specific agreements in place with Oxfam and the Salvation Army to provide textile recycling banks and we are now trying to rationalise our sites, because as you will appreciate that the presence of other banks are detrimental to the interests of our preferred suppliers.”

So that's where they get the dog on a string.

Lost Again
9th Jun 2009, 16:42
I know which one I would stick my old Y fronts in as I am sure the fund for the Air Ambulance does not support 100K per year charity executives as no doubt Oxfam do, plus the Salvation army could put on a nice brass band at your funeral but probably could not fund a helicopter to get you treated at A and E.

Regards

richard

turboshaft
9th Jun 2009, 18:28
Based on recollections of Calne from transiting through Lyneham in the '80s, the likely loss to the Air Ambulance Appeal will be about $25 worth of used polyester tracksuits... :E

helispeediii
9th Jun 2009, 19:48
well justin we all know where to shop in future and it wont be in your shops, lets try to rally others to boycott this particular small minded store plus your local one helispeediii

md 600 driver
10th Jun 2009, 07:13
well it looks like tesco in future vote with feet start a boycott

Wiltshire Air
10th Jun 2009, 15:04
Thank you to all of you for your support. It is much appreciated.

Melanie Gee
Wiltshire Air Ambulance

interceptor99
11th Jun 2009, 09:32
Well Sainsburys want to support local charities......hmmm.....this smells of highly paid directors of Oxfam and Salvation Army getting together with highly paid directors of Sainsburys.....

Well sorry Sainsburys... you have lost my custom and also many other people in Wiltshire feel the same. ( And they say Members of Parliament have misbehaved recently ) I think Sainsburys need to address this as it stinks.