PDA

View Full Version : Question for you Dick: CASA and Duty of Care regarding drunk ABPs ?

And that was that
9th Jun 2009, 07:52
Was wondering Dick, what’s your thoughts on CASA allowing Australian airlines’ cabin crews, to brief Able Bodied Passengers (ABP) on operating jet aircraft EXIT doors during emergency evacuation, not only on take-offs (they’re sober at that moment), however during an emergency decent on route or the landing at destination, when they’ve all been drinking, some even legless?. Are they still “Able” BPs ?

If cabin crew can’t enjoy a Saint-Emilion on the cruise as they have to remain sober to operate emergency exits, then how come the punters are placed in such a responsible position, allowed to drink (sometimes as groups they become close to being paralytic in these precincts ) and to then act on behalf of the remaining passengers, top operate the over-wing exits (no cabin crew within cooe of those group of doors as you know) let alone assisting the lone purser by her/himself at the sharp end, during the rush of an evacuation.

How have CASA, with all their wherewithal come to accept this practice? Should someone get hurt due to inebriated ABPs being incapable of operating those doors correctly, won’t CASA be up to ask “why” and “how” did they come to approve this practice and as to CASA’s lack of ‘Duty of care’ . On the flip-side, should CASA mandate all ABPs not to be allowed to drink during the flight, then that’ll cause a field day during boarding and seating, with the amount of knock-backs ? However, the right thing to do, is just that !

Every time I fly up to the Gold Coast & back, I experience this, as fellow punters, we all shake our heads in disbelief when these shenanigans go on, with CASA’s knowledge, obviously !

Do CASA have to answer to this? They seem to have come down on everything else over the years!
……………………………………………………………………………………………..

airtags
9th Jun 2009, 08:51
forget where CASA stands on the issue and check your own company's SOPs.

From my my position however:

If you've got an intoxicated pax in the exit row I would want to know:
1) Were they intoxicated prior too departure Iif so why was this not observed during the pax briefing - if the pax is really bad why he/she was boarded anyway.
2) If not - how did they become intoxicated (was there a breakdown in the CC's RSA complaince?)
but the main question I would want answered:

3) Have you moved them to another seat for landing?

Seems to me that your pitch has more to do with the issue of crew numbers and the fact that right around the world Type 3 overwing exits have been relegated to the self service category.

(which for the record is a BAD idea ..............although that said, I cannot imagine a CC getting to the overwing on say a 737 from either doors one or two anyway - for the LCC's amongst us, that includes the instruction for their L2P.

The reality is that that if a CC becomes responsible for the overwing exits they need to be there not at either end of the a/c - apart from being trampled in the rush - if you only have reduced/min crew this means there is a primary door left unguarded, unshephered which in the event of fire etc could be a fast ride to hell.)

If a pax in an exit row is, IN THE MIND OF THE CC, not appropriate to comply with the requirements in any way - inc., after having a drink, then they should be moved. - and I'd always back up the CC making this decision 100%.

If the pax has paid for the exit row seat .... give them the claim form or better still AJ's phone number........or a bottle as they disembark :E

AT

PS: Dick is not at CASA

Work-4-It
9th Jun 2009, 09:34
Maybe Pax should be alcohol and drug tested before being seated in the exit row.

Ovation
9th Jun 2009, 10:01
I reckon it's Dick who must have been pissed today. There's reports that he's paid/paying Bob Brown's legal fees of $240,000 so he won't go bankrupt and get booted out of the Senate. :=

tail wheel
9th Jun 2009, 12:31
Was wondering Dick, what’s your thoughts on CASA allowing Australian airlines’ cabin crews, to brief Able Bodied Passengers (ABP) on operating jet aircraft EXIT doors during emergency evacuation....

Dick who? :confused: If you are referring to Mr Smith, it has been ten years since he held office at CASA?

Passengers drink in the exit rows now - are you suggesting that when passengers pay for the privilege of sitting in an exit row, prohibition should prevail? :confused:

The point of this thread is........... ?????? :confused:

Jabawocky
9th Jun 2009, 12:32
Well I have probably wasted a bit of lose change at some point, same goes for Dick. we all make mistakes.

But CRIKEY what the **** was he thinking....... a perfect way to get rid of a dill out of politics in my opinion.:ugh:

assasin8
9th Jun 2009, 23:54
With so many "dills", it's hard to keep count of them all!

Probably better to count those that are actually there and making a difference... That leaves three, in my opinion. Leave it to you guys to work that one out...

By the way, at least Bob Brown stood by his convictions! You may not agree with them, but many Aussies do...